• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! What did we make? (2012 – 2014)

Chris Hennes

I made some chocolates for the high school graduation party of a friend's daughter. The total for the batch was about 225 pieces. The hazelnut and the lemon were specially requested. The image is of a guide I made to tell guests what they were eating. Usually I try to decorate the outside to suggest what the ganache is, but in some of these I decided just to go for a festive look.

dutton-06-07-14.jpg

• Like 3

Jim those chocolates look amazing!!  I was wondering if you would share your pina colada formula?  I have been trying one out and the results are not great, cant really explain.

After some of the items you have made, a compliment from you means a lot. For the pina colada, let me refer you to a recent posting of mine asking for assistance in understanding what was happening: http://forums.egullet.org/topic/63097-ganache-tips-techniques/page-17 -- it is post #492 and includes the ingredients. My results are not perfect, but I am still working on it. As Kerry Beal suggested in her reply to my post, the coconut oil is probably the key to the issue.

Jim

Thanks Jim,  I noticed your note about the runniness of the ganache after it is made.  When I make my strawberry mint bonbons I run into the same issue, the first time I thought I screwed up, but over time it firm up when sitting in the molds.   

Do you reduce the pineapple puree because of the water content or leave it as is?  I will have to try your formula, I would never think to use coconut oil because I have tasted coconut oil before and I was not happy waxy feeling on my tongue.  Maybe its me, my wife tells me I am weird, lol!!  

Thanks Jim,  I noticed your note about the runniness of the ganache after it is made.  When I make my strawberry mint bonbons I run into the same issue, the first time I thought I screwed up, but over time it firm up when sitting in the molds.   

Do you reduce the pineapple puree because of the water content or leave it as is?  I will have to try your formula, I would never think to use coconut oil because I have tasted coconut oil before and I was not happy waxy feeling on my tongue.  Maybe its me, my wife tells me I am weird, lol!!

Matthew,

As I understand it, there are two types of coconut oil, deodorized and non-deodorized. With pina colada, you want the coconut taste, so it's the second type. I am sure cream of coconut could be substituted or coconut purée. Yes, coconut oil is waxy--in fact, when it is cold, it acts just like a container of wax. But when mixed in a ganache, this quality disappears.

As for the pineapple, I pressed the pineapple between paper towels and then processed it. I started to strain it, but all I was getting was liquid, so I just used it as it came from the food processor. It could be reduced, of course, but in my experiments I tried canned pineapple, and the flavor was significantly less, and that's what you would get if you cooked the fresh pineapple. In general, I have found that many of the commercial frozen purées have more of the consistency of juice, so I left in the pineapple pulp and don't have a problem with the texture it adds. I just returned from the party where the pina colada chocolates were served, and they seemed to be a big hit. I don't think the "pina colada" name hurts!

Jim

Finally got around to take a picture of what I have been making lately at work.  I wish I had something better to place them on rather that a white plate.  I am hoping my GM takes better pictures soon for the facebook page.  Well here they are:

The Macaroons and both filled with silky chocolate ganache.   The chocolates starting left to right are: Strawberry Mint, Amaretto truffle, Pina Colada(Thanks Jim D. for the formula) Raspberry Lime bon-bon, Milk Chocolate Caramel. 

choc and mac.JPG

• Like 5

Those are flat-out beautiful, and enough to break any dieter's heart.  Gorgeous!  Thank you! Oh, and congratulations!  :wub:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

The chocolates starting left to right are: Strawberry Mint, Amaretto truffle, Pina Colada(Thanks Jim D. for the formula) Raspberry Lime bon-bon, Milk Chocolate Caramel. 

Matthew,

So how did the pina colada ganache turn out?  Did you have the same experience I did--the ganache was very fluid at first, then became very firm?  And did the pineapple flavor come through successfully?

Jim

Matthew,

So how did the pina colada ganache turn out?  Did you have the same experience I did--the ganache was very fluid at first, then became very firm?  And did the pineapple flavor come through successfully?

Jim

Yes it did start off a little fluid at first, I did do a couple things different.  I didn't have cocoa butter so I increase the white chocolate to 400g.  I did a mix between fresh pineapple and a small amount juice, but I did not strain, I added it at the end and burr mix.  the rum stayed the same and coconut oil I reduce to 50g and added with the pineapple.  after everything was in the bowl, it didn't stay fluid for a long time, it set up better well in the fridge before capping.  After I was done making them, we went upstairs to the bar and made a real colada and compare, couldn't tell a difference!!! 

I think when I was making them before the rum was too overpowering and the coconut and pineapple got overmatch and was not setting up right.  You formula has a great mixture. 

I wrote notes down if you want me to post, but I wont be able to until Thursday.  Thanks again for the formula.

Matt

Hey everyone. I was wonderingnif someone could comment of this. Im moving in a few months, then marrying my bride about a month after that. Our new place has a kitchen far smaller then im used to, so its going to take some planning, but its going to work one way or another. Im going to be assembling the chocolates for our wedding, so I have all the cocoa butter colors made up already. But I wanted peoples opinion on chef rubbers cocoa butter warmer.

http://www.shopchefrubber.com/Cocoa-Butter-Warmer/

It seems quite clever. When I reheat my cocoa butters in the microwave, I do it in small increments, but each time im sort of paranoid about over heating them and throwing them out of temper. The cocoa butter warmer caught my eye, id love to put my colors in there an hour before and forget about them. Does anyone have one of these units? Also, what caught my eye is the price. Somehow I would have expected it to be more expensive then $50. Any thoughts?

Hey everyone. I was wonderingnif someone could comment of this. Im moving in a few months, then marrying my bride about a month after that. Our new place has a kitchen far smaller then im used to, so its going to take some planning, but its going to work one way or another. Im going to be assembling the chocolates for our wedding, so I have all the cocoa butter colors made up already. But I wanted peoples opinion on chef rubbers cocoa butter warmer.

http://www.shopchefrubber.com/Cocoa-Butter-Warmer/

It seems quite clever. When I reheat my cocoa butters in the microwave, I do it in small increments, but each time im sort of paranoid about over heating them and throwing them out of temper. The cocoa butter warmer caught my eye, id love to put my colors in there an hour before and forget about them. Does anyone have one of these units? Also, what caught my eye is the price. Somehow I would have expected it to be more expensive then $50. Any thoughts?

That unit looks like a re-purposed yogurt maker; it could work.  Many people here use an Excalibur dehydrator to melt their cocoa butters. I use the microwave method (just don't use a lot of colored cocoa butter).

Congratulations on your engagement and upcoming wedding!  :smile:

Edited by curls (log)
  • Like 1

Reminded me of this one that I seriously considered for a while before I realized I could get the same effect with a flat warmer with a hotel pan turned over on it for a lot less money.

I would have added an Ikea dimmer switch to get the temp down (yogurt is a bit warmer).  

Congrats on the wedding, sympathy on the kitchen change!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

I use a steamer with a hotel pan covering the butters. I can keep my butters, my airbrush etc in there and keep it all in temp. I just set my steamer at the right temp over night and in the morning everything is all melted. Easy.

The posts above are so brilliant with the re-purposing of familiar kitchen items.  Reminds me very sharply of why I love being on eGullet.  The generosity of the members is outstanding, as always. 

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

That unit looks like a re-purposed yogurt maker; it could work.  Many people here use an Excalibur dehydrator to melt their cocoa butters. I use the microwave method (just don't use a lot of colored cocoa butter).

It IS a yogurt maker, and cheaper on amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/Dash-DSY007CM-STAINLESS-Yogurt-Maker/dp/B00AWDTISK

It looks like there is a timer but not a temp adjustment, so I wonder if CR has added something to adjust the temp?

I dont think they added anything....ive seen that same picture of the yogurt and fruit filled cups on chef rubber for the 'cocoa butter warmer.' And ive wondered why on earth there is fruit and yogurt in the cups of a device designed to warm cocoa butter. Well thats dissapointing...I would have expected different from them. Maybe its worth getting a unit cheaper to see. Anywho, thanks for your replies all!

well, a yoghurt maker will hold the yoghurt at ~40-42C, iirc. That's too high to keep the cocoa butter in temper - but if there's no lid on it, perhaps the temperature doesn't get that high. Would be fine to just melt it out though, I guess :)

Edited by keychris (log)

I would look for a yogurt maker on Craigslist. I have one and it does get hotter than one needs for cocoa butter. I have a dimmer on it to lower the temperature like Kerry suggested.  

• 2 weeks later...

Regretfully, im not able to post as much as I used to, but operations will begin again when im in my new home! For now, I got some time today to make a few chocolates. I was seeing a comparison of the different luster dusts I have, and which ones will best enhance the chocolates im making for my wedding. These hearts are just solid pieces, I just wanted something to color, as well as their being used in our engagement photos tomorrow. ehasyruq.jpg

• Like 3

Welcome back, minas6907!

Those chocolates are beautiful. If I were in the same room with them, I doubt I could avoid any of them; they're beautiful and tempting both with and without the luster dust.  

Congratulations!  May your ceremony, and the subsequent marriage, be joyous.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Hey thanks so much, bother of you! The wedding planning is going good, but so many details! My soon to be wife is very organized, so shes taking care of many of the little details. Im doing a few things, and mostly designing the chocolate/candy table and the items on it.