• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2012–2014)

Chris Hennes

"Pak Cham Kai" [白切雞] ("white cut chicken"), small chicken poached in salted & heavily gingered water.

Cabbage soup, using the poaching water.

Rice (Hitomebore), cooked with the poaching stock with additional chicken fat.

Garlic-soy sauce: 1 head of garlic, chopped, sautéed, quenched w/ light soy sauce & MRT ryori-shu.

Chicken livers & shallots sauce: done a little differently than before.

DSCN7591a_1k.jpg

My "ABC" Sandwich-- Sometimes a fairly good good result can be achieved even in the winter!!

This is " Arugala-Bacon( shoulder/local cure)-Charub Tomatoes "

The charub cherry tomato is rather sweet

The bacon I stock up on when I can

The arugala-- was a baby variety-- quite mild in flavor

The Bread-TJ's Sprout Bread

Dukes Meyo

I had a side of my home-made Olive salad and Flax seed chips!!

8427844650_a304d52183_h.jpg

Its good to have Morels

Lunch today:

Pork ribs & veggie soup, eaten w/ soba noodles.

[short-cut pork ribs, sautéed w/ smashed garlic, simmered w/ water + chicken stock; then carrots, parsnips, shallots, trimmed innermost celery heart, sliced ordinary mushrooms, parsley. Salting adjusted.]

DSCN7599a_1k.jpg

Paul Bacino, how interesting! Charub tomatoes - hmm, I looked them up. Is it possible you mean Cherub tomatoes?

You are correct..I miss spelled it. I live in Nebraska..and getting any fresh type tomato with any flavor ..is tough! I find these to have a consistent sweetness. We use them occasionally for salad, I was really wanting a bacon sandwich...worked pretty well. I had some tomato jam..but wife is not a fan...Yikes

Its good to have Morels

Lunch today:

• Thinly-sliced beef sirloin slices** stir-fried w/ chopped smashed garlic and trimmed & opened brussels sprouts. Served over fresh "rat tail noodles" [老鼠粉] a.k.a. "silver needle noodles" [銀針粉] .

• Pickled sour mustard soup - with chopped chicken legs, quartered tomatoes, sliced fresh ginger, some sea salt, some rice vinegar, and sliced soft tofu at the end.

**Premarinated w/ sesame oil, Red Boat fish sauce, light soy sauce, generous ground white pepper, Shaohsing wine, and some cornflour.

DSCN7612a_1k.jpg

DSCN7616a_1k.jpg

Sort-of Cantonese-style steamed big-mouth bass.**

Soup of fresh bunapi-shimeji (white beech) & oyster mushrooms w/ Chinese celery in chicken stock.

White rice (Hitomebore).

** Cleaned gutted fish briefly marinated w/ sesame oil, Shaohsing wine, some light soy sauce, scallions, ginger, a bit of ground white pepper. Steamed till just done. Fish only retrieved from steaming dish (discarding liquids and other stuff), replated, fresh julienned scallions, ginger & cilantro scattered over it and the ensemble dressed w/ a sauce of [veggie oil sautéed julienned ginger & a little chopped garlic; quenched w/ light soy sauce (Pearl River Superior), MRT ryori-shu & Honteri mirin]

DSCN7626a_1k.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)

Tuesday's lunch:

• "Chow Mei Fun". Prawns & chopped de-boned chicken thigh meat stir-fried w/ julienned ginger, chopped Napa cabbage ("Wong Nga Pak"), 1-2 inch chopped scallions, chopped semi-ripe long hot chile, a few chopped red Thai chiles; then the precooked/softened "Mei Fun" (skinny rice noodles) and chopped plai egg omelet** folded in and tossed in the hot pan on the fire.

• Winter melon & beef short ribs soup, w/ rehydrated dried thick-cap shiitake mushrooms ("Far Koo"/"Tung Koo"). About 1 1/2 heads of garlic (smashed, sautéed) also went into the soup; short ribs browned in the garlic oil,before simmering/braising.

** Eggs beaten w/ a little veggie oil, a little water, a dash of salt; poured into a pretty hot well-oiled pan; the omelet is allowed to form and "bubble", browing slightly, then flipped/turned over for a few seconds and transferred to a plate. Cooking process takes about 2 minutes or less.

DSCN7641a_1k.jpg

DSCN7646b_1k.jpg

I not sure what it is called but it's tasty. Chicken thighs seasoned with alaea salt and pepper, browned in grapeseed oil, then finished with lemon grass, ginger, green onion and garlic. Added a splash of chicken stock and fish sauce followed by savoy cabbage and mushrooms to heat through in the pan juices. Served with yesterdays Israeli couscous salad.

P1000350(1).JPG

"Shui Gow Ngap Tong Meen". Skinny wonton noodles w/ the rest of the Chinese roast duck (store bought) from the other day; w/ pork-cabbage-XO sauce dumplings ("Shui Gow") [Prime Food] and fried soybean curd [the type which is "puffy" inside, sort-of "flat" pieces; a Korean brand, pretty good, as good as my usual Japanese brand and much cheaper too]. All served in chicken stock simmered w/ a little sautéed garlic. Accompanied w/ "Gai Lan" blanched in oiled hot/boiling water.

DSCN7648a_1k.jpg

DSCN7651a_1k.jpg

huiray

I want your food..seriously. Nice work!!

Paul

Just using you Paul B, I must get prawns to add to my chicken fixins. , Nice work indeed huiray.

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

DSCN0925.jpg

Thai red curry mussels.

Had some high oxygen packed mussels in the fridge - on their last day - decided I'd better have them for lunch. Had probably 8 out of a kilo that wouldn't close and another half dozen that didn't open. Should have used them a little sooner I suspect - but the ones that were suitable were quite delicious.

Lunch today:

• Spaghetti carbonara - using cured pork jowl (not quite guanciale), two egg yolks + 1 egg, Pecorino Romano, generous ground black pepper. That's it. No cream, etc etc. I did stray by using chopped parsley as a dressing.

• Plus a clear seasoned broth w/ just chopped Lacinato kale, simmered for a short while. (not pictured)

DSCN7658a_1k.jpg

DSCN7661a_1k.jpg

Late lunch today: homemade phở.

Stock from about 7-8 lbs somewhat meaty beef shin bones/mixed bones,** charred onion & charred ginger, star anise, cinnamon, cloves, coriander seeds, black cardamom (thảo quả; 草果), sugar (I used "gula melaka" today), good fish sauce (nước mắm), some salt.

**all parboiled for a few minutes, each bone rinsed/washed briefly, all added to fresh cold water in a fresh clean pot and brought to a simmer etc.

Beef tendon simmered along with the stock, removed after ~6 hrs simmer and before further processing/filtering of the stock. Omasum tripe simmered separately in salted water + a few scoops of the stock + a few splashes of fish sauce. Both sliced before final assembly in the eating bowl. Thinly sliced nice ribeye beef used as thye main beef component. Accompaniments were Thai basil (húng quế), culantro (ngò gai), lime wedges (cut SE Asian style), sliced hot long green chilli, finely sliced Napa cabbage ("Wong Nga Pak") (substitute for beansprouts); and chopped cilantro & scallions in the bowl. Some of the marrow recovered from some of the shin bones after stock preparation - in the small bowl nestled besides the chopped Napa. Fish sauce [Red Boat] alongside for adding as needed. Dragonfly brand Bánh Phở (dry), individual bundles wrapped w/ bamboo cord.

More stock added as eating progressed, with continuous additions of herbs etc. :-)

I also include a pic of the tendon bundle and the tripe (cut into a few large pieces) after cooking; and a pic of the stock during prep while simmering away.

DSCN7671a_1k.jpg

DSCN7666a_800.jpg

DSCN7663b_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1