• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confections! What did we make? (2012 – 2014)

Chris Hennes

Those marshmallows look really good. I think I might try making a batch, I bet my kids will really like them this winter. Did you add peppermint to the whole recipe, or just the red that you swirled through it?

Those marshmallows look really good. I think I might try making a batch, I bet my kids will really like them this winter. Did you add peppermint to the whole recipe, or just the red that you swirled through it?

I added the peppermint to the marshmallows while they were whipping.

Curls: Thank you! I have no real excuse to make candy at any other time so I go all out at the holidays.

Elaina

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Upcoming Winter Winefest in Niagara - I'm making 64 each of 8 items for 7 wineries and one distillery.

Tonight I packed up all the chocolates, I've got the gin and lime PDF's in the freezer and I have one batch of PDF from a very nice Baco Noir to go.

Remembered to take pictures of two of them.

IMG_0476.jpg

This is a dark chocolate with Foreign Affair's Abbraccio - 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon.

IMG_0478.jpg

This is Cave Spring's 2009 Riesling - punched up with a bit of ginger (actually quite a bit of ginger - should have used a lighter hand). I had a bit of trouble with flaking colour - but with the underlying milk chocolate I think I can get away with it.

The other 4 were a bit more traditionally decorated - figured there should be one colourful one for each of the two tour routes, one PDF each and two simpler items.

Upcoming Winter Winefest in Niagara - I'm making 64 each of 8 items for 7 wineries and one distillery.

Tonight I packed up all the chocolates, I've got the gin and lime PDF's in the freezer and I have one batch of PDF from a very nice Baco Noir to go.

This is a dark chocolate with Foreign Affair's Abbraccio - 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon.

This is Cave Spring's 2009 Riesling - punched up with a bit of ginger (actually quite a bit of ginger - should have used a lighter hand). I had a bit of trouble with flaking colour - but with the underlying milk chocolate I think I can get away with it.

The other 4 were a bit more traditionally decorated - figured there should be one colourful one for each of the two tour routes, one PDF each and two simpler items.

Kerry,

Those are beautiful. I especially love the marble effect on the second ones. When you have a chance, could you let me know what mold you used for the domed chocolates?

Thanks.

Kerry,

Those are beautiful. I especially love the marble effect on the second ones. When you have a chance, could you let me know what mold you used for the domed chocolates?

Thanks.

Chocolate World 2116 - http://www.chocolat-.../p17094990.html

Keychris - can I ask where you got the mold for the 21 or did you make it yourself? I am making my brother-in-law's 60th birthday cake and would love to make a chocolate 60. Thanks for any help - your hearts look amazing!

Ruth

Both look beautiful, and sound delicious! They also belong in the showroom finish thread, they are super shiny.

When you make wine fillings, Kerry, do you use ganache or something else? I know liqueurs also work in fondant fillings, but was wondering about the wines.

Both look beautiful, and sound delicious! They also belong in the showroom finish thread, they are super shiny.

When you make wine fillings, Kerry, do you use ganache or something else? I know liqueurs also work in fondant fillings, but was wondering about the wines.

I use a water ganache with wine in place of the other liquid. aW readings are around 0.8.

I know this isnt the best looking flower, I still have problem consistantly shaping pedals, but anywho, I made this after reading a thread about 'turned sugar' rather then pulled sugar. I had never heard of it, and found hardly any references to it, you pretty much prepare the sugar, cast it into a frame, and score it so it will break into small squares. Then you heat the pieces as you need them, and make what decorations you want, then after a day or so, the piece will crystallize, making it it more resistant to humidity. This flower was just left of some plastic wrap on my bookshelf, after one day, the flower had crystallized, not sticky what so ever. Anyways, I just thought it was interesting. Heres the thread and the only website I found on the subject. Also, the book "Petits Fours, Chocolate, Frozen Desserts, and Sugar Work" has a few pages on it.

http://www.cheftalk.com/t/16256/turned-sugar-sucre-tourne

http://cuisine.journaldesfemmes.com/recette/350331-les-fleurs-en-sucre-tourne

Turned Sugar.jpg

Its raining here in San Diego, so some pate de fruit was my little project today. I just got some apple pectin last week, so I made some jellies using Grewelings formula. I wanted to try out Notters formula, and I really liked how it set up! And the added bonus for me is not having to have an apple puree on hand to make them, as Grewelings recipe states.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

So would you say that you prefer Notter's method to Grewelings? I've always used Grewelings method but like you hated having to prep a bunch of apple puree ahead of time to make them, so if I could cut that step out that would be great! I guess I should play around with it, but I wanted to get your thoughts first :smile:

Its raining here in San Diego, so some pate de fruit was my little project today. I just got some apple pectin last week, so I made some jellies using Grewelings formula. I wanted to try out Notters formula, and I really liked how it set up! And the added bonus for me is not having to have an apple puree on hand to make them, as Grewelings recipe states.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

So would you say that you prefer Notter's method to Grewelings? I've always used Grewelings method but like you hated having to prep a bunch of apple puree ahead of time to make them, so if I could cut that step out that would be great! I guess I should play around with it, but I wanted to get your thoughts first :smile:

That flower is very beautiful. I wish I was brave enough to attempt something like that.

I would say for a certainty that I prefer Notters formula over Grewelings. Though I do like that fact that Grewelings formula is set up that you can just go ahead and use any fruit, Notters seems more straight forward. In Chocolates and Confections, you add the sugar and glucose each twice while cooking, while Notters instructs to mix the pectin with the entire quantity of sugar, boil that with the fruit puree, add glucose, boil, add acid, and your done. Another note, Greweling uses lemon juice as an acid at the end of cooking, and while I do like the taste of lemon and think it definitely enhances the flavor, I tasted the tartaric acid solutions Notter uses, and its incredibly sharp and sour, but mixed into the pate de fruit mixture, I thought it did a very nice job of enhancing the fruit flavors.

All in all, I dont see myself making Grewelings formula anymore, perhaps I would if I actually did have some superpomme (I remember this stuff in the restaurant, it's good!) but since I dont, I really dont want to bother with cooking apples down into a paste just to have one ingredient in a recipe.

Also, thanks for the compliment on the flower!