• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2012–2014)

Chris Hennes

image.jpg

Chicken dopiaza from 50 Great Curries of India by Camellia Panjabi.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

jvalentino - I also enjoy tacos made with plush greens. Have you ever roasted chickpeas til crunchy? The contrast between the braised chickpeas and a handful of roasted one added at the last minute to the taco might have been a fun crunch or some crumbled chicharones.

jvalentino - I also enjoy tacos made with plush greens. Have you ever roasted chickpeas til crunchy? The contrast between the braised chickpeas and a handful of roasted one added at the last minute to the taco might have been a fun crunch or some crumbled chicharones.

Chicharones are a great idea! A handful of roasted chickpeas would have been nice too. I did make some roasted with this batch but they were a morning snack. :) Thanks for the ideas.

Several lunches from recent days.

--------------------------

• Pan-fried King Oyster mushroom slices; w/ just salt & pepper.

• Lotus root soup. With pork short-cut spare ribs, garlic, Chinese jujubes (lam jou variety), Honey jujubes, Goji berries (kei chee), raw peanuts, dried cuttlefish, sea salt.

DSCN0150a_1k.jpg

DSCN0153a_1k.jpg

-------------------------

Bak Kut Teh (Herbal Hoklo-Canto variety) w/ fried tofu puffs.

• Gai Lan, stir-fried w/ garlic & a sauce mixture of aged Kimlan soy sauce, Morita ryori-shu, Kimlan luscious soy sauce, sesame oil [Dragonfly], oyster sauce [LKK], white pepper.

Yau Char Kwai (youtiao; Chinese crullers).

• White rice (Basmati), cooked w/ fresh deep-fried shallots and shallot oil, garnished w/ fried shallots.

DSCN0164a_1k.jpg

• Fresh broad linguine [Nicole-Taylor’s]; tossed w/ a sauce of unsalted butter, chopped walnuts, gorgonzola dolci (melted in), heavy/whipping cream. Dressed w/ parsley florets. Had seconds and thirds; ate the whole pan of it, carb coma ensued. Zzzzz.

DSCN0173b_1k.jpg

DSCN0176a_1k.jpg

• Leftover seared/roast picanha, sliced.

• Boiled fresh fingerlings.

• Leftover salad (Spinach, Napa cabbage, Shunkyo radish, oil & vinegar, salt, pepper)

DSCN0184a_1k.jpg

• Fresh pork sausage (schnecken; [Claus’]) pan-fried then sautéed with the remainder of the bamboo shoots mixture from dinner the previous day, plus a bit more Szechuan-type “nga choy” (suimiyacai).

• Black rice noodles (黑米面/黑米麵) [Havista] [actual Chinese brand: 五穀豐牌].

• More “Choy Kon Tong”, cooked the previous day and left at RT (covered pot), now deeper in flavor.

DSCN0208a_1k.jpg

DSCN0211a_1k.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 4

image.jpg

A comforting bowl of noodles on a cold and snowy Christmas day.

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Re-heated potatoes, SV short rib, beets.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Couple of recent lunches.

---------------------------

• Short-tied Knackwurst, barrel Sauerkraut w/ its juices, sautéed sliced shallots, caraway seeds, salt, rice vinegar, rice wine/ryori-shu.

DSCN0216a_1k.jpg

----------------------------

• More of the Knackwurst + Sauerkraut. (no pic)

• "Cantonese Pan-fried Noodles" w/ mixed ingredients, from a local Chinese take-out joint well-liked by the general population. Sad to say, I found it too gloopy (wow, talk about corn-starch overload) and barely edible, notwithstanding its appealing look in the photo. Pan-fried? Uh, there was no crunch to it at all. The fake krab was also "off".

DSCN0226a_1k.jpg

• Hainanese Chicken Rice.

Small Bell & Evans chicken, salt-rubbed/exfoliated. Smashed ginger/scallions/salt etc poach. Poaching stock w/ chopped Taiwan Bok Choy (a slender form of wong nga pak / Napa cabbage). Rice cooked w/ sautéed shallots, ginger, garlic, pandan leaves (didn't particularly care for the last item, really). Three sauces: 1) ginger-scallions-sea salt-hot oil; 2) chopped garlic sautéed in veggie oil & quenched w/ sang chow (Pearl River) + water + rice wine; 3) Lingham's (sweet) Hot Sauce + Mae Ploy (Thai-type sweet chilli sauce) + fresh lime juice + rice vinegar.

DSCN0235a_1k.jpg

• Like 2

image.jpg

Chicken salad with a peanut dressing.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Simmered cabbage with beef Shan style (from Cooking Light)

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Kitchen sink soup. Mild Italian sausage, onion, shiitake mushrooms, carrots and store-bought chicken broth. It was seasoned with salt, pepper and some thyme sprigs. A little parsley might have brightened its appearance but the flavour needed no help.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Some recent lunches.

• Brat schnecken [Claus'], pan-fried.

• Linguine [De Cecco], tossed w/ a sauce of chopped shallots (fried in the pan used for the schnecken, residues + oil and all), halved cherry tomatoes (Cherubs), dried thyme, lots of trimmed parsley, seasoning adjusted.

DSCN0256a_1k.jpg

• Rice congee. Julienned ginger (lots) lightly browned in oil, short-cut pork spare ribs, a form of (spicy) preserved mustard (syut choi; 雪菜; literally "snow vegetable"), some sea salt, water, Thai Hom Mali rice; eaten dressed w/ deep-fried shallots, Tianjin preserved vegetable (tung choy) (天津冬菜), chopped scallions & coriander leaves.

DSCN0268a_1k.jpg

• Slow-simmered chicken broth w/ vegetables. A stewing chicken plus a Silkie chicken was used, both chopped up; simmered w/ some sliced ginger, carrots, Western celery, sea salt. Stock/broth (a portion) re-simmered w/ fresh celery, red + yellow + orange carrots. Served w/ some of the skin from both chickens.

DSCN0275a_1k.jpg

• Cabbage, garlic & parsley soup. Chicken stock.

• Broiled porterhouse (salt & pepper), fried rice (celery, scallions, salt). Didn't finish the steak.

• A slice of Bête Noire, an éclair, one raspberry-sugar coated chocolate truffle. All from Rene's.

DSCN0298a_1k.jpg

DSCN0301a_1k.jpg

DSCN0303a_1k.jpg

• Like 4

Couple of lunches.

-----------------------------

• Sliced pork belly marinated w/ Shaohsing wine, black pepper, sesame oil, ryori-shu, mirin, oyster sauce; stir-fried w/ Western celery, scallions, baby leeks.

• Lotus root soup. Made w/ chicken & beef pieces, smashed garlic, vegetable oil, raw peanuts, lam jou (a sort-of smoked large Chinese jujubes), kei chee (Goji berries), yook chook (dried rhizome of Polygonatum odoratum), dried salted oysters (of a variety called 沙井蠔) (from the Pearl River delta), water, salt.

• White rice (Basmati).

DSCN0315a_1k.jpg

• Smashed garlic (lots) sautéed w/ bamboo shoots, chopped baechu kimchi, sliced scallions & coriander leaves. Eaten w/ skinny wonton noodles.

• More of the lotus root soup from the previous lunch.

DSCN0320b_1k.jpg

DSCN0322a_1k.jpg

• Like 4

Couple of lunches.

• Sliced pork belly marinated w/ Shaohsing wine, black pepper, sesame oil, ryori-shu, mirin, oyster sauce; stir-fried w/ Western celery, scallions, baby leeks.

• Lotus root soup. Made w/ chicken & beef pieces, smashed garlic, vegetable oil, raw peanuts, lam jou (a sort-of smoked large Chinese jujubes), kei chee (Goji berries), yook chook (dried rhizome of Polygonatum odoratum), dried salted oysters (of a variety called 沙井蠔) (from the Pearl River delta), water, salt.

• White rice (Basmati).

attachicon.gifDSCN0315a_1k.jpg

• Smashed garlic (lots) sautéed w/ bamboo shoots, chopped baechu kimchi, sliced scallions & coriander leaves. Eaten w/ skinny wonton noodles.

• More of the lotus root soup from the previous lunch.

attachicon.gifDSCN0320b_1k.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN0322a_1k.jpg

How do you eat so much in the middle of the day and not have to nap?! It looks so amazing! But it's more than I est in a day, forget a meal.

• Chicken thighs braised w/ garlic (~2 heads worth), shallots & very generous ryori-shu (leftovers from the previous dinner, see here), re-simmered w/ skinny bamboo shoots, seasoning adjusted. Eaten w/ soba (with yam) noodles, cooked in the usual manner.

• Stir-fried turnip greens & pencil asparagus.

• Japanese cucumbers & sliced scallions pickled w/ rice vinegar [a mix of Marukan (Japanese) "Brewed Rice Vinegar" + Kong Yen (Taiwan) "Aged Gourmet Rice Vinegar"], some sweet mirin, salt (the cucumbers were salted first, then rinsed & squeezed off), toasted sesame seeds.

DSCN0337a_1k.jpg

I ended up eating all of the batch of pickled cucumbers I made - about three times the amount shown in the picture. :-)

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 3