• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chris Hennes

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2012–2014)

Anna, I think using "Cheater's Asian Broth" is fine. :-)

As for using Hendrick's gin as a substitute - just as in what Liuzhou said, I've never tried it; in any cooking let alone this dish. Besides, as a gin by itself, I HATE HENDRICK'S GIN. Just my personal taste. Hmm, did I mention I hate Hendrick's gin? ;-)

Certainly 二锅头 (èr guō tóu) and 玫瑰露酒 (méi guī lù jiǔ) are two different beasts. Are you able to source culinary grade dried rose petals? Chinese tea shops or traditional Chinese medicine shops often have them, I think. Well, they do here in China. I'm not sure about the situation where you are. If you can, then steep them in the èr guō tóu for a while.

I'm sceptical about the gin alternative. but I"ve never tried it.

Thanks. I have been offered some food grade rose petals so I might just give this a try. When you say "for a while" do you mean hours, days, weeks? I suspect you mean a relatively short time. I can't imagine that rose petals keep giving.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Thai-inspired carrot soup and mini ciabatta buns topped with a Spanish blue cheese (Confusion Cuisine).

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Some recent meals.

----------------------

• Fresh de-skinned walleye fillets - steamed w/ julienned fresh young ginger, trimmed sliced scallions, baby button mushrooms, Shaohsing wine [Wei Chuan], fresh-squeezed lime juice, bit of sweet mirin, bit of vegetable oil & sesame oil, a couple grinds of black pepper.

• Parboiled trimmed “Kai Lan”, tossed in the pan w/ chopped smashed garlic sautéed in vegetable oil then quenched w/ a mixture of oyster sauce [LKK], rice wine [MRT ryori-shu], Hokkaido Kelp Flavor Soy Sauce [WeiChuan], some water, dash of fish sauce [Red Boat], ground black & white pepper.

• White rice (Basmati).

DSCN9495b_1k.jpg

DSCN9494a_1k.jpg

-----------------------

• Fried rice. Done w/ chopped garlic, lap cheong (Chinese sausages - pork, wine-flavored; & liver; pre-steamed then cut into rounds), chopped Chinese celery, 2-day old Basmati rice. NB: No soy sauce was used, the color comes from the lap cheong being fried.

DSCN9503a_1k.jpg

------------------------

• Beef shin stewed w/ bamboo shoots, fresh tung koo & fresh muk yee.

• Cauliflower florets stir-fried w/ garlic and a dash of “luscious soy sauce” [Kim Lan].

• Young Tuscan kale (hydroponic stuff) soup.

• White rice (Basmati).

Whole beef shins cut into rounds were browned in vegetable oil then tossed in the pot w/ fermented bean curd w/ chilli [Chan Moon Kee, Hong Kong; 陳滿記辣椒腐乳] (this one), smashing & mushing up the blocks of bean curd with the beef and “browning” the tofu mush slightly; water & three whole heads of fresh garlic (Music; trimmed but entire heads) added, the whole brought to a boil, heat reduced and simmered for about ½ hour. Spring bamboo shoots [Yes! Produce] were blanched in boiling water, drained and halved then added to the beef shins together w/ smashed whole cloves of garlic (½ a head) sautéed/lightly browned in peanut oil (everything added in) and simmering continued. Some “aged gourmet rice vinegar” [Kong Yen Food, Inc.] and some rock sugar were also added. Trimmed, halved fresh tung koo (Chinese thick-cap shiitake-type mushrooms) & trimmed fresh muk yee (wood-ear fungus) then went in, plus a small handful of whole white peppercorns. Seasoning was adjusted and simmering continued till it was judged done. Total time around 2 hours.

DSCN9510a_1k.jpg

---------------------------

• Fried rice – with garlic, cubed char-siu (Cantonese BBQ pork), chopped (Western-type) celery leaves (leafy thin-ish stalks, not the “usual” supermarket-type fat heads), scallions cut into 2 inch lengths, day-old Basmati rice, petite frozen peas, chopped simple egg omelette, a bit of salt. (No soy sauce)

Eaten w/ Lingham’s Hot Sauce.

DSCN9523a_1k.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks. I have been offered some food grade rose petals so I might just give this a try. When you say "for a while" do you mean hours, days, weeks? I suspect you mean a relatively short time. I can't imagine that rose petals keep giving.

I've never actually tried myself, but agree they are unlikely to keep giving. I'd try a few hours or maybe overnight and see how it goes.

Wednesday I received a few pounds of GREAT tomatoes, and for lunch today I whipped up a nice, quick, fresh tomato sauce and dumped some al dente spaghetti into it. My, oh my ... simple, quick (about 20 minutes) and delicious.

• Like 3

... Shel

ddddd2 (Medium).JPG

I had some endives left in the fridge so made myself a quick endive soup.

image.jpg

A refreshing BLT salad. All the taste, none of the carbs.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Did you add, perhaps, a light coating of mayo? Couldn't tell from the pic.

... Shel

Did you add, perhaps, a light coating of mayo? Couldn't tell from the pic.

Absolutely.

My 2004 eG Blog

Several recent meals.

-------------------

Lunch

• Green & purple long beans (Vigna unguiculata ssp. sesquipedalis) stir-fried w/ garlic.

• Atlantic salmon steamed w/ rough-ground mustard (w/ jalapenos in it), standard mushrooms, ryori-shu, mirin, white pepper, fresh lemon juice, chopped parsley towards the end.

• Cous-cous, cooked w/ previously-made slow-simmered chicken broth.

DSCN9535a_1k.jpg

-------------------

Lunch

• “Schnecken” brats [Claus’ German Sausage & Meats], pan-fried. (one was saved for dinner)

• Onion rings, pan-fried & caramelized/browned.

• Fresh broccoli florets, sautéed.

• Fresh baby carrots, simmered in salted water w/ a bit of oil & some Greek oregano.

• Fresh spaghettini [Nicole-Taylor’s] cooked in the water used to cook the carrots, drained, then tossed in the pan w/ the fond/residues from frying the “Schnecken” and the onions.

DSCN9550a_1k.jpg

DSCN9551b_1k.jpg

---------------------

Lunch

• Sliced ribeye stir-fried w/ sliced fresh young ginger (see here) & scallions, EV olive oil, Himalayan pink salt & a good splash of ryori-shu [MRT].

• Taiwan A-choy stems, trimmed & skinned to the inner succulent core, then sliced up; plus the trimmed residual leaves; stir-fried w/ smashed garlic.

• White rice (Basmati) [Royal brand; Indian].

DSCN9570a_1k.jpg

--------------------

Lunch

• Another iteration of lotus root soup. (I like lotus root soup) Short-cut pork spare ribs, blanched & washed first (“fei sui”); sliced peeled lotus roots; kind-of smoked big Chinese jujubes (南棗), couple of dried cuttlefish, “yook chook” (玉竹; Yale: yuk6 juk1; Polygonatum odoratum (Mill.) Druce); “kei chee” (dried wolfberries/goji berries; 杞子); sea salt.

• Fresh radiatore [Nicole-Taylor’s], w/ a sauce made from chopped garlic, red onions, cipollini onions, Japanese Black Trifele tomatoes, Cherokee Black Heart tomato, Poblano peppers, Western-type celery leaves, Andouille sausage meat, standard mushrooms, seasoned to taste.

DSCN9579a_1k.jpg

DSCN9580a_1k.jpg

Stuff for the sauce:

DSCN9573a_1k.jpg

• Like 2

Lunch today became an unexpected banquet. So apologies for the picture quality. I thought I was going for a bowl of noodles and didn't bother taking my real camera. These are from my not very good phone. Well, it makes excellent phone calls.

DSC00071 (Large).jpg

Taro, Sweet Potato and Yam

DSC00072 (Large).jpg

Fried Rice

DSC00073 (Large).jpg

Some kind of deep fried river fish

DSC00074 (Large).jpg

Greenery

DSC00075 (Large).jpg

Chinese sausage, Hunan bacon on a bed of roasted peanuts

DSC00076 (Large).jpg

Celery and Lily Bulbs

DSC00078 (Large).jpg

White cut chicken

DSC00080 (Large).jpg

Corn

DSC00083 (Large).jpg

Braised pork ribs with Chinese herbs and pine needles

DSC00084 (Large).jpg

Steamed buns (mantou) with pickled vegetables.

IMG_8039.jpg

Taro Soup

Washed down with a beer or three.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

Interesting meal, Liuzhou. What were those greens, exactly? (Was it simply the one known in many parts as "choy sum" 菜心 or "yu choy sum" 油菜心 ?)

Edited by huiray (log)

Liuzhou, how was the corn cooked, and what was it coated with? Looks great!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

It's rare that I eat a lunch. Today I had some chicken legs in the fridge, and found a few nice looking squash and tomatoes in my garden, so figured I'd get one last taste of summer. I started by simply coloring the legs and wings in olive oil with a touch of butter over a gentle heat, then finished in the oven. Once done, I removed the legs from the pan, degreased, added some fresh olive oil and sauteed the squash, then added the tomatos, cut in eight pieces, and let stew. Then added a little chicken stock, reduce a bit, then the leg and wing meat (deboned) and some more olive oil. Finished with espelette, fleur de sel, parsley, basil and the petals of a zucchini flower.

glKibvNl.png

Nc6nUlAl.png

• Like 3

THAT is summer! Lovely... :wub:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Usually mussels are only available from the wholesale market and they are not too happy to sell me a dozen. They prefer to deal in multi-killograms. But a new supermarket opened last weekend and they are stocking them (so far). So, lunch today was a sort of moules marinières with some crusty bread,

I basically followed this recipe, but omitted the parsley (because I can't find any and don't particularly like the stuff anyway.) I think it still needed something. Some garlic would have helped.

But it was still very enjoyable.

moules 1 (Large).jpg

moules 2 (Large).jpg

moules 3 (Large).jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

Some recent lunches.

---------------------------

• Stir-fried broccoli & cauliflower florets.

• Cod fillets steamed w/ soy bean paste (陳年豆瓣醬) [Mingteh Food Industry Inc] (this one), garlic, ginger, scallions.

• White rice (Basmati).

• Sautéed snow peas (not pictured).

DSCN9583a_1k.jpg

DSCN9588a_1k.jpg

----------------------------

• Fried rice. Done w/ Andouille sausage meat, chopped garlic, couple of farm eggs, day-old rice, frozen peas, chopped scallions, chopped coriander leaves, salt.

DSCN9592a_1k.jpg

------------------------------

• Cantonese roast duck [Asia Mart], pork & shrimp wontons [Prime Food], fresh small tung koo, young Tuscan kale (hydroponic), skinny wonton noodles [Twin Marquis]; in chicken stock simmered w/ a little oil, some ikan bilis & those small tung koo.

DSCN9595a_1k.jpg

---------------------------------

B’fast/Lunch Part 1

Culatello slices & a Debreziner sausage [Goose the Market].

• Walnut & cranberry bread [brotgarten].

• Sautéed baby leeks (purposely browned/slightly blackened) (each "stalk" shown is an entire leek, minus the roots and the green tops).

Lunch Part 2

• Steamed Har Gow [Prime Food] & Shumai [JFC].

• Dipping sauce of light soy sauce [Pearl River], aged soy sauce [Kim Lan], “aged gourmet rice vinegar” [Kong Yen], a splash of sweet mirin [Honteri], chopped scallions.

DSCN9598a_1k.jpg

DSCN9601a_1k.jpg

DSCN9606a_1k.jpg

----------------------------------

• Slow-simmered chicken broth; plus fresh carrots, celery & orange sweet “snacking peppers” simmered in the broth.

DSCN9619a_1k.jpg

-----------------------------------

• Sautéed leeks (these were cut-up mature leeks, with very long white parts).

• Spaghetti [Garofalo] w/ fresh Hazan-(simple)style tomato sauce, using canned Italian-type plum tomatoes. The sauce is much less “liquid” than a previous batch using fresh ripe tomatoes (deskinned, deseeded).

DSCN9631a_1k.jpg

DSCN9633a_1k.jpg

-------------------------------------

• Hainanese Chicken Rice. Small (3 lb) Bell & Evans chicken, skin exfoliated w/ coarse Kosher salt, rinsed off, stuffed w/ sliced ginger and scallion pieces, poached [brought to boil then heat shut off] to ~ 160ºF in the thigh, dumped in ice water; rice (cooked w/ additional chicken fat, rendered in the rice pot; chopped garlic, ginger, pandan leaves, the poaching stock); young collard greens (hydroponic) in the poaching stock; grated ginger/chopped scallion/salt/hot oil dipping sauce.

DSCN9650a_1k.jpg

• Like 3