• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Stage Deli has closed

Fat Guy

I was walking through Midtown yesterday (not pleasant) and noticed that the Stage Deli has closed. This article confirms:

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/20231162/nycs-famous-stage-deli-closes

Not that it was ever my favorite, but it is a lost piece of deli history.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I had some fine experiences at the Stage Deli. I don't think it was ever the best for any one thing, however the sandwich combinations named for celebrities were often brilliant. I wonder if the one in Vegas is still in operation.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

There is a deli at the MGM Grand named the "Stage" Deli-but I doubt it has any relationship to the New York store. It's been there for years and was once a pretty good place to get a decent corned beef sandwich. Now it's turned into basically a fast-food shop serving unpassable stuff that they pawn off as original.

There is a deli at the MGM Grand named the "Stage" Deli-but I doubt it has any relationship to the New York store. It's been there for years and was once a pretty good place to get a decent corned beef sandwich. Now it's turned into basically a fast-food shop serving unpassable stuff that they pawn off as original.

Not related to The Stage Deli from NYC - They had two satellites - one in The Taj Mahal in Atlantic City and the one in the Ceasar's Forum shops. The AC one is long dead and the Vegas one closed down some time in late 2009 / early 2010.

David Sax wrote a nice piece for the Jewish Daily Forward...

For a deli world already used to deaths and disappearances, having seen thousands of landmarks wiped clean from our palate over the past decades, the end of the Stage plunges deep into the heart of deli lovers. The magnitude of its loss is incalculable. The significance is simply staggering.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I think the Stage Deli was probably the first place my parents took me to when visiting new york for the first time at age 8. I remember the sandwich as big as my head. Now I live in the city and its sad to see it go. Wish I ha known it was closing so I could have gone one more time and paid my respects.