• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Indian food have you been cooking?

aneja_r

• 3 months later...

Patrickamory, I guess you are right - with low humidity levels you might need to spray the soil so that it remains moist.

It's true that I use more fresh turmeric than ginger so I do not have the experience of it going mouldy, but I'm lucky to source fresh ginger and turmeric easily. I buy about 100g of turmeric and about 500g of ginger so, turmeric gets over earlier than ginger.

That said I've never had either turmeric or ginger go bad at my place...

Let us know about your experiences :-)

yes, SPRAY to moisten the top layer, but not a deluge from a watering can.

nowadays with the easy availability of fresh turmeric, ginger, and other asian spices from where i am, i dont bother... just buy enough to last a month or so, and they will be ok on my kitchen countertop. No, i dont keep them in the fridge. Turmeric will keep much better and for a longer time than ginger.

Obviously, the length of time that they will remain useable depends on how fresh they were when bought.

However, I do grow turmeric (and a few other herbs, spices, etc) indoors, mostly for the leaves, which is required in some Malaysian recipes, eg rendang, and i add them to south indian style curries, whether it is called for or not. To grow turmeric, water the pot regularly, instead of just spraying to moisten. If you are patient enough, they will even produce new turmeric rhizomes.

It's dangerous to eat, it's more dangerous to live.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been experimenting with sous-vide cooking and decided to see how low-effort an Indian dish I could make. I stuffed a vacuum bag with fresh spinach and then I mixed fenugreek leaf, kalonji, chaat masala (home-made, with black salt) ground coriander, turmeric, mango powder, yogurt and a touch of cream. After mixing all that I poured it into the spinach and sealed. No frying, no onions, no chili, no garlic, no ginger. I cooked it at 85C for 40 minutes. This should have been a total failure on moral grounds alone--so little effort deserves a commensurate reward. But it wasn't. The sauce developed a nice golden color and the dish was pleasantly sour. It complemented some other dishes quite well. I think sous-vide Indian (or "Indian-inspired") cooking is well worth exploring.