• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2012–2014)

Chris Hennes

Hehe. I'll be the first!

Turkey and dumplings. Dumplings are croutons of day old Italian bread. Corn, carrots, Brussel-sprouts and shredded turkey wing garnished with blanched fresh green beans. Washed down with home-brewed English style bitter made with Columbus and Cascade hops.

20121127_134110.jpg

Today, I had:

• Salmon sort-of pan-fried/semi-poached with sliced mushrooms sautéed w/ a grainy mustard prepared by a local concern (and which has jalapenos in it).

• The salmon skin (stripped off the piece of fish) separately pan-fried to nice browned crispy "chips".

• Basmati rice briefly tossed w/ chopped garlic + finely sliced shallots being sautéed w/ peanut oil in my usual rice pot to which cardamom pods and bay leaves were added before the rice was dumped in, quenched w/ water plus a little salt and cooked as usual.

• "Tong Ho" (Edible chrysanthemum leaves; broad-leaf variety) in chicken stock soup.

DSCN7303b_1k.jpg

DSCN7300a_1k.jpg

Lunch a few days ago:

Sort-of "Penang Har Mee". Prawn stock w/ the shells and heads (w/ lots of head cream) from about 1 1/2 lbs of head-on shrimp sautéed w/ sambal terasi, shrimp paste w/ soy bean oil. The veggies were "Tong Ho" (edible chrysanthemum) and "Nga Choy" (mung bean sprouts), toppings were scallions, fried shallots, cilantro, halved hard boiled eggs, deveined shrimp sautéed in the pan (and retrieved before the shells etc went in for the stock). The noodle was a "Yee meen" analog.

DSCN7286a_1k.jpg

huiray - good reminder that I need to keep fish balls in the freezer. I was just thinking about a soup for tomorrow and wanted some protein. Was going to pick up tofu but fish balls are more textural and interesting to me.

Scotty Boy's Caesar

http://forums.egulle...2/page__st__750

Post 780. I soaked the crushed garlic with the lemon juice to take the edge off first.

Thanks for that!

I'm going to measure out the stuff for my chili sauce and raita when I make it next. Exercise and these things in my diet has me down 15 pounds in 3 weeks.

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

huiray - good reminder that I need to keep fish balls in the freezer. I was just thinking about a soup for tomorrow and wanted some protein. Was going to pick up tofu but fish balls are more textural and interesting to me.

Yes, fish balls are quite useful. :-) Have you tried the cuttlefish or cuttlefish-fish mixture balls too?

Yes, fish balls are quite useful. :-) Have you tried the cuttlefish or cuttlefish-fish mixture balls too?

Yes I like them in soups and love them fried with a spicy dipping sauce- one of my comfort foods

Chuck-eye steaks rubbed with Kirklands finest and grilled very hot to MR. Stir fried bok choy, carrot, onion, zucchini, ginger, and garlic. Sauced with oyster sauce, golden mountain sauce, fish sauce, dark soy sauce, and black bean paste with chiles. Brown Texmati rice. And copious amounts of water.

Late lunch: Stir-fried deboned sliced chicken thigh meat (marinated w/ Shaohsing wine, sesame oil, white pepper, Red Boat fish sauce) with chopped white onions & trimmed snow peas. Served over steamed white rice.

DSCN7327b_1k.jpg

It looks nice, i like onion and peas combination with the rest. :)

Thanks. I toss in the snow peas and the onions at the very last and bang them around for only a minute or two before shutting off the fire. Crunch crunch.