• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2012–2014)

Chris Hennes

I am always amazed by huiray's lunches but especially by his use of chicken broth. I think a light finally went on in my head and I realized that he takes chicken broth as a base and then adds whatever tasty bites he has on hand, fresh and/or leftover. I doubt I can come close to his access to amazing ingredients or to his imagination in combining them but this was still tasty.

image.jpg

Chicken broth simmered with some ginger, garlic and star anise. Wontons, meatballs and chopped spinach added once it had a chance to develop some flavour.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

One egg omelette - One goose egg.

Goose egg omelette with beef bone marrow and mixed mushrooms.

A new supermarket in town has goose eggs and beef marrow bones

So, I removed the marrow from the bones and sliced it up a bit, rehydrated some cépes and sliced some button mushrooms.
I put the marrow into a dry pan and let it render / cook. Some of the rendered fat was poured off and saved for another day.
The mushrooms were added and fried till cooked through, then set aside.
bone marrow and mushrooms cooking.jpg
The pan was cleaned and some butter melted. A goose egg was cleaned, cracked and beaten with s+p and some dried Herbes de Provence (sure, fresh would have been better, but what you ain't got you don't have. I'm a long way from Provence.)
The egg mixture was tipped into the pan and swirled to coat the base. As the egg on the bottom set, the unset egg on top was tipped to the edge in the time-honoured fashion.
When almost set, the mushroom and marrow mixture was added to one side of the thing
and the omelette folded around the filling.
It was then plated
Seconds later it looked like this
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Yesterday's lunch:

De-ribbed Tuscan kale blanched in boiling oiled water; couple of natural-case Wieners [Dietz & Watson] cooked in that oiled boiling water; "Vegetarian Noodles" (dried) [White Elephant brand] cooked in salted water then tossed w/ leftover Marcella Hazan tomato sauce.

DSCN9874a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 2

image.jpg

Stir-fried ginger beef with tomatoes from Stir Frying to the Sky's Edge. I served it over shirataki noodles. This was initially quite disappointing. There are any number of Asian ingredients but all were buried by the tomatoes. But it grew on me. I am not a fan of Italian pasta with tomato-based sauces yet I would make this again. So perhaps those Asian ingredients played a larger role than I give them credit for.

There was enough for two meals so I re-heated it for dinner and added some bok choy on the side.

Must learn less messy plating techniques.

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

(This is a re-post of something posted a couple of days ago. The original post got eaten by the nasties lurking in the system. Intrepid investigators are investigating intrepidly.)

One egg omelette - One goose egg.

Goose egg omelette with beef bone marrow and mixed mushrooms.

A new supermarket in town has goose eggs and beef marrow bones

goose eggs 3 (Large).jpg

marrow bone (Large).jpg

So, I removed the marrow from the bones and sliced it up a bit, rehydrated some cépes and sliced some button mushrooms.

bone marrow and mushrooms (Large).jpg

I put the marrow into a dry pan and let it render / cook. Some of the rendered fat was poured off and saved for another day.

bone marrow rendering (Large).jpg

The mushrooms were added and fried till cooked through, then set aside.

bone marrow and mushrooms cooking (Large).jpg

The pan was cleaned and some butter melted. A goose egg was cleaned, cracked and beaten with s+p and some dried Herbes de Provence (sure, fresh would have been better, but what you ain't got you don't have. I'm a long way from Provence.)

The egg mixture was tipped into the pan and swirled to coat the base. As the egg on the bottom set, the unset egg on top was tipped to the edge in the time-honoured fashion.

omelette3 (Large).jpg

When almost set, the mushroom and marrow mixture was added to one side of the thing

omelette3 unfolded (Large).jpg

and the omelette folded around the filling.

omelette3 folded (Large).jpg

It was then plated

omelette3 plated (Large).jpg

Seconds later it looked like this

omelette3 eating (Large).jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

Glad you were able to re-post. It has never occurred to me to re-hydrate mushrooms to use in an omelette. It reveals how my thoughts are pigeon-holed for no good reason! Must incorporate dried mushrooms into other things than stews and Asian dishes. Thanks.

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

A kitchen sink soup based on cheater's Asian chicken broth.

My 2004 eG Blog

In most ways this was a very simple light lunch, but it was also rather special.

I was given a wonderful gift of some beautiful Jinhua Ham (金华火腿), generally regarded as China's finest. And fine it is! One of the world's finest, I would say - certainly up there with the Spanish wonders.

jinhua.jpg

So I added a bit to a chicken stock made using free-range chicken legs (they range with the rest of their body, too) with shallots, garlic, and ginger.

Then once the stock was ready, I used it to cook some chicken leg meat, added some more of the ham, some (very) fresh rice noodles handmade by my neighbour (no oil!), a little salt (Beihai sea salt from near the Chinese/Vietnamese border) , a sprinkling of Shichimi Togarishi (Japanese 7 spice mixture) and a scattering of chopped Chinese chives (these were added right at the end and allowed to wilt in the residual heat while I took the photos.

jinhua and chicken noodles2.jpg

jinhua and chicken noodles.jpg

Happy mouth.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

Some recent lunches.

------------------------

• Beef shin & veggie soup.

Whole beef shin, trimmed, cut into 1½ - 2 inch rounds, browned in oil seasoned w/ lightly crushed garlic cloves (reserved); quenched w/ water, sautéed garlic added back in, sea-salt added, simmered for 30-40 min; whole cloves & stick cinnamon & a couple whole star anise added in together w/ halved scrubbed purple potatoes & halved baby scrubbed daikon; simmered some more. Halved (lengthwise) fresh carrots & generous quartered red & white onions added, simmered some more. Seasoning adjusted. [The only thing that had its “skin” removed was the garlic, and the onions with the dry skin taken off. ;-) ]

• Broccoli florets, stir-fried w/ smashed garlic & fu yee (fermented beancurd) [Chan Moon Kee] simmered down in the sautéeing mixture.

• White rice (Basmati).

DSCN9664b_1k.jpg

-------------------------

Kon Lo Mein, using skinny wonton noodles; dressed w/ a sauce of minced beef & veal (1:1) sautéed w/ garlic and ginger & various sauces including oyster sauce [LKK], “Luscious Soy Paste” [Kim Lan], sesame oil [Dragonfly], mirin, light soy sauce, ryori-shu.

• Steamed har gow & siu mai [commercial], eaten w/ a dipping sauce of mixed soy sauces w/ rice vinegar & chopped scallions.

DSCN9882a_1k.jpg

DSCN9884a_1k.jpg

--------------------------

• Fried rice. Roughly chopped char siu (Chinese BBQ pork), chopped smashed garlic, a sliced-up Carmen Italian sweet pepper, 2-day-old white rice (Basmati), frozen peas, lots of trimmed Thai basil, sliced-up plain 3-egg omelette (fried separately; hot oil, hot pan, sizzle, flip).

• Chicken broth w/ carrots & leaf celery.

DSCN9897a_800.jpg

--------------------------

Kangkong belacan, with dried prawns (har mai) added in as well.

Babi pongteh, with sliced pork belly (*definitely* skin-on). This time I loosely patterned it after this recipe but using peanut oil and Red Thumb & Austrian Crescent fingerling potatoes. I used palm sugar (gula melaka).

• White rice (Basmati).

DSCN9904a_800.jpg

DSCN9906a_800.jpg

There are discussions about removing (!) pork belly skin elsewhere on the forum as well as discussions that largely dwell on getting great puffed and crispy skin etc. IMO soft, yielding, fall-apart skin w/ lovely gelatinous textures (such as in this dish) are quite wonderful too, but perhaps not all will appreciate that. :-)

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

image.jpg

Tebasaki chicken wings from a Cooking with Dog recipe. (For those not familiar, the dog is the host not the main ingredient.)

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

The last of a supermarket rotisserie chicken. Torn romaine, grape tomatoes, shredded chicken, few parmesan strips all dressed with a faux caesar dressing.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Remember this topic

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/145656-instant-lunch-half-an-hour-to-make-and-eat-for-unexpected-visitor-suggestions-anyone/?hl=lunch

Where I asked for help coming up with speedy lunches for unexpected guests?

When all your suggestions poured in I realized,

a. You must have thought I'd finally lost all my marbles

and

b. I had neglected to share a very limiting parameter - my guest(s) are low or no carbers!

So today I was challenged again but pulled together this:

image.jpg

Romaine lettuce, grape tomatoes, smoked oysters, hearts of palm, mayo, faux caesar dressing, store bought antipasti and (not shown) homemade roasted tomatoes.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Remember this topic

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/145656-instant-lunch-half-an-hour-to-make-and-eat-for-unexpected-visitor-suggestions-anyone/?hl=lunch

Where I asked for help coming up with speedy lunches for unexpected guests?

When all your suggestions poured in I realized,

a. You must have thought I'd finally lost all my marbles

and

b. I had neglected to share a very limiting parameter - my guest(s) are low or no carbers!

So today I was challenged again but pulled together this:

image.jpg

Romaine lettuce, grape tomatoes, smoked oysters, hearts of palm, mayo, faux caesar dressing, store bought antipasti and (not shown) homemade roasted tomatoes.

My 2004 eG Blog

Not often do I bring a ready-to-eat lunch home from the grocery store. I was out much longer than I expected and had turned down an offer of poutine from the chip truck! Such virtuosity deserved a reward:

image.jpg

Vietnamese vegetarian roll from the sushi bar. It was surprisingly tasty and filling.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog