• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

aneja_r

What Indian food have you been cooking?

Hi Friends

A very important everyday question, What should I cook today???? It would be interesting to know what everyone out there is eating and cooking for lunch and dinner......

We had whole urid dahl curried with plenty of ginger, chapatis, vindaloo pork, and cucumber/mint rita. The leftover dahl was sealed inside chapati dough and fried like a calzone for lunch the next day (served with lime pickle).

The leftover dahl was sealed inside chapati dough and fried like a calzone for lunch the next day (served with lime pickle).

That sounds amazing!

Hi Okanagancook

Urad Dhal inside chapati dough is delicious! Sounds very similar to Bedmi Puri.

It's a great way to use up leftover dough and any kind of dahl. The dahl just has to be not too thin...I usually reduce the liquid in the saucepan before putting in the fridge overnight that way it's easier to pack into the pockets. I have also frozen extra pockets on a sheet pan in the freezer then wrapped in foil for a quick lunch. Sometimes the dahl leaks out and gets nice and crispy in the pan :-))

These are not deep fried like puri though, just in a frying pan with a nice bit of ghee to create a crispy exterior to the dough while heating the dahl inside.

My family is Indian, so we eat curries and the like quite often. I have been branching out to other styles than we usually have though, SA cooking is a bit different from Indian-styled cooking.

Kheema matar is one of our favorites - I make it all the time.

Fresh turmeric makes all the difference with this dish.

I've never tried fresh turmeric. Can you freeze the extra?

Patrickamory, I agree! :-) I have trick leave fresh turmeric at room temperature, but wrapped up in a kitchen towel (cloth) - it lasts for months without drying out - good for ginger too or even better just bury the roots in a pot and take out a bit as needed.

Patrickamory, I agree! :-) I have trick leave fresh turmeric at room temperature, but wrapped up in a kitchen towel (cloth) - it lasts for months without drying out - good for ginger too or even better just bury the roots in a pot and take out a bit as needed.

a pot of soil? sand? I hate refrigerating ginger, I will try this

Soil, just like it would be in a pot - it's stays super fresh, does not get stringy and if you're lucky, it would even sprout and you might get a plant in spring.

No need to water this in winter.

The soil needs to be humid but not wet at all.

In places with dry winters - especially NYC apartments! - I suspect you'd have to do some watering. The soil would turn to sand in a couple days.

That said, bague, I'm going to give your method a try!

janeer, I hate refrigerating ginger too, but turmeric seems to react differently despite being a root. It does go moldy eventually though.

I've been on an Indian food kick lately, and have been re-discovering my copy of Vij's, Vikram Vij's restaurant in Vancouver. Lots of simple recipes that have great flavor combinations.

Coconut and saffron shrimp curry with grilled coconut kale. The kale was marinated in coconut and spices and then grilled. The tomato-based curry had a mild flavor but the saffron came through.

8146941470_a2d5f06bc4_z.jpg

Prawns in coconut masala. Good flavor from the blend of onions (yellow and green) and tomatoes.

8268169287_056d8c1fc6_z.jpg

Last night's dinner: grilled grouper with tomato-yogurt broth. The fish (the recipe originally called for sablefish) was marinated in oil and spices (paprika, cayenne) for a while and was cooked on the grill. The broth had a great flavor with a nice spike of ginger.

8270924907_9bd1d851bc_z.jpg

An old favorite from the same book, the lamb popsicles. They are served with a fenugreek cream curry that I could drink by the bowl full.

4485502191_a093f1856d_z.jpg

Patrickamory, I guess you are right - with low humidity levels you might need to spray the soil so that it remains moist.

It's true that I use more fresh turmeric than ginger so I do not have the experience of it going mouldy, but I'm lucky to source fresh ginger and turmeric easily. I buy about 100g of turmeric and about 500g of ginger so, turmeric gets over earlier than ginger.

That said I've never had either turmeric or ginger go bad at my place...

Let us know about your experiences :-)

I've had both go bad, the ginger gradually starts to rot at the outside, it doesn't ever seem to get moldy - probably dries out first. The center can usually be salvaged if it isn't too old. The turmeric lasts a surprisingly long time - a month or more - in the fridge.

Produce in NYC is often not that fresh. It is one of the huge downsides of living here - some of what can be seen at my local supermarket would horrify you - it's incredible they have the gall to even sell that stuff.

On the bright side, it is very easy to source high-quality ginger and fresh turmeric from the Indian groceries near me.

How much fresh turmeric do you use in recipes that call for dried/powdered turmeric? Is it like fresh vs dried herbs: twice as much fresh? Now I just have to get my hands of some fresh turmeric. None in Penticton so will have to go to the East Indian stores in Kelowna. Drat.

I have a chicken jardaloo sali on my blog but at the time when my blog was not bilingual... but Percy's the expert... I test his recommended recipe :-)

• Similar Content

• By Sheel
      Goa being one of the popular cities of India is known for its local delicacies. These delicacies have been passed on from generation to generation, while some of them have continued to remain popular, some of them have lost their charm with the introduction of newer cuisines. Since the Portuguese entered Goa, they have had a strong influence on the local cuisine. A major turning point came when they introduced a variety of spices that changed their style of cooking completely. The Portuguese introduced plants like corn, pineapple,  papaya, sweet potato and cashews. One such example of a popular dish would be Pork Vindaloo. Goan food is a mix of hot and sour ingredients that make their seafood delectable. Kokum is one such ingredient which is known to be a tangy-sweet fruit. It is added in curries to render a sour taste and is often accompanied with seafood. Dried red chillies are one the most vital ingredients common among all the local delicacies that is either used in its whole form or ground into a fine paste. Since seafood is the soul of Goan food, it is preserved and relished in other forms too. Goan pickles are known to be quite famous. Prawn Balchao, a very famous prawn pickle prepared with dried red chillies is relished with a simple lentil curry and rice. Another delicacy is the Goan Para Fish made with mackerels, red chillies and goan vinegar. These are regular accompaniments with their routine meals. When talking about Goa, you cannot not mention their sausages. These mouth-watering and spicy sausages are made with pork and a variety of spices. Last but not the least, is the widely famous Goan bread, locally known as Poi. Leavened bread which is part of almost every meal and eaten with plain butter too. These ingredients make the cuisine extremely palatable and continue to make this cuisine stand out from the rest.
    • By shweta gupta
      Do any one familiar with the Bengali spice brands of India, my friend is Interested in Cooking Bengali Food. Can any One Suggest me few Brands to Reffer.
      Please comment
    • By Chris Hennes
      A few weeks ago I checked out a copy of Madhur Jaffrey's Vegetarian India from the library, and it is well on its way to earning a permanent place in my collection. I've really enjoyed the recipes I've cooked from it so far, and thought I'd share a few of them here. Of course, if anyone else has cooked anything from the book please share your favorites here, too.

To kick things off, something that appears in nearly every meal I've cooked this month... a yogurt dish such as

Simple Seasoned Yogurt, South Indian-Style (p. 324)

• By gorkreg
      As a tandoor is not a regular BBQ but an oven which walls need to be hot in order to cook I was wondering if I could use a charcoal chimney to light it. Firstly, I don't know how long it would take for the walls to heat up (I guess quite quick) but secondly (and most important) will the walls crack because of the sudden change in temperature? Any experiences here?
    • By KootenayCook
      I like to make roasted eggplant/aubergine for baba gahanouj, bharta (etc.) on coals that impart a wonderful smoky flavour.  I've had good success doing it in a barbecue (actually a Big Green Egg).  So, now that it's winter, I thought "why not try it in the fireplace, after the fire has burnt down to glowing coals?" I cut a few slits in the eggplant so that it wouldn't explode, did NOT wrap it in foil, thinking that would just seal out the smoky flavour, and popped it into the fireplace (with glass doors) for 15 min.  It came out looking good, perhaps a little under-cooked, but basically OK.  The taste was TERRIBLE -  very strong flavour of fire place ash.  I only had a couple of bites, despite my Methodist ancestors looking disapprovingly over my shoulder, because it really was bad.  So has anyone else tried this?  I'd like to make it work.  Should the eggplant be wrapped in foil? Should I wait until the coals have died down further?  Does it depend on the type of wood? This was mainly aspen - crappy firewood at best, but it was free (Methodist ancestors won this time.).