• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Congrats to Rancho Gordo!

• 1 year later...

Just a bump up to congratulate Steve on a little blurb by Ted Allen recommending Rancho Gordo beans in the April 2014 issue of Food Network magazine.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

well deserved! Reminds me I need to restock :-)

As for price, yes, they are more expensive than what you get at the supermarket, but a) they are much much better and b) more expensive still does not spell expensive here, we're not talking about $20/lb of beans. A bag feeds us easy 3 or more times, so the price difference is completely irrelevant. And now? Heading over to their site, I'm down to one bag :-)

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, I missed this. Thanks. We were part of Bon Appetit's Hot 10 one year. It was very glamorous and they flew me to NY and there was a huge party. Ted was the host and he's been a great supporter ever since. I love when people had no idea about beans and then they discover heirlooms and flip out.
I haven't seen it yet but apparently we're in this month's Cooks Illustrated in a heartbreaking article about canned beans. I think they like the canned fine but they also like ours. I'm happy for the attention but friends don't let friends eat canned beans. The fact that you have to rinse the slimy bean broth off of them is reason enough!

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

friends don't let friends eat canned beans

Exactly...so start shipping to Canada! :biggrin: 

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Exactly...so start shipping to Canada! :biggrin: 

Rancho Gordo is even available in New Zealand - seen it in a couple of places now.  If it's not in Canada, you Canadians must have been very bad in a past life.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Rancho Gordo is even available in New Zealand - seen it in a couple of places now.  If it's not in Canada, you Canadians must have been very bad in a past life.

It actually may be available somewhere in Canada. But Canada's a pretty big place and e-commerce here is improving but still relatively non-existent. I live in a pretty remote area far from any of the major business areas in Canada so I do a fairly large amount of online shopping. As much as I'd like to help the economy by online shopping within Canada, not many businesses want to make money that way here so a lot of my money goes across the border.

• Sad 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 4 years later...

Baby steps... :P

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

17 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Today I finally made the bean club!  And received a coupon code good till last month.

Me too, right down to the discount code deadline! (Psst, @rancho_gordo, did you know about that little glitch?)

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

36 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

Me too, right down to the discount code deadline! (Psst, @rancho_gordo, did you know about that little glitch?)

Just email them at customerservice@ranchogordo.com 

They are very responsive. 

I'm a member of the club and got a code that says it's good until the end of Dec. 

any idea when new Members get their first box.

I emailed about the discount code

they sent it to me in an email and suggested the original email might be in a SPAM folder

but nope  don't have one.

I forgot to ask about the first box

and they didn't add details about the Q4 code

did anyone get the full email ?

Im wonder , if there isn't a bean thread on cooking

say "cooking Heirloom Beans and Grains "

am all in favor of one or a pointer to an existing bean and grains cooking thread

• Like 1

That thread cited is one of my favorite threads of all time.  

[Admittedly, I do eat a lot of beans, tho.]

ETA:  I don't know what is going on with my font here.  No idea at all.

Edited by SLB (log)
  • Like 1

I got an email from RG

Bean Club  , including new bean club members

will be getting a shipment in Oct.

mine will ship , as a new member , next week.

looking forward to it.  hope there are some black Beans in the shipment !

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I got an email from RG

Bean Club  , including new bean club members

will be getting a shipment in Oct.

mine will ship , as a new member , next week.

looking forward to it.  hope there are some black Beans in the shipment !

I think you will like the assortment.  It includes some of my favorites and a couple I haven't tried yet.

My bean club order arrived today -- with the bag of midnight black beans pre-opened.  What a mess.  Managed to scoop up most of them.  I hope Roomba can find the rest.  RG packaging leaves a bit to be desired.  I've managed to spill bags myself before but this is the first time I've been saved the trouble.

I called customer service but no one picked up the phone.  No one has called back.

Edit:  RG customer service called back and they are sending a replacement for the midnight black.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
Update (log)
  • Like 2

I'm surprised you needed to wait a long time for a response but it's good you did get one eventually. I've only emailed them rather than phoned but have found them very responsive.

The RG peeps shared this earlier via Facebook:

Hello lovely Bean Club members! Many of you have received your boxes already, and some of you unfortunately discovered broken bags inside. We are so sorry about this. We have just transitioned over to a new bagging machine and we had to change the material and the sealing of the bags. The bags went through rigorous testing before we began shipping them, but it's obvious that we still have some kinks to work out and our production team has been working nonstop this week to solve the issue. 

If you received broken bags in your shipment, please discard the contents and shoot us an email at customerservice@ranchogordo.com. We'll send you a replacement bag right away. We apologize for the inconvenience. 

Cheers, Julia at Rancho Gordo

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1