• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gulf of Maine Shrimp - 2013 season

Season is on but catch quota has been cut 75%

http://www.pressherald.com/news/Panel-to-set-dates-of-New-England-shrimp-season-.html

Trawl harvests begin 1/22/13 and trappers can start 2/5/12. I always felt a little funny buying them with all their eggs attached.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Local shrimp doesn't make the news in Halifax. Sad but true.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

You know what Peter? There were 3 totes of Canadian shrimp at Portland's Harbor Fish a couple weeks ago for five bucks a pound. Needless to say, I bought some. I don't know the details but I assume that's going to happen again.

People here complain about flawed studies pointing to decline of biomass. I'd like to see what Canadian studies have determined

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
There isn’t enough data to prove conclusively why the shrimp population has been decimated, but warming ocean temperatures likely play a major role, Waine said. The Gulf of Maine has seen record temperatures in recent years, and Northern shrimp in the gulf can’t tolerate the heat.

http://www.workingwaterfront.com/articles/Maine-Shrimp-Industry-Braces-for-Short-Season/15187/

Portland Food Map.com

Thanks for the updates. sad to see the season become so short, these sweet beauties used to be so plentiful.

We generally get Maine shrimp during the season here in Boston, but I haven't seen any yet. Price the past couple of years was generally $5-7 lb headless.

• 1 month later...

This just in:

Starting next Wednesday, shrimp boats will be able to fish 7 days a week. The season will officially close April 12th or until quota is reached. Given the low catch rates so far, 4/12 closing is very likely.

peeled shrimp is $11.99/lb on Portland's waterfront retail. I've eaten a about a pound a week, sauteed in various ways

Portland Food Map.com

• 2 weeks later...

Recent Portland news article calls shrimp season "a bust".

http://www.pressherald.com/news/Gulf-of-Maine-shrimp-season-turns-into-a-bust.html

This year's catch is the lowest since 1978 when the fishery was shut down altogether - There is a possibility that will actually happen next year

Portland Food Map.com