• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Chris Hennes

Your Daily Sweets: What are you making and baking? (2012–2014)

572 posts in this topic

Cake. I beat the eggs in so hard it's almost like an omelette - moist, wobbling & expectant. Which means... yes, I bought an electric mixing tool. Handheld, but 350W. 350 !

2013-11-26%2022.34.58.jpg

Thanks for the recipe.

Edited by flourgirl (log)
2 people like this

FrogPrincesse, your rustic apple tart looks very tasty and simple to make. Carole

Carole Grogloth Molokai Hawaii

First Bûche de Noël of the year.

Bûche 1.jpg Bûche 1 section.jpg

Pain d'épices, lemon confit, pineapple crémeux and vanilla mousse, with a white chocolate glaze, spiced meringue kisses and white chocolate. It works pretty well.

7 people like this

Yum.

like the little present !

Awesome job, guys! I haven't made mine yet.

Hey, what size are the molds ya'll are using? I'd like to upgrade because mine look a little homely/old fashioned. Not that that's a bad thing but it's good to have something new to add to the repertoire every now and then.

Jmac, what is the white glaze on the outside of yours? It looks too shiny to be a ganache. Can you share how you made that?

Thanks. I'm using a 35cm x 8cm gutter mould, in aluminium.

The glaze is the white glaze from Philippe Conticini's "Sensations", based on sugar, glucose, condensed milk, white chocolate and gelatin.. If you want the recipe, IM me.

Two more bûches, one hit and one miss.

The miss:

Bûche 2.jpg

Almond dacquoise,

Apricot confit,

Milk chocolate mousse,

Praliné crémeux,

Dark chocolate glaze,

Milk chocolate.

The hit:

Bûche 3.jpg

Almond financier,

Lemon confit,

Whipped lemon curd,

Vanilla mousse,

White chocolate glaze,

White chocolate.

1 person likes this

jmacnaughtan, why was the first bouche considered a "miss"? It looks beautiful to me.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Thanks judiu. It looks fine, but the dacquoise didn't hold up its end of the deal- it was supposed to provide a little texture, but almost disintegrated into the confit. I should have coated it with chocolate...

Also, the confit was off-puttingly tart and the milk chocolate mousse was a little soft. Back to the drawing board...

Hmmm, maybe a bit more sweetening in the dacquoise, and a glaze over to "waterproof" it, annd a sweet liqueur in the confit? Just thinkin'. HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

The chocolate ice cream from Fergus Henderson's second book, Beyond Nose to Tail. I have made some modifications to the recipe--I include a little bit of chilli and cinnamon--but keep the base the same. It's very good. Tastes like, well, chocolate.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Everything looks amazing! Here's my latest - a friend needed to bring decorated cookies to a party and couldn't find them at any bakery. Just the excuse I needed to bake! Thanks for looking and happy holidays!

Ruth

xmas cookies 1.jpg

5 people like this

image.jpg

Butter tart squares for somebody who likes the filling to pastry ratio reversed!

4 people like this

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

rajoress

how you did these cookies so well ill never know

the best was this :

RRR.jpg

cheers !

3 people like this

Those are gorgeous Patrick!

It's pudding day for me -

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

Steamed cranberry pudding with a butter, cream and sugar sauce.

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

Lord Randall's Pudding from The Pudding Club Book. Apricots and marmalade - looks like it all sunk to the bottom making the pudding's extrication from the basin a bit messy - but it's a damn fine pudding. Made a sauce with butter, brown sugar, cream and rum.

3 people like this

Lemon tart. I used Keller's recipe for lemon sabayon, although I included a couple dashes of Scrappy's cardamom bitters, a handful of freshly picked kaffir lime leaves (removed as I poured the sabayon into the tart casing) and messed around with his ratio for lemon and sugar (he goes for 0.5 c lemon juice to 0.75 c sugar: I invert this and add an extra whole egg to compensate for the extra liquid). I think the original recipe, like many American baking recipes I've tried, is just too sweet. I like lemon tarts that possess the sour quality of lemon.

I didn't use his pastry recipe, either. I turned to David Everitt-Matthias' Dessert for that. It includes a little bit of almond meal (540 g flour to 100 g almond meal) and vanilla extract. I took his advice and use demerara sugar in place of regular confectioner's sugar because I really like the flavour of demerara.

EDIT

It'd be nice if I attached the photo, hey?

lemontart_zps927e8e4c.png

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)
5 people like this

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Made these for Christmas to give to friends. And I made Hermé's Black Forest cake from the chocolate book, for Christmas dinner. Didn't get a pic of the cake though, people demolished it (in the good sense :)) before I had had a chance to.

image.jpg

Edited by DianaM (log)
7 people like this