• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods you just don't like

liuzhou

Smelly cheese! Blue cheese, feta, really sharp Italian cheeses, and probably anything beloved in France. I try to expand my horizons a lot and do hope that one day, I will suddenly 'get' smelly cheese, but for now I am more than happy to stay far, far away. The smell makes me gag involuntarily. (Also, having to crumble up whole buckets of feta at work didn't help me with this.) Nothing makes me sadder than to get something in a restaurant only to find smelly cheese on it when it arrives.

Another thing that makes me gag involuntarily - ranch dressing. Almost everyone I know loves the stuff on just about everything, but I would just as soon never eat it again.

Ditto the lima beans, though I probably never had them cooked properly and will give them another try.

Watermelon. I've probably only had lame supermarket ones, but I think they have a funny flavor.

I'm not fond of the anise/sambuca/kümmel/caraway/licourice family of flavours. I hope it's not genetic.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Smelly cheese! Blue cheese, feta, really sharp Italian cheeses, and probably anything beloved in France. I try to expand my horizons a lot and do hope that one day, I will suddenly 'get' smelly cheese, but for now I am more than happy to stay far, far away. The smell makes me gag involuntarily. (Also, having to crumble up whole buckets of feta at work didn't help me with this.) Nothing makes me sadder than to get something in a restaurant only to find smelly cheese on it when it arrives.

I dont mind smelly cheeses but I once tried what I was told was Provolone at Tallutos Italian Foods and it literally tasted like puke. It was the worst thing Id ever eaten.

I had to run to my car to rinse my mouth out and stop gagging...

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Reading this thread I realize that my tastes have narrowed in the last few years and grown rather quirky. I still like all the food groups in general, although my desire for large hunks of meat continues to decline. I won't touch cooked liver or offal, but I will eat a little pate on a cracker. I don't much care for lamb or gamey meat. I can't abide brussels sprouts; in fact I can smell them even if I am just looking at a picture of them. I don't like broccoli or turnips. I do like cabbage and cauliflower, though, especially when cooked with tomato. I like all shellfish except scallops. I love (small) raw oysters but I'm not a fan of cooked oysters or oyster chowder. Generally I stay away from seafood with tentacles, although if baby calamari is fried well and served with a good dipping sauce I can enjoy it. I hate tapioca and I think bubble tea is especially creepy. I don't like thick squash soup or pumpkin pie and generally don't like anything that tastes like "pumpkin pie spices." I like bananas okay just plain, but I can't stand banana bread or banana desserts. I dislike macadamia and brazil nuts. I don't like swiss cheese or gouda. I'm sure there's more, but why go on? I USED to like most of these things.

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)

Oatmeal - Blech! I like oats in cookies, granola, etc., but I can't stand the taste and especially the texture of oatmeal.

Ricotta cheese - I'm a cheese lover, but I won't go near this one.

I can't stand cloves, so anything that's made with them, I'll run from.

Gefilte fish - Ugh - with that gelled fat on it.

I'm sure there are lots more, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Growing to dislike certain foods - is it possibly related to new medications? We tend to take more and more as we grow older.

I'm a fan of rich food, including lots of meat and game when it's available. But I also find that it takes a harder toll on my digestive system as I grow older, especially while travelling.

Yes, as a result of changes in my health my diet has been adjusted in the last few years. Perhaps some of it is chemical, perhaps some of it is just old habits dying. Some things I have grown not to care about and am just as happy not eating: rich fatty meat is at the top of that list. Also cake and whipped cream. I don't even miss ice cream that much, but allow myself a taste once in a while. It's so good! I'm okay with more olive oil and way less butter. I eat more rice and potatoes and less wheat. Then there are the things I miss desperately and treat myself to on ocassion. That's some other thread.

Wow, nobody mentioned the ONLY thing that I don't care for; shreaded coconut. It looks light and fluffy and is exactly the opposite when it goes into your mouth. I just can't handle that. I love the taste, though.

I agree, Thats why Artisana brand created COCONUT BUTTER.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I always wondered about how different cultures developed tastes for certain textures that others find "challenging"...for example, some of the jelly-like ones found in Asian cuisines (both savory and sweet). Fatty cuts of meat, gelatinous textures.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I had to think quite hard about this one - I will east almost anything. Most of the foods I dislike it is because of bad preparation, not the dish itself, i.e. spaghetti with sauce that tastes like hamburger, a sloppy joe in place of decent pulled pork, etc.

But one think I truly hate in all forms is liquid preparations of just Tomatoes. I can't stand tomato soup, or tomato juice. It's to bad because the idea of a savory beverage really appeals to me.

Have you tried Clamato (tomato with clam juice) or Beefamato (tomato with beef bouillon)?

I have, and I don't like them. Just something about tomato liquified. When I was little I could not stand any tomato, now I love it in many different applications, but not in these ways,

• 1 month later...

I just thought of another one. I hate eggs fried in anything but sunflower oil

Certainly not in olive oil. Much as I love olive oil in other contexts. Nor in butter.

Certainly not in peanut oil. I always read that it is a flavourless, neutral oil. No it isn't. It tastes and smells of peanuts! Peanut eggs don't make the grade!

Not in bacon fat either, tasty as it is, it always looks unappealing.

Yes. I know it's irrational, but that was the point of the thread.

I almost always poach my eggs, anyway.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Two proteins that I have never enjoyed are liver and octopus/squid.

I try a bit of someones probably once a year (maybe a bit less) - but have found it consistantly horrible.

I'll keep trying every once in a while though - maybe someone prepares it in a a way that I like.

The list of foods that I'm not interested in, or don't add anything for me is quite a bit longer, but inclused most mushrooms, artichokes, bitter leafy greens, many tropical fruits...

Two proteins that I have never enjoyed are liver and octopus/squid.

I try a bit of someones probably once a year (maybe a bit less) - but have found it consistantly horrible.

I'll keep trying every once in a while though - maybe someone prepares it in a a way that I like.

The list of foods that I'm not interested in, or don't add anything for me is quite a bit longer, but inclused most mushrooms, artichokes, bitter leafy greens, many tropical fruits...

If you're up for exploring octopus/squid options yourself, there are some great treatments being presented in in the current Cook-Off 62: Squid, Calamari and Octopus.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Dried fruit leaves me cold, I don't like the texture, and the flavour completely loses the freshness that I enjoy about fruit.

Licorice and strong Aniseed flavours do nothing for me, and linger on the palate, ruining it for a length of time.

I will also never understand the love for peppers (that's capsicum to us Aussies).

Still, I can eat pretty much anything, and if these were on the plate I'd eat them, you just wouldn't catch me putting them there if the dish was for me.

James.

• 10 years later...

A brand new one for me.  A friend gave me two large pieces of pork belly and I just couldn't eat the stuff.  So much fat.  It can't be avoided.   Is this a normal reaction?

And I don't think I should give it to the dog who is living with advanced cancer for fear it could precipitate pancreatitis.  We've already lived through one bout of pancreatitis with a dog about 25 years ago.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

35 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Is this a normal reaction?

Absolutely. Ms. Alex has the name reaction. I'm not a huge fan, but I'll eat it depending on how it's cooked and what's accompanying it. And how fatty it is.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

51 minutes ago, Darienne said:

A friend gave me two large pieces of pork belly

If somebody gave me that I would have died and gone to heaven. However that is neither here nor there. You could make bacon out of it. After all, that is the cut that they do make bacon out of. I've done it with whatever little resources I had here in Costa Rica. The only thing that I couldn't do was smoke it but other than that it was darn good bacon.

• Like 1