• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous Vide Ramen Broth or Chicken Broth?

torolover

Any thoughts about making Sous Vide Ramen Broth or chicken broth?

I would think the Sous Vide would make Ramen Broth a lot easier so you don't have to watch it for 12 hours. It should be great to turn the pork bones and collagen into gelatin.

Also you could sous vide the veggies/broth separately with the pork/broth to get a more clean or complex taste?

Accoring to Serious Eats, pressure cooking tokatsu broth is not as good as boiling it. Not sure why. Anyone try this?

http://www.seriousea...html?ref=search

It's because the liquid doesn't boil in the pressure cooker. Tonkotsu broth needs the boil to emulsify the fat and collagen into the soup.

This is on my "to make" list

What exactly does "boiling" do? Is it the pysical bubbles that emulsify the fat? How about emulsify the fat with a blender?

Not sure. I assume what you said regarding phsyical agitation. Interesting idea with the blender!

Guess you must try! pressure cook the recipe and throw in a blender.