• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chris Hennes

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2012–2014)

• Chicken thighs braised w/ garlic (~2 heads worth), shallots & very generous ryori-shu (leftovers from the previous dinner, see here), re-simmered w/ skinny bamboo shoots, seasoning adjusted. Eaten w/ soba (with yam) noodles, cooked in the usual manner.

• Stir-fried turnip greens & pencil asparagus.

• Japanese cucumbers & sliced scallions pickled w/ rice vinegar [a mix of Marukan (Japanese) "Brewed Rice Vinegar" + Kong Yen (Taiwan) "Aged Gourmet Rice Vinegar"], some sweet mirin, salt (the cucumbers were salted first, then rinsed & squeezed off), toasted sesame seeds.

DSCN0337a_1k.jpg

I ended up eating all of the batch of pickled cucumbers I made - about three times the amount shown in the picture. :-)

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 3

Lunch yesterday:

• Pork slices stir-fried w/ garlic, sliced bamboo shoots (big shoots type), trimmed scallions & coriander leaves; salt, mirin, ryori-shu.

• Harm Choy Tong. Salted/pickled/sour preserved mustard (soaked, trimmed), bone-in skin-on-fat-on chicken thighs, sliced ginger, halved Cherub tomatoes, Kong Yen aged gourmet vinegar, sea salt, mirin.

• White rice (Basmati).

DSCN0348a_1k.jpg

ETA: The pork-and-bamboo shoots does not look like much but I gobbled it down (and everything else in the pan). I think I'll add more bamboo shoots next time, though.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 3

Browned gnudi with mushroom/thyme glaze

IMG_20140119_125525_662.jpg

• Like 4

image.jpg

Broccoli topped with grated Jarlsberg and popped into the microwave and some leftover striploin.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifIMG_20140119_125525_662.jpg

gfweb, did you make those gnudi or buy them? If homemade, can we get the Rx, please? Pretty please?

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Been enjoying sandwiches of late, after finally discovering a gluten-free bread that's worth making one. But I broke out of that rut for a brunch cooked for a friend -- latkes topped with an over easy egg, accompanied by some cubes of tenderloin (left over from Christmas), and the whole topped with hollandaise. With a baked pear and bran muffins on the side.

DSCN0204_zps2344442b (1).jpg

DSCN0205_zpsf320e141.jpg

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

attachicon.gifIMG_20140119_125525_662.jpg

gfweb, did you make those gnudi or buy them? If homemade, can we get the Rx, please? Pretty please?

Inspired by Franci, I used the recipe she put up somewhere on the site...then fooled with it. IIRC hers is ricotta + parm + spinach rolled in a quenelle and then rested in flour for two days during which a thin flour layer accumulates and hardens as a skin when boiled.

I don't have two days to wait for lunch! So I added a beaten egg and a few tsp of flour to ricotta + parm + garlic powder to firm up the gnudi and make them handle easier and then let them set in flour overnight. Boiled till they floated then dried briefly and browned in butter. The browning makes them lose a bit of their ethereal lightness, but not too much.

I like the boiled ones in a marinara.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 2

Couple of lunches.

---------------------------

• Sapporo Ichiban Chicken Flavor Ramen, with standard celery, leafy celery, Chinese roast pork, eggs poached in situ.

• Pickled scallions & Japanese cucumbers.

DSCN0367a_1k.jpg
---------------------------
A riff on Tachiyama Chankonabe.
DSCN0370b_1k.jpg
DSCN0373a_1k.jpg
DSCN0376a_1k.jpg
Napa cabbage, Shimeji mushrooms, Shiitake (Far Koo variety) mushrooms, Negi (Japanese scallion), deep-fried tofu puffs (instead of Japanese aburaage), Daikon (cut into sticks), Burdock root (gobō; 牛蒡) (sliced), carrots (sliced), Chrysanthemum leaves (tong ho), chicken thigh meat, shaved beef ribeye, yaki dofu (firm tofu block pressed further to 2/3 of original height, drained, pan-fried in peanut oil, then sliced).
Stock was from chicken bones and pork bones (parboiled first, then washed under a running tap) in fresh cold water with extra chopped chicken legs (with meat) tossed in, salted very lightly, simmered 4-5 hours, skimmed further as needed; left overnight, re-simmered. Most of the oil skimmed off. Nice gelatin-heavy light brown stock. Decanted off, reheated, a couple cloves of smashed garlic added, seasoned with Kikkoman soy sauce & sweet mirin to taste; then the assembled ingredients added in except for the yaki dofu which was eaten on the side.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 4

Today's lunch was a little non-standard. I was invited to attend a local food festival. Lunch was mainly grilled bugs. I regret that I cannot identify any of them, but neither could the young woman serving me. She gave the impression of being deeply unimpressed.

insect1.jpg

insect2.jpg

insect4.jpg

insect3.jpg

insect5.jpg

insect6a.jpg

They tasted of nothing in particular. The dressing of chilli and garlic overpowered any flavour the creatures may have. A triumph of texture over flavour, as with a lot of Chinese cuisine.

But fun!

• Like 3

If you watch the SuperBowl next week you might here this: ( Just a little tribute to my soup buddy )

OMAHA

OMAHA

HUIRAY

HUIRAY

Set ------ :)

But I'm eating this today

Broth of roasted chxn Bones and feet-- all the normal aromatics plus toasted ginger and Lime leafs-- Marinated pork with soy ,mirin, Blk pepper and corn starch

Soup was shitake mushrooms, scallions, pork, tofu noodles, cilanto, and my pepper relish

12089081293_9172ac3b59_k.jpg

• Like 5

Its good to have Morels

It's nice to have time to make something for lunch, even if it's microwave-reheating cheese sauce made last night, to stir into pasta and finish under the grill. A very cheesy sauce with half mature cheddar and half fresh parmesan. More parmesan for a topping:

2014-01-23%2013.01.29.jpg

2014-01-23%2013.03.05.jpg

And tomato salad:

2014-01-23%2013.25.17.jpg

• Like 6

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Heh. Thanks for the compliment, Paul Bacino.

For lunch today I converted the remainder of the "Tachiyama Chankonabe" into something perhaps somewhere between a Chankonabe Miso-Aji and a Yosenabe. :-) Call it "Today's Nabe". :-D

(I changed the taste profile somewhat by adding in mutenka shiro miso [Maruman], "naturally brewed soy sauce with Hokkaido kelp flavor" [Wei Chuan], sake (I used ryori-shu); then nira (Chinese garlic chives), more daikon, sliced gobō (Burdock root), Napa cabbage, shaved ribeye; and fried tofu pockets stuffed w/ {minced beef chuck mixed w/ sesame oil, chopped scallions, ground black pepper, bit of salt, minced garlic})

Eaten w/ pickled scallions & Japanese cucumbers + toasted sesame seeds.

DSCN0379a_1k.jpg

• Like 6

image.jpg

Cracklin' Chicken from Non Nom Paleo blog with some radishes.

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Lunch today:

• Spaghetti [Garofalo] tossed in the pan w/ a sauce of sautéed garlic, shallots, chopped spicy capocolla/capicola [Goose the Market], sliced mushrooms, chopped trimmed broccoli rabe, salt, dried thyme, powdered dried sage.

• Chicken broth: from chicken frames ("grass-fed"), chopped up and cut along (through) the backbone (cleaver) plus chicken quarters (chopped up), carrots, celery, salt. Really intense chickeny flavor & smell.

Bête noir, raspberry chocolate truffle [Rene's Bakery].

DSCN0410a_1k.jpg

DSCN0412a_1k.jpg

DSCN0418a_1k.jpg

DSCN0419a_1k.jpg

DSCN0422a_1k.jpg

• Like 2

Today's lunch:

Rice congee with sliced pork belly & ja3 choi3 (zha cai; ).

Sliced ginger, a few cloves of garlic, sliced pork belly (skin on), ja3 choi3.

DSCN0426a_1k.jpg

Ginger & garlic being sautéed & browned in the pot w/ peanut oil.

DSCN0427a_1k.jpg

Pork belly & ja3 choi3 added in; plus salt. Then water, simmer about 1 hour; then rice (Basmati), simmer about half to two-thirds of an hour more. Water/rice approx. 8-9/1. ETA: Oh, I also added in sliced-up deep-fried tofu puffs (commercial) towards the end.

DSCN0429a_1k.jpg

Bowl of the final stuff, w/ chopped scallions, coriander leaves, dung1 choi3 (Tianjin preserved vegetable; ), freshly deep-fried sliced shallots.

DSCN0433a_1k.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 5

WARNING: Grahic content. Viewer discretion is advised.

So my daughter took me shopping this morning and at the meat counter my eye was immediately drawn to this:

image.jpg

Calf liver that is not cut so thin that it is incinerated almost immediately. Not often you see this around here. No question what would be for lunch when I got home.

image.jpg

Sauteed calf liver with onions and some store-bought coleslaw. Heavenly.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Leftover from a catering event, i have perhaps, 100 dollars worth of lobster meat. So, tonight I will make lobster ravioli and lobster pot pie for the freezer. And then the three of us will be living on lobster rolls for the next several meals as well. Not a bad school lunch for the little one.

Here is the first of a few. A little creme fraiche and a little butter.

12222380173_7fb6381658.jpg

• Like 5

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

I'm again, dying here

""" tonight I will make lobster ravioli and lobster pot pie for the freezer. """

lucky you.

I thank G(g)od that for my sake only, not yours, at least its not Stone Crab.

:wink:

• Like 1

Basquecook, I sure hope you live far from Florida, else I might have to mug your youngun' for his/her lunch! %)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Glad that some folks have lots of lobster meat to dispose of. Tasty, yes. But still - for myself it isn't that incredible an ingredient; and it was even once treated as a trash ingredient, eaten only by those who could not afford anything better. Such are the vagaries of time and culinary mores.

When all is said and done, I appreciate lobster when I am served one but I do not hanker for one nor go out of my way for one nor crave one when other options are presented to me. YMMV.

This discussion continues in the Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014– ) topic.

Edited by Mjx Note added. (log)