• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Chris Hennes

Your Daily Sweets: What are you making and baking? (2012–2014)

572 posts in this topic

Thank you for reminding me of her! :) I want to try making branches for Easter. Some people use freezing-cold alcohol as she uses the ice water, maybe I'll try both to see which gives better results.

Pumpkin pie (for people that don't like pumpkin pie).

I'm sure the traditional is a great dessert with lots of history, but it's stodgy and heavy and will always remain in pecan pie's shade.

Here's mine: pâte sucrée, a butternut squash crémeux and spiced golden syrup meringue. It's nice to grate some spices onto the meringue before torching it, it amplifies the aroma. I used tonka, cinnamon and nutmeg.

I just saw this and it looks amazing. Any chance I could get a recipe, please? :)

For Burns night, a slightly updated Cranachan.

Cranachan.jpg

From top to bottom:

Oatmeal tuiles

Whisky mini babas

Honey glaze

Honey vanilla Chantilly

Raspberry crémeux

Whisky-soaked genoise

Flapjack

Oatmeal milk chocolate crunch.

Cranachan cut.jpg

Goes down nicely with a dram :)

5 people like this

Pumpkin pie (for people that don't like pumpkin pie).

I'm sure the traditional is a great dessert with lots of history, but it's stodgy and heavy and will always remain in pecan pie's shade.

Here's mine: pâte sucrée, a butternut squash crémeux and spiced golden syrup meringue. It's nice to grate some spices onto the meringue before torching it, it amplifies the aroma. I used tonka, cinnamon and nutmeg.

I just saw this and it looks amazing. Any chance I could get a recipe, please? :)

Thanks, I'll put it up on recipegullet when I get the chance.

1 person likes this

For Burns night, a slightly updated Cranachan...

Yikes ! I want some.

1 person likes this

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

attachicon.gifCranachan.jpg

From top to bottom:

Oatmeal tuiles

Whisky mini babas

Honey glaze

Honey vanilla Chantilly

Raspberry crémeux

Whisky-soaked genoise

Flapjack

attachicon.gifCranachan cut.jpg

You are extremely talented. I saw your pumpkin pie recipe, WOW!

attachicon.gifCranachan.jpg

From top to bottom:

Oatmeal tuiles

Whisky mini babas

Honey glaze

Honey vanilla Chantilly

Raspberry crémeux

Whisky-soaked genoise

Flapjack

attachicon.gifCranachan cut.jpg

You are extremely talented. I saw your pumpkin pie recipe, WOW!

Thanks, you're very kind. I love doing the more elaborate entremets and preparations. Especially when serving specialties like haggis to non-British diners, you really need something memorable for dessert :)

Jmacnaughtan, what's the "flapjack" layer? I've only ever heard the word in its American context, as a pancake, and that sure don't look like a doughy pancake to me!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I love doing the more elaborate entremets and preparations. Especially when serving specialties like haggis to non-British diners, you really need something memorable for dessert :)

Did you not once make a V8 entremet with 8 different layers featuring vanilla? Either way, this one looks fantastic as well. Can you recommend a good book focusing on entremets? I noticed you sometimes reference Philippe Conticini's Sensations.

Jmacnaughtan, what's the "flapjack" layer? I've only ever heard the word in its American context, as a pancake, and that sure don't look like a doughy pancake to me!

Interesting, I thought this sort of flapjack was an American invention. It's just a very simple oat cookie made from rolled oats, golden syrup, butter and muscovado sugar. This is the first time I've used it as anything other than a petit four, though. Here's a recipe that's not too far off the one I used.

I love doing the more elaborate entremets and preparations. Especially when serving specialties like haggis to non-British diners, you really need something memorable for dessert :)

Did you not once make a V8 entremet with 8 different layers featuring vanilla? Either way, this one looks fantastic as well. Can you recommend a good book focusing on entremets? I noticed you sometimes reference Philippe Conticini's Sensations.

Haha, yes, that was a challenge. I saw that on Masterchef Australia and had to try it... For books with good entremet techniques and recipes, I like Francisco Migoya's "the Modern Café" and "Elements of Dessert" (although I find several of his recipes flawed, the technique is good), and Conticini's "Sensations" is a wonderful book. So many great techniques, flavors and preparations. I think it's only available in French, though. There are a couple of good entremets in Adriano Zumbo's "Zumbo", including the V8, but I'm not convinced it's worth shelling out 30€ for.

I find that entremets are technically easier than many "home-cooking" layer cakes. If you have a couple of metal cake rings, a freezer and a few basic recipes to adapt, it's feasible to make a professional looking cake at home. I know I'll never have the technical skill to pull off a perfect buttercream-coated cake, my spatula skills are just too weak.

Interesting, I thought this sort of flapjack was an American invention. It's just a very simple oat cookie made from rolled oats, golden syrup, butter and muscovado sugar. This is the first time I've used it as anything other than a petit four, though. Here's a recipe that's not too far off the one I used.

I'm with judiu – the only thing I've ever heard "flapjack" used to describe is a pancake (I'm Canadian, but I've heard Americans refer to them as such). That recipe sounds good tho!

1 person likes this

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

If you say "flapjack" in the UK - maybe in commonwealth countries - you mean the same sweet caramelly oat bars that jmacnaughton's talking about. They're pretty good - you can bake to anywhere between crunchy like Nature's Valley bars, to soft and chewy.

1 person likes this

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Chocolate Espresso Torte !

Looks great- what's the veil you've put over it? Is it white chocolate?

jmacnaughtan,

Its a White Chocolate Plastic the I spray it with a chocolate cocoa butter mix. Thank you !

I had to use up a couple of cans of coconut milk and solid pack pumpkin which are necessary for making buchi buchi -- Guam's version of fried pumpkin turnover. I ran out of filling so I opted to use whatever I had on hand -- cream cheese with jam, and ricotta cheese with ham-egg-and-cheddar. I don't know how the cream cheese and ricotta will hold up in the fryer, but I guess I'll see whenever I cook them -- maybe today. The fried pumpkin turnover picture is from a previous batch:

Guam buchi buchi

IMG_8498.jpg

1623749_10202298363012266_756975794_n.jp

Miscellaneous pies -- jam and cream cheese

1545052_10202298363052267_992561565_n.jp

Ricotta with ham, cheddar cheese, and eggs

1690184_10202298362972265_543711461_n.jp

Edited by pquinene (log)
4 people like this

Ruth – I love the sharp edges on your Christmas cookies (post #391). Do you share the recipe?

Patrick – your desserts are gorgeous! How in the world did you pipe that chocolate cream pie?

Lovely work, y’all!

BBC mini eclairs/cream puffs for a friend’s tea:

Vanilla bean custard and a 10x glaze.

med_gallery_3331_172_145813.jpg

Inside:

med_gallery_3331_172_138012.jpg

These were absolutely delicious, but the eclairs were just too small to fill with custard, so I’ll make only cream puffs from now on.

Jessica’s family birthday celebration – Happy 30th!!! She requested cheesecake:

med_gallery_3331_172_112158.jpg

Served with caramel apple and blueberry lemon toppings.

4 people like this

Kim,

Thank you, I use a st honore tip.. Every pie is similar but different, I pipe 2 lines of whipped cream then 2 or 3 of chocolate whipped cream.

Patrick

Kim, I read a hint in a church cookbook just today, if you dip your cookie cutter in warm oil, it will cut sharper lines!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Mmm, eclairs! Haven't had one in ages, but I would love one now. Or ten. :)

Passion fruit curd and vanilla bean swiss meringue-filled macs.

image.jpg

7 people like this

image.jpg

Carrot cake. Half will go to my daughter and family and the other half to my son's home. Since nobody cares for icing it is easy-peasy.

4 people like this

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog