• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods you just don't like

liuzhou

I went and had Turkish food today for the first time. I gobbled down a whole plate of baba ghanoush before I got my doner kebab and it was smokily delicious despite there being eggplant in the dish. So maybe it just has to be hidden well enough and the eater hungry.

I'm with you on eggplant which I find completely digusting on its own. On the other hand, mix it up well with other ingredients -- ratatouille for example -- and it adds a nice earthy richness to a dish.

Hassouni - no, my white Carolina rice, which we serve as accompaniment to our "American" dishes. The lemon squeeze habit came from a Greek friend in high school - his entire family always dressed their rice that way. The black pepper came later on my own. Now I can't imagine having plain medium grain rice without it!

(Would never do it on jasmine or basmati rice...)

I'll add canola oil to my list, it's absolutely horrible stuff because of its tendency to have a "fishy" flavor.

~Martin

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I've tried hard my whole life to like oatmeal. Mom used to make us eat it for breakfast in winter, also Cream of Wheat.

I just don't like the texture; I could get past the taste if it didn't have the weird texture.

I have tried again many times using different kinds/brands of oats and different cooking methods. I have actually come close.

I can now eat it, I just don't really enjoy it. It's a bit of a challenge for me as I try to like most everything.

I like to form the steaming hot cooked oatmeal into a little volcano in the center of my favorite cereal bowl. And I absolutely love it - especially on cold, blustery mornings.

But, I'll confess, it's mainly due to the little puddle of melted butter in the middle of the hot oatmeal volcano.

And the big lump of brown sugar melting in the puddle of melted butter in the middle of the hot oatmeal volcano.

And the moat of cool cream surrounding the hot oatmeal volcano with the big lump of brown sugar melting in the puddle of melted butter in the middle.

Oh, of course, I could just combine the butter and the brown sugar and the cream and boil it to soft-ball stage and beat it until it loses its gloss and then spoon it out onto waxed paper and call it praline and forget about the oatmeal entirely.

But I'd feel a lot more guilty about it.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 3 weeks later...

Truffle oil, my throat will not even let it go down, it closes up and does not swallow.

Avocados! I cannot stand them! They are lettuce paste, nothing more.

Beets. I wretch at the smell of them.

The rest I think I don't like and I say think because I never had them made well:

Duck

Liver and offal

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

I hate:

liver and all forms of offal.

holland bell peppers of any color.

geflite fish.

cottage cheese and all of its derivatives

fat free and skim milk (why bother?)

Tofurky and most other processed meat analogues (but I do like regular tofu when used traditionally)

Soymilk

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I will never eat dog or cat or raccoon or skunk or whale...

I will however eat anything else as long as its clean, from a reputable source (esp any kind of giant spiders)

But nothing makes me gag more then undercooked or raw eggs and the looks of the blue-ish translucent hard cooked Emu eggs are the worst.

Ill probably never eat thousand year eggs...

And Ill eat natto

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

It's a specific allergy to egg albumin - I could probably just eat the yolks, but the smell of egg preparations is so off-putting, and I've had so many bad experiences, that I'm kind of reluctant to try. I've always wondered what I'm missing.

Allergies or at least sensitivity could play a part in many food dislikes. Don't know if that's ever been studied. A friend of mine is gluten intolerant and one smell that she can't stand -- to the point of nausea -- is freshly baked bread. My husband, who has a problem with lactose, gets nauseated by the smell of fresh milk. Your nose is trying to tell you what the rest of your body thinks of ingesting that particular food.

Maybe, maybe not, BUT scientifically we tend to crave things we are mildly allergic to...

We eat something we are mildly allergic to, the "pain" of the allergy causes our body to release endorphins.

The endorphins make us happy and mask the "allergy pain" so we keep eating.

We go to bed, the endorphins wear off, we wake up with a food hangover. We crave that endorphin high so

we go to the very food that gave us that endorphin rush and the cycle starts all over

http://www.healthandgoodness.com/article/allergies-and-weight-loss.html

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I love everything, with the exception of one fairly common flavor combination.

While I love the flavors of black pepper and lemon and use them all the time, there's something about the combination of the two, showcased in something like lemon pepper chicken, for example, that sends me running!!!!!

~Martin :blink:

Is it when the pepper is hot? I cant eat hot scrambled eggs with pepper or Ill gag

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

It's a specific allergy to egg albumin - I could probably just eat the yolks, but the smell of egg preparations is so off-putting, and I've had so many bad experiences, that I'm kind of reluctant to try. I've always wondered what I'm missing.

Allergies or at least sensitivity could play a part in many food dislikes. Don't know if that's ever been studied. A friend of mine is gluten intolerant and one smell that she can't stand -- to the point of nausea -- is freshly baked bread. My husband, who has a problem with lactose, gets nauseated by the smell of fresh milk. Your nose is trying to tell you what the rest of your body thinks of ingesting that particular food.

Maybe, maybe not, BUT scientifically we tend to crave things we are mildly allergic to...

We eat something we are mildly allergic to, the "pain" of the allergy causes our body to release endorphins.

The endorphins make us happy and mask the "allergy pain" so we keep eating.

We go to bed, the endorphins wear off, we wake up with a food hangover. We crave that endorphin high so

we go to the very food that gave us that endorphin rush and the cycle starts all over

http://www.healthand...eight-loss.html

Well, that's not how it works for me. My body rejects things but quick - I tend to redecorate the walls if I can't make it to the loo in time.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

:blink:

Lima beans. I've always hated 'em. I think I always will. Disgusting pasty greenish tasteless little rocks. GAHH.

:wacko:

That's what I used to think. There's something funny about the insides of Limas -- the interiors will seize up into those "little rocks" if treated badly. But if you gently braise them in a bit of chicken stock or water, very very gently, they will be meltingly tender and luscious. Finish with good olive oil and lots of fresh pepper. Pretty yummy. But boil them hard and they'll be...hard. And astringent.

:blink:

Lima beans. I've always hated 'em. I think I always will. Disgusting pasty greenish tasteless little rocks. GAHH.

:wacko:

Unless you buy these:

http://www.ranchogor...oduct_Code=1LWLCategory_Code=DHAHB4#.UOCXYazJLLE

Or these:

http://www.ranchogor...B4#.UOCXmazJLLE

Or some of the equally wonderful baby limas that don't appear to be currently in stock.

Wow. What a revelation!

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Even though I like grits, oatmeal, polenta etc. I cannot stomach cream of wheat.

Raspberries- beautiful berry looks delicious but there is something about the flavor I don't care for.

Chitlins - ugh the smell alone.

Very ripe bananas - my husband and I are a good pair, I eat them when they are too green and he eats them when they start to turn brown.

Crunchy half cooked carrots - I either want them raw or cooked until soft.

Red delicious apples - never had the pleasure of one right off the tree and I find them mushy and sickly sweet. Same for apple juice and ciders.

I will eat but don't really enjoy scallops.

Grape- nuts-- a bowl of little rocks.

Yet the list of things I will eat can easily gross out my husband and friends! Food likes and dislikes are strange.

I have had bad experiences with tilapia I've cooked at home. Tasted MOLDY!!!

I've eaten it in restaurants where it was exceptionally good.

I've been told that the modly taste comes from the way the fish are fed...bottom feeders.

I've also been told that this taste individual, somewhat like cilantro where some people discern an awful taste from it.

I absolutly love fish and I want to be able to prepare it myself and like it.

I was a very fussy eater as a child.

Now anything is on the menu except Brussel Sprouts and cooked peas.

It took me years to work out why I could eat and enjoy pea soup and raw peas but still react to cooked peas with a gag reflex. It is purely texture.

I have had baby Brussel sprouts gently cooked and enjoyed them but as adult vegetables and cooked, I react to them like I react to peas.

All other regular things that have been mentioned here I eat and enjoy, including Natto (it's a umami bomb).

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

All other regular things that have been mentioned here I eat and enjoy, including Natto (it's a umami bomb).

What about the texture? Looks pretty challenging to me! (Never had a chance to try though.)

Mixed with rice, karashi, soy sauce and scallion its yummy, the sliminess is minimal then, but add raw egg, raw okra and grated slimy mountain potato and its ramped up.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

The brand that I buy has individual serves in styrofoam packs with small packs of sesame oil and mustard. I heat the rice and natto, add the oil and mustard, mix, and eat. The mucousy texture is reduced this way. It still has the smell but for someone who loves cheeses that smell horrible but taste divine, it is scarcely a challenged.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

• 4 weeks later...