• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What are you making and baking? (2012–2014)

Chris Hennes

I had to use up a couple of cans of coconut milk and solid pack pumpkin which are necessary for making buchi buchi -- Guam's version of fried pumpkin turnover. I ran out of filling so I opted to use whatever I had on hand -- cream cheese with jam, and ricotta cheese with ham-egg-and-cheddar. I don't know how the cream cheese and ricotta will hold up in the fryer, but I guess I'll see whenever I cook them -- maybe today. The fried pumpkin turnover picture is from a previous batch:

Guam buchi buchi

IMG_8498.jpg

1623749_10202298363012266_756975794_n.jp

Miscellaneous pies -- jam and cream cheese

1545052_10202298363052267_992561565_n.jp

Ricotta with ham, cheddar cheese, and eggs

1690184_10202298362972265_543711461_n.jp

Edited by pquinene (log)
  • Like 4

Ruth – I love the sharp edges on your Christmas cookies (post #391). Do you share the recipe?

Patrick – your desserts are gorgeous! How in the world did you pipe that chocolate cream pie?

Lovely work, y’all!

BBC mini eclairs/cream puffs for a friend’s tea:

Vanilla bean custard and a 10x glaze.

med_gallery_3331_172_145813.jpg

Inside:

med_gallery_3331_172_138012.jpg

These were absolutely delicious, but the eclairs were just too small to fill with custard, so I’ll make only cream puffs from now on.

Jessica’s family birthday celebration – Happy 30th!!! She requested cheesecake:

med_gallery_3331_172_112158.jpg

Served with caramel apple and blueberry lemon toppings.

• Like 4

My son kept asking me to make walnut sandies. After breakfast this morning, I had a couple of them, and remembered why they are so dangerous to have in the house -- it was hard to stop at just a few.

Walnut sandies

sandies.jpg

Edited by pquinene (log)
  • Like 3

Mmm, eclairs! Haven't had one in ages, but I would love one now. Or ten. :)

Passion fruit curd and vanilla bean swiss meringue-filled macs.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

They are so perfect!

image.jpg

Carrot cake. Half will go to my daughter and family and the other half to my son's home. Since nobody cares for icing it is easy-peasy.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

Ruth – I love the sharp edges on your Christmas cookies (post #391). Do you share the recipe?

Kim - the credit for this wonderful shortbread cookie goes to King Arthur Flour. It is their "holiday cutout cookie" recipe that can be found on their site. I just used it to make valentines day cookies and it is a winner every time.

Love all your baking pics! :-)

Ruth

Oh, and if you've got Spanish set as an alternate language in your browser, it will autocorrect Ocoa to Ochoa (the latter is a last name.)

Those are beautiful, Alleguede! I may steal some of your decoration ideas for the upcoming Valentine's cheesecake orgy that is my baking life...

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)