• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2012–2014)

Chris Hennes

I was a bit distracted in the supermarket yesterday morning and ended up picking up a couple of flatfish without checking out what exactly they were. No problem I thought as I walked home - the price ticket will have the name. It did. "Special Offer Fish!" So, I'm none the wiser.

flatfish.jpg

It's about 23cm long and very flat. The skin slid off like paper, Anyway I filleted the things and sliced them. Used the the trimmings and skeleton to make a quick stock, then drained it and added garlic, ginger and little green Thai peppers and let that simmer away for a bit while I checked my email etc,

Then I dropped in the flatfish, some salmon strips I had left over, some ramen noodles, coriander/cilantro and some spring onion/scallion.

Seasoned and eaten.

fishy ramen.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpg

Simple doctored broth with store-bought meatballs, wontons and some bok choy. Fast, healthy and filling.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

One of my very few reasons to welcome winter. Hones my knife skills and then warms the cockles of my heart. Soup of the Bakony Outlaws. Google it then sharpen your knife.

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Various recent lunches.

--------------------------

• Sliced beef stir-fried w/ ginger & scallions. Beef pre-marinated w/ shaohsing wine, ryori-shu, salt, veggie oil, a dash of sesame oil, ground pepper.

• Napa cabbage & young kale stir-fried w/ garlic & fermented bean curd (fu yee; 腐乳).

• Soup of Chinese mushrooms (far koo; dried, rehydrated), snow fungus (rehydrated), lily buds (dried; pre-soaked, squeezed out lightly).

• White rice.

DSCN9947b_780.jpg

DSCN9950a_780.jpg

---------------------------

• Leftover Chinese mushroom, snow fungus & lily bud soup - augmented w/ bean curd skin rolls (fu jook, 腐竹; broken into chunks), re-simmered for a while, seasoning corrected.

• Leftover beef stir-fried w/ scalliona & ginger; with white rice.

DSCN9954a_1k.jpg

-----------------------------

• A variation of tôm sốt cà chua (prawns in tomato sauce), w/ white & red onions and alterations in the proportions of the ingredients. Large shelled & de-veined wild-caught Atlantic shrimp.

• White rice (Basmati).

DSCN9961a_1k.jpg

------------------------------

• Chicken broth (using skin-on fat-on chicken leg quarters) w/ carrots & celery (leaf celery + ‘regular’ celery) & sliced ginger. Eaten w/ mee sua (min6 sin3) [Taiwanese brand].

DSCN9964a_1k.jpg

------------------------------

• Shishito peppers pan-toasted w/ Himalayan pink salt.

• Rest of the steamed salmon from the previous dinner.

• Brussels sprouts & sweet orange ‘snacking peppers’ in chicken broth (w/ some leftover carrots). Didn’t particularly care for this. I’d parboil the Brussels sprouts separately next time, drain them and only then add them to the soup, if I ever do this combination again.

• White rice.

DSCN9972a_1k.jpg

DSCN9975a_1k.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 3

image.jpg

Thai-inspired sweet potato soup with crispy shallots.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

multigrain bagel (fresh, stopped at the bagel shop on my way home for lunch) with Greek yogurt "cream cheese" spread. I was anxious to give this a try, it is nice and tangy. Tasted more like a mild spreadable goat cheese (but without the goat-y "funk") than cream cheese. Yes, I know I can make yogurt cheese, I have made it before, but frankly I'm looking to conserve my cooking energy for the Thanksgiving run-up.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Lunch yesterday:

Choy Kon Tong (菜乾湯; Yale Cantonese choi3 gon1 tong1); using beef short ribs (bone-in), lots of garlic, dried "bok choy kon" ["Super" brand] (hard ends broken off then the rest soaked for a while in warm/cool water before adding to the simmering soup), lam jou (big, sort-of smoked dried Chinese jujubes), rehydrated far koo (Chinese flower-patterned-cap mushrooms), a couple of dried salted cuttlefish, sea salt to taste. Cooked the day before, left at RT to meld in taste.

• Smoked kielbasa [Claus' German Sausage & Meats], barrel sauerkraut [Kühne] (this one), jarred whole button mushrooms (drained), bay leaves, sufficient water, sea salt, splash of rice vinegar. From dinner the night before.

DSCN9995a_1k.jpg

DSCN9999b_1k.jpg

• Like 2

Lunch yesterday:

Choy Kon Tong (菜乾湯; Yale Cantonese choi3 gon1 tong1); using beef short ribs (bone-in), lots of garlic, dried "bok choy kon" ["Super" brand] (hard ends broken off then the rest soaked for a while in warm/cool water before adding to the simmering soup), lam jou (big, sort-of smoked dried Chinese jujubes), rehydrated far koo (Chinese flower-patterned-cap mushrooms), a couple of dried salted cuttlefish, sea salt to taste. Cooked the day before, left at RT to meld in taste.

• Smoked kielbasa [Claus' German Sausage & Meats], barrel sauerkraut [Kühne] (this one), jarred whole button mushrooms (drained), bay leaves, sufficient water, sea salt, splash of rice vinegar. From dinner the night before.

DSCN9995a_1k.jpg

DSCN9999b_1k.jpg

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

First attempt at cauliflower "fried rice". I was pleasantly surprised at how good this was. I'll be making cauliflower a staple on my shopping list!

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

I was a bit distracted in the supermarket yesterday morning and ended up picking up a couple of flatfish without checking out what exactly they were. No problem I thought as I walked home - the price ticket will have the name. It did. "Special Offer Fish!" So, I'm none the wiser.

attachicon.gifflatfish.jpg

It's about 23cm long and very flat. The skin slid off like paper, Anyway I filleted the things and sliced them. Used the the trimmings and skeleton to make a quick stock, then drained it and added garlic, ginger and little green Thai peppers and let that simmer away for a bit while I checked my email etc,

Then I dropped in the flatfish, some salmon strips I had left over, some ramen noodles, coriander/cilantro and some spring onion/scallion.

Seasoned and eaten.

attachicon.giffishy ramen.jpg

Sand Dab, I'm thinking. The fish, I mean.

• Like 1

liuzhou

how did you do the cauliflower?

rotuts: check post 163 in the Cooking for Weigh Loss thread for my version of cauliflower fried rice. I included a brief "how-to".

Is that the way you did your friend rice, Ann N?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

liuzhou

rotuts: check post 163 in the Cooking for Weigh Loss thread for my version of cauliflower fried rice. I included a brief "how-to".

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

liuzhou

Similarly:

Tossed the cauli into a little food processor and pulsed to get it ricish. Fried some bacon pieces until crispy. Made a plain omelette and sliced it up. Fried some onions and some mushrooms in the wok along with some grated ginger. Added the "rice" and tossed it around a bit. Covered the wok for 2-3 minutes just to cook the cauliflower. Added in the sliced omelette and the bacon and some sliced scallions. Seasoned with salt, pepper and a couple of splashes of soy. Dumped into a bowl and drizzled with some sesame oil. Quite yummy and satisfying.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Scotch broth made with a leftover lamb shoulder from the freezer. Satisfying lunch just before we went outside to hang more Christmas lights.

I didn't have plain old barley, so I added a couple handfuls of ancient grains, which contained a variety of barley.

ScotchBroth1769.jpg

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

It's a long and uninteresting story why but I ended up in an unexpected lunch with a delightful friend I just happened to run into outside a Hunan restaurant here in Guangxi.

We had 口水鸡 (kǒu shuǐ jī) which I translate as "Mouthwatering Chicken". Some people insist on the more literal "Saliva Chicken", but I feel that is not the sentiment intended.

It is steamed or poached chicken in a light chilli sauce. There was raw cucumber hiding underneath. Really fresh and indeed "mouthwatering".

Mouthwatering Chicken (Large).jpg

Next to turn up was this bowl of 花生苗 (huā shēng miáo) or peanut stems - the stems of the peanut plant. They are sweet and crunchy, but not peanut-y. Truly delicious.

peanut stems (Large).jpg

Then we had 跳舞虾 (tiào wǔ xiā) or "Dancing Shrimp". A table top stove with raw, shell-on but butterflied shrimp mixed with onion strips and enoki mushrooms, covered in a mix of chilli and Sichuan peppercorns turned up, and a waitress cooked the thing table top.

dancing shrimp0 (Large).jpg

Dancing shrimp (pre-cooking)

dancing shrimp (Large).jpg

Dancing shrimp (after the ball).

Not a pretty dish, but it was the tastiest of the three.

All served with plain steamed rice and a nice green tea.

Then friend and I went shopping for dinner, before she carried me home on her motorcycle.

• Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Wow, liuzhou, quite the lunch. The mouth-watering chicken is especially appealing.

A funny little lunch yeasterday. After a plate of eggs and sausage for breakfast I wasn't very hungry come lunch. The last of the SV ribs, sliced and topped with MC@H cheese sauce (Kerry Gold cheddar and an aged gruyere).

image.jpg

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog