• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! What did we make? (2012 – 2014)

Chris Hennes

Hi everyone,

I want to share my two simple hand dipped cube confections. I use valrhonas grand crus and callebaut single origins.

p1030932k.jpg

p1030946rv.jpg

this one ise %40 milk chocolate and hazelnut puree (with no sugar) covered with %32+%40 milk chocolate mixture.

1 unit %40 milk chocolate

1 unit hazelnut puree

p1030938s.jpg

this one ise %40 milk chocolate and almond praline (%50 almond, %50 sugar), covered with %40 milk chocolate and chopped roasted almonds.

1 unit %40 milk chocolate

2 units almond praline (%50 almond, %50 sugar)

1,5 units %40 milk chocolate for covering

chopped roasted almonds

p1030954h.jpg

p1030948eb.jpg

Edited by korhan (log)

Curls - I love you hearts! Especially the white and red!

Korhan - Nice dipped pieces, you look new here, so welcome!

Keychris - I wanted to ask, so this is just a firm caramel? And while the mixture was still hot you deposited into forms?

Glorifiedrice - Thanks for the compliment! Since I was doing blackberry, I intended the color to be much more intense, but the light blue actually looks quite nice with the white! Thanks again!

Curls - those hearts look sooo pretty! So whose passion fruit formula did you like best?

Keychris - both the caramels and the hearts look great! Could you please describe your process for removing the caramels from the flexipan? I have always wanted to try using a square flexipan for caramels, to avoid having to cut them, but I was afraid I'd have trouble removing them neatly from the mould.

minas6907 - beautiful confections! Please come to the workshop in Niagara and do a sugar demo; we'll help you with chocolate!

keychris - wonderful hearts. Planning to try transfers on the bottom of mine too. They look so lovely.

DianaM - I liked Notter's passion fruit formula the best but they were all good.

Something I did yesterday - crème brûlée white chocolate bars. Dried vanilla seends mixed into the white chocolate, with shards of a flattened honeycomb laid along the bar and then capped with the chocolate. As an experiment, I'm pretty pleased with it - I did a bunch in a heart mold too, but those have all 'mysteriously' disappeared in the last 24 hours :)

8462328211_c010b900c8_z.jpg

• Like 1

I just made the cocomel too :smile: I used my own caramel recipe and I used invert I made myself instead of corn syrup for the first time. The result was really soft and creamy caramel that held it's shape. YUM!

cocomels.JPG

JB Chocolatier

www.jbchocolatier.com

Mina, Sure!

1kg of sugar

480ml water

1g lemon juice

Cook it to 236F. Once it reaches temp just take it off the heat and cover until it cool down a bit. I would pour it in it's container before it cools down too much as it is SUPER thick and hard to get at. Just store in the fridge for up to six months. The fridge is just to keep it from crystallizing.

I use 30% less when I am substituting it for corn syrup. Hope that helps!

Jenny

JB Chocolatier

www.jbchocolatier.com

Mina, Sure!

1kg of sugar

480ml water

1g lemon juice

Cook it to 236F. Once it reaches temp just take it off the heat and cover until it cool down a bit. I would pour it in it's container before it cools down too much as it is SUPER thick and hard to get at. Just store in the fridge for up to six months. The fridge is just to keep it from crystallizing.

I use 30% less when I am substituting it for corn syrup. Hope that helps!

Jenny

I made invert sugar with more or less the same recipe (used cream of tartar instead of lemon juice, as recommended by Chef Eddy in his blog) and cooked it to 236F. Mine has crystallized quite a bit in the refrigerator, but I just melt it enough to liquefy it and go ahead and use it. Does yours stay liquid even when chilled? I wonder whether mine is OK to use or whether the crystallization has harmed it in some way. I would guess that the temp rose too far above 236 after I took it off the heat.