• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What are you making and baking? (2012–2014)

Chris Hennes

The hearts are 2, 4 and 8 servings. The cake is an inaya chocolate mousse with morello compotée and pistachio biscuit.

The red glaze?

18 grs of gold bloom gelatine (soaked)

250 grs of white chocolate (zephyr, satin or ivoire, or ...)

50 grs dark chocolate

10 grs liposoluble red colour (pcb)

200 grs condensed milk

150 grs water

250 grs sugar

350 grs glucose

Soak the gelatine - Boil the water sugar and glucose. - put the gelatine with the condensed milk and colour - Pour the liquid on top - then pour on the chocolates. Hand blend to emulsify. You can strain it. Cover directly on contact (use a plastic tall and narrow container safe for microwave) Let sit overnight if possible. Use at 35c (33-37c depending on the thickness you want and stuff. 90 s in microwave should get you close). You can replace the color by any other, or the chocolate by any other but stay always in these proportions.

• Like 2

The hearts are 2, 4 and 8 servings. The cake is an inaya chocolate mousse with morello compotée and pistachio biscuit.

The red glaze?

18 grs of gold bloom gelatine (soaked)

250 grs of white chocolate (zephyr, satin or ivoire, or ...)

50 grs dark chocolate

10 grs liposoluble red colour (pcb)

200 grs condensed milk

150 grs water

250 grs sugar

350 grs glucose

Soak the gelatine - Boil the water sugar and glucose. - put the gelatine with the condensed milk and colour - Pour the liquid on top - then pour on the chocolates. Hand blend to emulsify. You can strain it. Cover directly on contact (use a plastic tall and narrow container safe for microwave) Let sit overnight if possible. Use at 35c (33-37c depending on the thickness you want and stuff. 90 s in microwave should get you close). You can replace the color by any other, or the chocolate by any other but stay always in these proportions.

Thanks for the recipe, I've been looking for a decent coloured glaze. When you boil the sugar and the water, do you take it up to a specific °C, or just to dissolve the sugar?

It looks great.

Chocolate Fig cake from William Curley's book 'Couture Chocolate'. The cake has a mousse like texture almost and contains chopped figs that have been soaked overnight in a spiced red wine syrup. The recipes garnishes the mini loaves with hazelnuts but I only had pecans.

The recipe seemed complicated but the result was good.

fig loaves cut fin.jpg

• Like 3

I got to tast

For valentines day... A little bit of love...

They all look beautiful, and I bet they taste fantastic. I would have been very happy to receive any of those for V-day. :)

I got to taste small versions of two of them - they were excellent! The man knows how to combine appearance and flavour - a rare combination in pastries I find.

• Like 1

I got to taste small versions of two of them - they were excellent! The man knows how to combine appearance and flavour - a rare combination in pastries I find.

Ok, I am jealous now. :) I really want to visit Alleguede's shop soon. As soon as the weather lets up, Son and I will take a day trip to TO - looking forward to that!

Those Valentine desserts look amazing! My birthday cake this year - I usually have some kind of chocolate cake in a heart-shaped pan (bday is 2/14) but this year I decided to do something different. This recipe was from Food & Wine and was for a triple chocolate truffle cake. Six layers of a thin brownie-like cake sandwiched in between white chocolate and dark chocolate ganache and the whole thing covered with chocolate buttercream. I have to say, even for the most ardent chocoholics, this cake was a little too rich. But it was better out of the fridge the next day! (pic of outside and inside)

Thanks for looking,
Ruth

bday cake.jpg

bday cake1.jpg

• Like 3

I always make my own birthday cake and I think this year it might just be rajoress's pick. Found it on Google. Wonderful cake! Will add some Grand Marnier to one of the fillings. Might sub something for the white chocolate...don't know. Thanks Rajoress.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Asked to bring a dessert, but the host doesn't like chocolate, coffee, or much else.

Banana cream pie it is :)

Banana pie.jpg

Pâte sucrée shell

Banana crémeux

Banana bread

Dulce de leche

Vanilla chantilly

Caramelized/raw coconut

You can find the recipe for the first two components here (just sub the squash for banana), and I took the banana bread from Lesley C here.

Hopefully it'll go down well.

• Like 4

Asked to bring a dessert, but the host doesn't like chocolate, coffee, or much else.

Banana cream pie it is :)

attachicon.gifBanana pie.jpg

Pâte sucrée shell

Banana crémeux

Banana bread

Dulce de leche

Vanilla chantilly

Caramelized/raw coconut

You can find the recipe for the first two components here (just sub the squash for banana), and I took the banana bread from Lesley C here.

Hopefully it'll go down well.

That looks great! Coconut makes many things delish too!!

I was thinking "that looks great but I don't want coconut on my banana cream pie". But that doesn't change the fact that it does indeed look and sound tasty... or the fact that it's not my banana cream pie. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I was thinking "that looks great but I don't want coconut on my banana cream pie". But that doesn't change the fact that it does indeed look and sound tasty... or the fact that it's not my banana cream pie. :biggrin:

Thanks. I had the caramelized coconut hanging around from a failed marshmallow experiment, and thought it would work. It makes a nice textural addition and the coconut flavor works well with the banana. All that it needed was a little rum :)

It also reminds me of the little coconut covered teacakes we used to have in the UK.

Coconut really does go well with bananas. I made a coconut banana cream pudding using freshly grated coconut -- it was out-of-this-world! It's a bit hard to tell in the pic below, but I added the coconut to the pudding mixture.

Coconut Banana Cream Pudding

IMG_9008_2.jpg

Edited by pquinene (log)
  • Like 2

The pithivier I baked yesterday was so delish. I used the recipe in Jacques Torres's book, Dessert Circus. My only problem is that the almond cream deflated. Any tips on how to prevent this? At any rate, it was still awesome!

whole_pithivier-2.jpg

open_pith-2.jpg

1_slc_pith-2_1.jpg

Edited by pquinene (log)
  • Like 2

Coconut really does go well with bananas.

Yes it does. I definitely wasn't knocking anything about that pie. It looks awesome (his work always does) and I have no doubt it tastes awesome as well. The fault in what I said belongs entirely to me, I'm kinda picky when it comes to coconut. I like the flavor but I'm not a big fan of the texture in creamy settings. Entirely my weirdness, not a commentary on whether or not it should be used. :smile:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Yes it does. I definitely wasn't knocking anything about that pie. It looks awesome (his work always does) and I have no doubt it tastes awesome as well. The fault in what I said belongs entirely to me, I'm kinda picky when it comes to coconut. I like the flavor but I'm not a big fan of the texture in creamy settings. Entirely my weirdness, not a commentary on whether or not it should be used. :smile:

Haha, thanks for the compliment. I know what you mean, there are things that I see other people doing and have to prevent myself from saying anything about.

I recommend trying caramelized coconut though, the texture is completely different. If you want, I'll PM you the recipe I use.

The pithivier I baked yesterday was so delish. I used the recipe in Jacques Torres's book, Dessert Circus. My only problem is that the almond cream deflated. Any tips on how to prevent this? At any rate, it was still awesome!

Your desserts look great! For the almond cream, it may depend on your recipe. Are you doing the typical 1:1:1:1 almond:butter:sugar:egg ratio? One of the problems may be overbeating it. It doesn't have any flour to hold the shape, so it can collapse very easily.

For pithiviers and galettes des rois, I normally take the almond cream and mix it with an equal weight of pastry cream. It's much less dense and it stays moist and creamy.

Also, to avoid the pithivier puffing up like that, you can use a fork and dock it all over. I used to do that for the galettes, you seriously puncture each one then let it chill overnight and they tend to stay flat during baking.

Oh no, no, no...I didn't interpret it as anything negative. I just wanted to share the love of coconut.....I love coconut :-)

Your desserts look great! For the almond cream, it may depend on your recipe. Are you doing the typical 1:1:1:1 almond:butter:sugar:egg ratio? One of the problems may be overbeating it. It doesn't have any flour to hold the shape, so it can collapse very easily.

For pithiviers and galettes des rois, I normally take the almond cream and mix it with an equal weight of pastry cream. It's much less dense and it stays moist and creamy.

Also, to avoid the pithivier puffing up like that, you can use a fork and dock it all over. I used to do that for the galettes, you seriously puncture each one then let it chill overnight and they tend to stay flat during baking.

Thank you so much for the tips! I'll puncture the top next time. At any rate, it was so delicious and was gone by the evening!

I know what you mean, there are things that I see other people doing and have to prevent myself from saying anything about.

That's probably something I should adopt. "It looks and sounds awesome" was sufficient without further embellishment.

I recommend trying caramelized coconut though, the texture is completely different. If you want, I'll PM you the recipe I use.

I'd love to see it.