• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Munchies

liuzhou

I love seasoned olives. I picked up a jar of mixed whole olive salad at Restaurant Depot that has a hard type of bell pepper, pepperoncini and herbs, very spicy. I was given some olives very similar to this by a customer from Egypt but he added saffron , coriander seeds and cumin seeds, very delicious. My hubby makes really good homemade crackling that we snack on, wrapped in sliced white bread ( the only time we eat the stuff) with a cold beer.Don't do that too often though! Sliced pickles, drained of most juice, covered in Sriracha sauce.The longer they soak the better.

Edited by Creola (log)

I tend to go for buttered toast late at night. Horrible sliced white bread toasted and slightly over-buttered. Bliss.

Allow me to get back to the beer peanuts. Here in China they are sold as as "Drunkard's Peanuts". Basically just salted peanuts, but they come in plain (salted) variety and spicy chilli variety. I usually buy a bag of each and mix them. Excellent beer food.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

<<<< Do I really have to say it? :wink:

But I also like cheese and cured meats. Little bites of these can be extremely satisfying and stave off hunger until mealtimes. Much better than gorging on high calorie junk-food.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to go for buttered toast late at night. Horrible sliced white bread toasted and slightly over-buttered. Bliss.

Allow me to get back to the beer peanuts. Here in China they are sold as as "Drunkard's Peanuts". Basically just salted peanuts, but they come in plain (salted) variety and spicy chilli variety. I usually buy a bag of each and mix them. Excellent beer food.

YUM!!! Beer Food!

Of late I've been running through a fair amount of preserved plums ("Chan Pei Mui", 陳皮梅).

At other times I gobble down stuff like peanuts, pistachios, potato chips (Cape Cod Traditional Kettle Cooked, just simply salted, are the best!). At other times I have a bowl of instant noodles/ramen, or other such stuff. In season I've been known to run through a bowl of luscious Bing cherries (all 1 lb of it, even more sometimes) and paid for it a little later on... Or if there is leftover soup on the stovetop I might have a bowl of it. I very rarely snack on veggies (like Western celery or carrots etc). Once in a while crackers like Lavash (sesame-topped, plain, etc) or croccantini (a treat!), with or without other stuff with it (but extremely rarely cheese - I'm not a cheese or dairy person). Etc.

Edited by huiray (log)

Lately for me it has been this "cutie" oranges they have in the stores this time of year, them and honey crisp apples. I eat my weight in them while they are in season. I generally like something sweet about 3 pm, so cookies of some sort is usually around.

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

I am rather partial to some of this with a beer or six.

Chou%20doufu.jpg

It is 臭豆腐 chòu dòu fǔ or stinky tofu. Deep fried fermented tofu. It does stink but tastes divine, like a particularly smelly cheese can do. They trick is to get it past your nose into your mouth, then you get the creamy, smoky taste.

Popular in various parts of China, but especially in Changsha, capital of Hunan province where I first ate it. Here in Guangxi it is strictly street food and a little milder than in Hunan :angry: . In some cities of China it is banned as the smell revolts many people.

It's just a wok for deep frying the tofu, but there is a kind of ring of strainer round the edges which is what you are seeing. The fried tofu is left there to drain off most of the oil, while still staying hot. The tofu you see behind the metal grille is ready to serve. The stuff in front is still frying.

I'm sorry about the picture, I realise that it's not clear. I needed to get a bit higher to show it more clearly, but I forgot my step ladder that day! If it ever stops raining I'll try to get a clearer shot.

Edited by liuzhou (log)