• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2012–2014)

Chris Hennes

2013-0516

Lunch

• Fried rice – with sautéed/browned sliced onion & garlic, deshelled deveined shrimp, sea salt, French-cut Roma beans, sliced Napa cabbage, eggs scrambled in situ, 2-day old rice, chunked yellow onion, chopped coriander leaves. No soy sauce was used.

DSCN8600d_1k.jpg

Don't worry Huiray, you aren't the only one eating lunch around here.

- Asparagus from my mother's allotment

- Mushroom and asparagus salad

I ate those. I also made poached eggs with leeks for my mother.

Heh. I was getting worried there. :-)

Nice salad. Hmm, poached eggs & leeks? Never tried that combination...but not far off from poached eggs with scallions, and pretty similar to doing it with negi or "big scallions", on reflection.

Don't worry Huiray, you aren't the only one eating lunch around here.

- Asparagus from my mother's allotment

- Mushroom and asparagus salad

I ate those. I also made poached eggs with leeks for my mother.

Heh. I was getting worried there. :-)

Nice salad. Hmm, poached eggs & leeks? Never tried that combination...but not far off from poached eggs with scallions, and pretty similar to doing it with negi or "big scallions", on reflection.

Eggs embedded in cooked vegetables is my mother's preferred dish for weekends. I chose leeks in an attempt to cure her cold. Then she gave it to me. :hmmm:

Lunch today:

• Walleye fillets – marinated in Shaohsing wine [Wei Chuan], sesame oil [Dragonfly], salt, fresh ground black pepper, a bit of “luscious soy sauce” [Kim Lan]; then pan-fried (with the marinade added in after the initial sear) and the sauces/juices reduced down as well. Garnished when plated w/ sliced normal scallion.

• Walleye skin “chips”. No pic. Crunch crunch. :-)

• Fresh spaghettini [Nicole-Taylor’s] tossed in the pan w/ fresh shiitake mushrooms,§ fresh bunapi-shimeji (white beech) mushrooms, asparagus§ and a large type of scallion, all sautéed (the scallion first) in EV olive oil.

§ From today’s Farmers’ Market.

A large type called “京蔥” (“Capital scallion”; Yale Cantonese: ging1 chung1), from my local Chinese grocery. They didn’t have as much white-bottom parts as normally expected, though. (They are not leeks, they have the typical hollow round green parts of the leaves of scallions/Allium fistulosum-type) Still, “京蔥” are similar to Japanese ‘negi’ and according to the grocery’s proprietess about the same thing as “Tai Chung” (大蔥; Yale Cantonese: daai6 chung1) Here’s one Chinese recipe which uses it in a stir-fry with baby octopus which might interest David Ross here on eG, heh.

DSCN8608b_1k.jpg

DSCN8612d_1k.jpg

DSCN8616b_1k.jpg

Most of the stuff before cooking:

DSCN8606c_1k.jpg

2013-0519

Lunch

• Fresh Pacific White Shrimp [Bedrock Springs Seafood Farm], head-on shell-on, simply steamed w/ julienned ginger & sliced scallions plus some salt.

• Watercress sautéed w/ garlic in vegetable oil.

• White rice (Basmati).

DSCN8619b_1k.jpg

--------------------------------

2013-0520

Late lunch/early dinner

Edible amaranth (Amaranthus dubius; 莧菜; green variety) in chicken stock w/ smashed garlic & softened dried shrimp (“Har Mai”).

• Thinly-sliced flank steak “stir-fried” w/ yellow chives and large-type scallions (京蔥).§

• Steamed white rice (Basmati).

Sliced very thinly against the grain; marinated w/ “yellow (cooking) wine” (黃酒) [Julong], sesame oil [Dragonfly], light soy sauce [Pearl River Superior], corn starch [Clabber Girl], fish sauce [Red Boat], freshly ground white pepper.

§ “Capital scallion”; Yale Cantonese: ging1 chung1.

DSCN8627b_800.jpg

DSCN8633b_1k.jpg

DSCN8634b_1k.jpg

-------------------------------------------

2013-0521

Lunch

• Fried rice – with sautéed garlic, Chinese long beans (Vigna unguiculata subsp. sesquipedalis), a large-type scallion,§ normal scallions, de-seeded long hot green chillies, eggs.

• Thai basil stir-fried w/ garlic, sliced pork & sliced flank steak.

§ “Capital scallion”; 京蔥; Yale Cantonese: ging1 chung1.

DSCN8640b_1k.jpg

2013-0522

Lunch

• Rice congee w/ ginger, shiitake mushrooms & pork spare ribs.

Very generous julienned ginger was sautéed in peanut oil until it was beginning to brown. Short-cut (against the bone) pork spare ribs, cut into individual riblets, were added and sautéed. Water was added (fond deglazed) plus sea salt and the mixture simmered for about 40+ minutes. Sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms were added plus long-grain rice (Basmati) (rice : original water ~ 1 : 10 or so) and simmering continued till the desired consistency was reached. (~ ½ - ¾ hour or so more) Occasional stirring. Eaten dressed w/ chopped scallions, coriander leaves, deep fried shallots & preserved Tianjin cabbage (“Tung Choy”).

DSCN8646b_1k.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------

2013-0523

Lunch

• More of the congee left over from the previous day.

• Lotus root soup – with sliced beef flank steak, sautéed garlic, Chinese jujubes, peanuts, sea salt, a dried salted cuttlefish.

--------------------------------------------------------

2013-0524

Lunch

• Gulf shrimp in a spicy hot broth w/ vegetables.

Chopped shallots & garlic were sautéed in peanut oil and crumbled belacan [North South brand] added in. Sour shrimp paste [Golden Boy brand] plus cut-up hot long chillies (not deseeded) followed after a short while and was stirred/sautéed in, followed by halved shallots. Water was added and the mix brought to a medium boil then simmered briefly. Green (white-streaked) (halved) and white Thai eggplants (whole) were added, followed by roughly chopped de-seeded hot long green chillies, white beech mushrooms, sliced white button mushrooms, small Lady’s Fingers (okra) (whole), juice of two large limes, a dose of fish sauce [Red Boat], peeled de-veined shrimp§ and finally trimmed Thai basil. Cooked just a very brief bit more. Oh, it was plenty hot.

§ Deheaded Gulf shrimp were peeled and deveined then soaked for a short while in “Kan Sui” (Potassium carbonate + sodium bicarbonate) [Koon Chun brand] diluted w/ water, then flushed repeatedly with cold water before adding to the cooking broth.

DSCN8661b_1k.jpg

Some of the stuff prepped:

DSCN8648a_1k.jpg

2013-0526

Lunch

Inspired by SobaAddict70’s proclivities and his current food blog on eG.

• Young & tender kale, fresh from the Farmers’ Market (FM) – de-ribbed, chopped up, simmered in chicken stock to wilt and just a little more to soften. With a smashed chopped clove of garlic & a drizzle of EV olive oil added.

• Courgettes/Baby zucchini from yesterday’s FM, flowers intact, dredged in a batter of all-purpose flour & corn starch (~ 1:1), water, one egg, some sea salt and water; deep-fried till golden-brown. Eaten as-is, clean flavor of the baby zucchini and flowers coming through.

• Morels, cleaned & halved; and asparagus, sliced diagonally – both from yesterday’s FM. Simply sautéed in butter plus some sea salt, tossed in the pan w/ drained al dente fresh radiatore (from the FM) [Nicole-Taylor’s] cooked in salted water.

DSCN8664b_800.jpg

DSCN8665b_800.jpg

DSCN8670b_1k.jpg

DSCN8673b_1k.jpg

• Like 1

It's a cool dreary cloudy day but perfect for gardening. Congee in the slow cooker seemed to fit the bill while I spent time working outside.

I made the congee thicker than usual, with several chicken backs, necks, and thighs. I swear, I eat congee just for the fixings: century egg, pork floss, Old Mother Chili with peanuts, and a lovely grind of white peppercorns that I brought back from Malaysia. Missed the cilantro tho'.

CongeeDelux1197.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

heidih: This is the chili oil I added to my congee:

OldMotherChiliOil1205.jpg

ChiliOil1206.jpg

It has a nice flavour and I love the crunchy bits from the chili peppers and the few peanuts.

huiray: THose baby zukes look lovely. Our FM doesn't start until June, and I imagine it'll be slim pickins' as we didn't get spring until this week!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

2013-0526

Lunch

• Courgettes/Baby zucchini from yesterday’s FM, flowers intact, dredged in a batter of all-purpose flour & corn starch (~ 1:1), water, one egg, some sea salt and water; deep-fried till golden-brown. Eaten as-is, clean flavor of the baby zucchini and flowers coming through.

attachicon.gifDSCN8664b_800.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN8670b_1k.jpg

huiray-

Didn't you stuff the blossoms at all? They sort of look full-ish after frying. If you did, what did you use? -Thanks.

2013-0526

Lunch

attachicon.gifDSCN8664b_800.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN8670b_1k.jpg

huiray-

Didn't you stuff the blossoms at all? They sort of look full-ish after frying. If you did, what did you use? -Thanks.

No, no stuffing was used. I just let them be. I supposed the air entrapped in the flowers just puffed out the flowers a bit after being "sealed in" by the batter coating. I removed the pistils from the bigger ones, left the smaller ones intact - all were check for bugs. :-)

2013-0527

Lunch

• Red Wattle pork cutlets, simply pan-fried in oil + some butter, and with salt & pepper.

• Mushroom medley – with fresh morels, fresh wood-ear fungus [both collected in N. Indiana; bought from the Farmers’ Market] & rehydrated snow fungus.

• Bucatini [Garofalo] tossed in the pan w/ sliced garlic (mature cloves) & baby spring garlic sautéed in butter + olive oil.

• Fresh asparagus & broccoli briefly simmered in chicken stock.

Raised by Hood’s Heritage Hogs, processed by This Old Farm. Not sure I liked all that liquid around the cutlets after defrosting. There wasn’t much fat in these cutlets; definitely redder than “commercial” pork. The cutlets had already been pre-bashed. I overcooked them a bit, not used to cooking this cut; but I was curious about it and wanted to check what the flavor was like – which was pretty good.

DSCN8679a_800.jpg

DSCN8691b_1k.jpg

DSCN8696b_1k.jpg

DSCN8688b_1k.jpg

2013-0528

Lunch

• Salmon fillets (de-skinned) simply steamed w/ sliced white button (common) mushrooms, olive oil, fresh lemon juice, sliced scallions, sea salt & fresh ground pepper.

• “Kai Lan” sautéed w/ garlic in peanut oil & quenched w/ a mixture of “Luscious Soy Sauce” [Kim Lan], Drunken Chicken Marinade [Lee Kum Kee], sweet mirin [Honteri], ryori-shu [MRT] and Ponzu sauce [Kikkoman].

I ate every bit. :-)

DSCN8698b_1k.jpg

DSCN8703b_1k.jpg

heidih: This is the chili oil I added to my congee:

attachicon.gifOldMotherChiliOil1205.jpg

attachicon.gifChiliOil1206.jpg

It has a nice flavour and I love the crunchy bits from the chili peppers and the few peanuts.

huiray: THose baby zukes look lovely. Our FM doesn't start until June, and I imagine it'll be slim pickins' as we didn't get spring until this week!

those chillies are bought from Malaysia?

2013-0530

Lunch at “MaMa’s House” Korean Restaurant in Indy.

• Banchan, 10 generous portions: Napa cabbage kimchi, lightly fried & tangy teensy baby anchovies, chillied garlic chives, tangy pickled button mushrooms, cold deep-fried hard tofu slices in a piquant sauce, lightly pickled beansprouts, baby bok choy dressed with a savory sauce, cucumber kimchi, lightly pickled daikon strips, cubed daikon kimchi. (Gratis)

• Korean fried chicken wings, chillied; dressed w/ sweet-mildly hot thick sauce. Pic of the leftover KFC brought home. :-)

• Tofu jjigae – a “stew” of small beef cubes, sliced onions, scallions, “Tong Ho” (edible Garland chrysanthemum), tofu slices, one BIG clam; simmered in a seasoned spicy broth. With white rice.

DSCN8715b_1k.jpg

Friday lunch:

Carrots, celery, French Breakfast Radishes, sliced chicken breast, chicken livers, shallots - in a chicken stock made from the second simmering of a shredded 5-lb chicken, with bones, celery, onions, carrots, sea salt. Soba noodles.

DSCN8717b_1k.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

• Simple soup of pork spare ribs, short-cut against the bone, sautéed w/ garlic; quenched w/ water, sea salt added, simmered for ~ 1hr; then washed & trimmed “kau kee choy” or “kau kei choy” (枸杞菜) (Wolfberry leaves; a different plant from the one that gives “wolfberry fruits”) (Baidu article; Google translation) added and the soup returned to a simmer for a few minutes.

DSCN8745b_1k.jpg

• Cappelini tossed in the pan w/ sautéed morels, sliced baby zucchini & spring onions.

• Slices of Jamón Serrano.

DSCN8748b_1k.jpg

• Head-on shell-on fresh farmed Pacific White Shrimp [Bedrock Springs Seafood Farm] stir-fried w/ scallions, Thai chillies, lots of pepper, sufficient sea salt, dash of fish sauce [Red Boat].

• “Wong Nga Pak” (Napa cabbage) stir-fried w/ fresh oyster mushrooms & white beech mushrooms, salted to taste.

DSCN8753b_1k.jpg

DSCN8755b_1k.jpg

• Fried rice. Chopped red-stemmed young spring onions, sliced young spring garlic, sea salt, stir-fried w/ veggie oil; four farm eggs, day-old steamed white rice. Reserved. Chopped Chinese celery sautéed w/ peanut oil & a dash of fish sauce [Red Boat]. Fried rice added back in, everything tossed and stirred together more.

• Sliced purple asparagus sautéed w/ chopped not-as-young green spring onion (this went into the oil first), sliced fresh oyster mushrooms & fresh shiitake mushrooms.

DSCN8758b_1k.jpg

DSCN8760b_1k.jpg

• Beef & green onion shui kow (or sui kow or sui gow) dumplings [Wei Chuan] and Pork, leek & shrimp shui kow dumplings [Wei Chuan].

• Skinny wonton egg noodles.

• Chicken stock simmered w/ a bit of oil and several whole ikan bilis (dried anchovies) [鴻昌隆 brand; English company name given as “Eastern Oceanic Enterprises”] plus a couple of dried far koo [紅葉 brand; “Red leaf”] plus some dried far koo stems. Mushrooms & anchovies removed, the stems trimmed off the mushrooms and the caps returned to the stock.

• Chiffonaded young kale, simmered briefly in the stock above.

All served together as a bowl of shui kow tong mein.

DSCN8764b_1k.jpg

• Pork, daikon & radish soup.

Short-cut pork spare ribs and a few chunks of thick-cut pork shoulder were sautéed with halved cloves of garlic in vegetable oil plus some sea salt. Sufficient water was added, brought to a simmer, most of the foam skimmed off, two honey dates/jujubes added and simmering continued (covered) for about an hour. Peeled daikon cut into large sticks were added, followed after ~10 min. by trimmed French breakfast radishes and fresh shiitake mushrooms (stems removed) and simmering continued for about half an hour or so.

• Spiced sautéed red-stemmed Swiss chard, purple asparagus, tomato & white wax potatoes.

Garam masala plus additional ground coriander was sutéed briefly in veggie oil, sliced white wax potatoes and sea salt added and the mix tossed around. A large chopped-up ripe tomato (hoophouse) was added and the mix stirred till juices were released. Trimmed sliced purple asparagus was added, the mix tossed; then chopped chard added and the mix stirred (partly covered) till the chard was wilted in.

I used Huizhou (region) honey dates (徽州蜜棗) [Golden Lion brand]. Honey dates/jujubes are Chinese jujubes (Ziziphus jujuba) preserved by soaking in honey then dried.

DSCN8768b_1k.jpg

DSCN8769b_1k.jpg

• Salad of red-leaf romaine & purple asparagus. Dressed w/ Maussane-les-Alpilles olive oil [Moulin Jean-Marie Cornille, Fruité Noir], 8-year-old Modena balsamic, sea salt & fresh ground black pepper.

• Sockeye salmon fillet, de-skinned. Steamed w/ some veggie oil, fresh lime juice, sweet mirin [Honteri], a bit of Shaohsing wine [Wei Chuan], sliced scallions, sea salt and white and black pepper.

• Mushroom medley. White beech, oyster, Baby Bella mushrooms and trimmed scallions sautéed w/ julienned ginger in veggie oil; with sea salt & a dash of rice wine (廣東米料酒) [Twin Lantern brand].

• White rice (Basmati).

DSCN8774b_1k.jpg

DSCN8778b_1k.jpg

DSCN8782b_1k.jpg

• Chioggia beets & greens. Beet simply cooked in simmering water w/ salt. The inner leaves/hearts of the greens blanched in oiled simmering water. Plated, drizzled w/ 8-year-old Modena balsamic vinegar & Maussane-les-Alpilles olive oil, dusted w/ sea salt & freshly ground black pepper.

• Pistachio gelato. From Goose the Market.

DSCN8783b_1k.jpg

• Linguine w/ lamb bacon, “Dodge City” salami, cippolini onions, broccoli florets, baby zucchini, Baby Bella mushrooms and fried eggs.

Sliced-up lamb bacon and “Dodge City” salami [both from Goose the Market] were sautéed in veggie oil. Sliced cippolini onions [Goose the Market] were added, the mix tossed/stirred; quartered baby zucchini [Steffen’s Quiet Springs Farm] were added followed after a few minutes by sliced Baby Bella mushrooms and then parboiled broccoli florets [Nading Farm]. After tossing a bit, al dente just-cooked (normal manner) linguine [barilla] was added and everything tossed and mixed for a bit in the hot pan. Served w/ fried farm eggs [Schacht Farm] sunny-side up on top.

DSCN8789c_1k.jpg

• Braised pork hocks.

• Chinese long beans (Vigna unguiculata ssp. sesquipedalis) stir-fried w/ garlic.

• White rice (Basmati).

Sliced ginger & smashed garlic were sautéed in veggie oil. Pork hock slices were browned in that. A good dollop of mutenka shiro miso [Maruman] was added, plus sea salt. Sufficient water was added, the stuff brought to a simmer, generous rice vinegar [Maruchan], Shaohsing wine [Wei Chuan & Asian Taste] and light soy sauce [Pearl River Superior] were added in. Rehydrated small “Far Koo” [flower-pattern thick-cap shiitake nushrooms] and two softened honey jujubes were added in. A good pour of peanut oil [Oriental Mascot] was added and “sufficient” rock sugar was thrown in. The mix was simmered for about 1½ hours with star anise (small handful) and cinnamon (2 sticks) added in about halfway through. Salting was adjusted. Daikon (cut into sticks) was added and simmering continued for ½ hour or so.

DSCN8801b_1k.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Various recent meals.

Lunch

• Fish balls [Venus brand], Italian basil & “Seafood Mushrooms” in chicken stock soup.

• More of the braised pork hocks from the previous day, on rice.

From Shanghai [Xuerong company; 雪榕] in packages. (These. Google translation.) They are called “Seafood Mushrooms” (“海鮮菇”) but are essentially what are normally called white beech mushrooms in English or “bunapi-shimeji” mushrooms in Japanese, just larger and with more differentiated/separate stems, like shimeji mushrooms on steroids. :-)

DSCN8805b_800.jpg

DSCN8809b_1k.jpg

DSCN8811b_1k.jpg

Lunch

• Tofu & spinach soup.

Smashed garlic was sautéed in peanut oil, quenched w/ Shaohsing wine [Asian Taste brand], “Naturally Brewed Soy Sauce with Hokkaido Kelp Flavor” [Wei Chuan] and chicken stock. Simmered for a bit, then soft tofu slices added in followed after a few minutes by fistfuls of trimmed/washed spinach to just wilt in and the heat shut off.

DSCN8814b_1k.jpg

Very late dinner

• De-skinned sockeye salmon fillet – lightly tossed with veggie oil, sea salt & black pepper; then simply pan-fried.

• Fried salmon skin “chip”.

• Fresh rigatoni [Nicole-Taylor’s] (cooked in the usual manner) tossed in the pan w/ sautéed garlic, chopped tomatoes, baby zucchini, crushed dried thyme, sea salt, blanched broccoli florets (basically in that order; pasta last of course).

DSCN8819b_1k.jpg

Lunch

• “Yau Mak Choy”. Romaine lettuce “flash stir-fried” w/ smashed garlic & quenched w/ a mixture of assorted savory sauces.

• Pan-fried sockeye salmon steak; pre-marinated in dijon mustard (w/ horseradish) [Maille], sauvignon blanc, fresh lime juice, sweet mirin [Honteri], ground white pepper, olive oil.

• Thick spaghetti [Nicole-Taylor’s] (sold labeled as pici) with spring green onions (white parts mainly), sliced white mushrooms, freshly picked asparagus sautéed with some of the marinating liquid for the salmon.

DSCN8828b_1k.jpg

DSCN8832b_1k.jpg

Lunch

• Linguine [barilla] tossed in the pan w/ sautéed chopped Jamón Serrano, fresh sugar snap peas, fresh young broccoli florets and an egg tossed in and scrambled right at the end.

DSCN8834b_1k.jpg

Dinner

• Lotus root soup; with pork spare ribs (short-cut), garlic, normal Chinese red jujubes, a honey jujube, dried scallops, dried shiitake mushrooms, sea salt.

Cartilaginous ones. Sautéed w/ the garlic, salted lightly, water added plus the dried scallops, dried de-stemmed mushrooms (thick-cap flower-patterned; “Far Koo”), dried red jujubes and the honey jujube and simmered for about an hour before adding the sliced lotus root and simmering for about ½ hour more.

DSCN8840b_1k.jpg

Lunch

• Spinach blanched in oiled hot water, dressed w/ ponzu sauce (lime) & fresh ground black pepper.

• Radiatore [Nicole-Taylor’s] tossed w/ sautéed young red spring onions, smashed garlic, sliced button mushrooms & fresh young broccoli florets (lots). No pic, I had already gobbled more than half of it before I remembered the camera sitting to the side.

DSCN8842a_1k.jpg

Lunch

• Broccoli florets stir-fried w/ cellophane noodles with garlic & various savory sauces.

I don’t remember exactly which sauces I used. I do this sort of thing “on the fly” and unless I write it down at once I will forget what exactly went into it. I simply use the principles of what I wish to achieve in a general sense when I do spontaneous stuff like this.

DSCN8844b_1k.jpg

Lunch

• Pork & shrimp wontons w/ spinach, celery & scallions in a chicken broth.

The chicken broth was made from long-simmering chicken frames (pastured chickens) w/ celery, carrots & sea salt.

DSCN8848b_1k.jpg

Lunch

A meal w/ 2 friends at The Libertine, Indianapolis.

• Bacon Flight – lamb bacon, jowl bacon, Smoking Goose bacon. 3 Dipping sauces.

• Devilled Eggs – classic, beet-pickled with horseradish, smoked whitefish & caviar.

• Duck fat frites, as a starter. Various dipping sauces.

• Cauliflower w/ caramelized onions & etc.

• PEI Mussels steamed w/ saffron, pastis, fennel & white wine & bread.

• Bison Sloppy Joe w/ duck fat frites.

• Fortunata of Smoking Goose Lamb Ham w/ egg salad & kimchee.

• A couple of Aviation cocktails & a couple of excellent white wines (Dr H Riesling; Tres Olmos).

Lunch

• Pork short-cut spare ribs, rehydrated “far koo” (flower-patterned thick-cap shiitake mushrooms), smashed garlic, sea salt & chopped de-ribbed kale (added towards the end) soup; eaten w/ soba noodles (cooked in the usual manner), w/ a couple farm-fresh eggs broken into and poached in the simmering soup before putting everything together.

DSCN8857b_1k.jpg

Lunch

• Sliced pork belly in sauce.

A dish loosely based on Nyonya-style “Babi Chin”.

Generous sliced shallots sautéed in peanut oil till just beginning to brown. Finely chopped garlic & ginger added, sautéed more. Veggie oil added. Ground Buah Keluak (candlenuts) (mortar & pestle) added, the mixture stirred. Ground coriander seed (very generous amount), a little ground cumin & a small scattering of whole cloves added and the mixture stirred. A couple dollops of Guilin Chili Sauce [Lee Kum Kee] and 2 tablespoons of Thick Soy Sauce [Koon Chun] added in and the mixture stirred. Sliced pork belly was added in and the whole sautéed/stirred for a short while. Hokkaido Kelp Flavor Soy Sauce [Wei Chuan] and rice vinegar [Marukan] were added in and sautéeing continued. Water was added and the whole brought to a boil then simmered for about an hour to an hour-and-a-half. Halved white wax potatoes were put in about halfway through.

• Zucchini sticks: White-and-green patterned, yellow, and normal green young zucchini, cut into quartered or halved sticks, sautéed w/ garlic & sea salt in veggie oil.

DSCN8861b_1k.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)

One of those days where I decided that I was going to "shop at home" rather than going out. Foraged dandelion greens from the "lawns" and clipped off some parsley seed heads, nasturtium flowers, oregano flowers, sorrel and various mints Had lemons from Dad in the fruit bowl. The result was a chickpea blend that incorporated all of the above along with some toasted walnut oil for smoothness. The shrimp enjoyed some of the lemon and mint, and the lumpy looking thing is cornbread made with the only corn meal I had - polenta. Dandelion greens and green onions in there. A lovely snack- going back for seconds.

010.JPG

• Like 1