• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dough for Galette

Shel_B

I've used this one for years, and it works great. It's from David Lebovitz I believe. I add grated parmesan to it before and it made it even more flaky. I've found I like the way it comes out of the food processor the best.

11-1/4 oz. (2-1/2 cups) all-purpose flour

2 Tbs. sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

8 oz. (16 Tbs.) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and chilled

5 oz. (about 2/3 cup) ice water

In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, and salt. Cut in the chilled butter using a stand mixer, a food processor, or a pastry blender until the butter is evenly distributed but still in large, visible pieces. Add the ice water all at once to the flour and butter. Mix the dough just until it begins to come together (if using a stand mixer or a food processor, be especially careful not to overmix the dough). Gather the dough with your hands -- don't worry if you see streaks of butter -- and shape it into two disks. Wrap the disks in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

I've used this one for years, and it works great. It's from David Lebovitz I believe. I add grated parmesan to it before and it made it even more flaky. I've found I like the way it comes out of the food processor the best.

11-1/4 oz. (2-1/2 cups) all-purpose flour

2 Tbs. sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

8 oz. (16 Tbs.) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and chilled

5 oz. (about 2/3 cup) ice water

Great! That's one that I found on line that looked good, and I added it to my recipe collection. Thanks!

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

I used a pie dough for one recently with good success, using the proportions from a recent Sunset magazine (3 C flour, Tbsp sugar, 1.5 tsp salt; 1 C fat (I used Earth Balance veg shortening)). I modified slightly by using the vodka method, so instead of 2/3 C of cold water, I used 2/3 C of a very cold 50/50 vodka / water mixture. My flakiest crust yet. I don't eat dairy, but I'm sure it would be even better with butter.

Edited by Will (log)