• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! What did we make? (2012 – 2014)

Chris Hennes

Heres some more pictures from the wedding last night. Of purchased items, there were the chocolate and powdered donuts, as well as the golden sixlet candies the lollis were placed in. Otherwise, I made the pear pate de fruit, plain and salted caramels, blueberry/lemon/lavender/strawberry taffy, peppermint patties, honey peppermint hard candies, strawberry-banana heart gummies, almond nougat, and grande marnier lollipops.

2013-03-23 17.16.34.jpg

2013-03-23 17.17.14.jpg

2013-03-23 17.17.47.jpg

2013-03-23 17.20.52.jpg

2013-03-23_17-17-12_801.jpg

2013-03-23_17-23-38_361.jpg

Thanks for the compliments!

Heres something I did today, just made a small batch of peach pate de fruit to test out how depositing from a funnel goes, didnt have an issue at all, I've been concerned about it setting up in the confectionery funnel, but it stayed fluid right to the end.

Peach Dome Jellies.jpg

Excellent - what sort of pectin were you using?

I'm using the same stuff, its the 'pate de fruit pectin' from chef rubber, in the description it does say it is a slow setting pectin. . When I cast the mixture into a frame, it seems to develop a skin rather quickly, but surprisingly I was able to deposit all the mixture without any problems whatsoever, I saw no signs of setting inside the funnel, and of course, I put the funnel in simmering water before I filled it.

Anyways, I loved how it worked, I'm eager now to make individual two tone jellies, like the peach melbas.

My contributions to Passover dessert. Clockwise from left: chocolate/caramel covered matzah, milk chocolate mendiants with nuts, peppermint and coconut truffles, blood orange pates de fruits, more mint truffles and more matzah. Thanks for looking!

Ruth

passover 2013.jpg

What did I make? I'm hoping you can tell me...

This is an old family recipe. My I have it from my paternal Great-Grandmother Zaccarino; the family called her Grandma Sugar, and called the candy Grandma Sugar's candy.

Technically, it's probably a kind of praline, but I'm convinced Great-Grandmother brought it from Italy and adapted it to ingredients a new immigrant could obtain easily. The recipe is my adaptation from her notes; ingredients are the same, but quantities and methods are more reproducible. If made this way, it is very hard and dry. That's the family tradition, but it isn't very appealing to modern US tastes. Cooking to 250 F instead of 275 renders something much more appealing.

Do you recognize it, or anything similar?

Recipe:
Zaccarini (Grandma Sugar's Candy)

Quantity Unit Ingredient Pre-prep
-------- ---- ---------- --------
350 g Sugar
85 g Cocoa powder
170 g Water
120 g Semi-Sweet Chocolate
340 g Toasted Almonds held at 275° F/ 135° C
3 g Almond Extract

Combine all ingredients except almonds and extract in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly to prevent scorching. Cook to 275° F/ 135° C.

Remove from heat and stir in the almonds and extract. Deposit by spoonfuls on aluminium foil or parchment and allow to set.

2011-12-16 11.50.32.jpg

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

Wonderful Minas. I once had a slab of Gianduja...Callebaut I think it was...and it was all I could do to keep from just eating it off the block. Good for you.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.