• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Chris Hennes

Your Daily Sweets: What are you making and baking? (2012–2014)

572 posts in this topic

Jerry, that cake looks amazing! Especially the side view.

1 person likes this

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Emmalish - does that gingerbread recipe stand up to use in gingerbread housing? I've been looking for a good recipe for that lately - mine makes amazing ginger snaps, but for the slightly springier texture that a house requires it's not ideal….

1 person likes this

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Panaderia, I've never tried it in a house, sorry. And I don't have experience with making gingerbread houses, so I don't know what kind of texture you're looking for. Why don't you give it a shot with some regular cookie shapes and see what you think?

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Will do - and I can't believe you've never made a gingerbread house! They're so much fun…. I will give it a shot and report back.

The last one I made, I spent hours working on. Many hours in the very early morning/late night because it was a surprise for my gf's daughter. I built a huge castle with a detailed grounds and everything. I got up very early Christmas morning and got it all set up, it covered most of the dining room table. About 5 minutes before she got to see it, while we were in the living room waiting for her to wake up, her cat decided it would be a fun place to explore and did a large amount of damage. I wasn't impressed... but what can you do besides laugh? :biggrin:

2 people like this

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

IMG_0936.jpg

Every Christmas mold in the house now has eyes. And some frog and fish molds - they seemed kinda Christmasy to me!

The 3 kg mold'art has white chocolate in it overnight and I'll fire up the Selmi with about 30 kg of milk tomorrow.

And so it begins!

IMG_0937.jpg

Left over 'eye chocolate' with crushed Trader Joe's Meyer Lemon thins and a sprinkling of citron salt. Which is a pretty tasty combination.

6 people like this

Kerry, is the little metal cat in the left front a mold, or just a figurine? It's (G-d, I hate this word, but it works here...) precious!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Another one from Philippe Conticini: Pineapple Cheesecake.

Biscuit "cheesecake" (pâte sablée crushed, mixed with butter and muscovado sugar and rebaked), cream cheese mousse, a pineapple insert and a white vanilla glaze.

Cheesecake ananas.jpg

The original is encased in a tall tart shell, but apparently I can't follow instructions, so it collapsed in the oven. This one is put together like a traditional entremet.

Pretty tasty, but the pineapple overwhelms the mousse a little.

2 people like this

Nanaimo bars - playing around with new flavours. Clockwise from top left: Peanut Butter, Mint, Orange, White Chocolate. Mint and Peanut were "classic" flavours in Alberta when I was growing up; the other two are me playing around. The Orange ones are quite frankly fantastic.

CanBars.jpg

4 people like this

PanCan, do you get meyer lemons there? I LOVE the lemon-dark chocolate combo...

1 person likes this

I have a tree in my front yard, Judiu! Lemon-dark is on the list of flavours to try, as is coffee and cocoa nib, cashew (did I mention I can get cashew butter?!?), and probably cherry-amaretto.

EDIT - and PM me if you want the recipe and method I use for these things. They're dead easy to make and I'd wager you've got most if not all of the ingredients hanging about in the pantry.

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

Cake. I beat the eggs in so hard it's almost like an omelette - moist, wobbling & expectant. Which means... yes, I bought an electric mixing tool. Handheld, but 350W. 350 !

2013-11-26%2022.34.58.jpg

6 people like this

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Adorable - but is that a rabbit with a squirrel tail or are Canadian squirrels endowed with big ears?

1 person likes this

Cake. I beat the eggs in so hard it's almost like an omelette - moist, wobbling & expectant. Which means... yes, I bought an electric mixing tool. Handheld, but 350W. 350 !

2013-11-26%2022.34.58.jpg

Blether, you must tell this non-baker more about both the cake and the handheld mixer. Please?

2 people like this

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Adorable - but is that a rabbit with a squirrel tail or are Canadian squirrels endowed with big ears?

Our squirrels are definitely larger than small red squirrels - and do have bigger ears. Although I suspect this mold was produced in Belgium or Holland. More of a prototypical squirrel than an actual one!

Our squirrels are definitely larger than small red squirrels - and do have bigger ears. Although I suspect this mold was produced in Belgium or Holland. More of a prototypical squirrel than an actual one!

Um, Kerry, I hate to say it, but that's an Easter Bunny, not a squirrel. Just sayin'.

1 person likes this

Soooooooooooo

Bunnies like Nuts?

North of the Border?

Um, Kerry, I hate to say it, but that's an Easter Bunny, not a squirrel. Just sayin'.

That would be one hell of a tail for a bunny - but funny you should say that - I looked carefully at his nut to make sure it wasn't an egg and that I was making an easter mold out of season.

Check out this guy.

2 people like this

might be a Photoshop'd Rat. Northern versions'

1 person likes this

Thanks, Kerry. I like the clean detail on your chocolates.

Anna & Ann - it's a Nigel Slater recipe, "Demerara Lemon Cake". I copied it from the newspaper years ago, but it can be found online easily enough - straight from the horse's mouth, even. It can be a fuss sourcing demerara sugar round here - I used san-on-to which is more-or-less soft brown sugar. It's a cake with lots going on - there's lemon zest in the batter, the lemon slices on top are briefly confit'd in sugar & water before being baked in place, and you pour a syrup of sugar & lemon juice over the top while it's still warm. It's very rich - near half-a-pound of butter, four eggs, to three ounces each of almond powder and flour - but the lemon juice cuts it nicely and there's the bitterness in the topping to keep you engaged, too.

The mixer's a Tefal. Only its second outing (I blooded it on a taramasalata), but so far it doesn't change its tone no matter how heavy the going gets. This one here - comes with beaters and dough hooks. Anna, you probably know that the electric mixer takes the hard work out of creaming the butter & sugar well to get air in the mix, likewise the eggs.

Edited by Blether (log)
2 people like this

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

it's not really a sweet (yet)... but what am I going to do with these:

1441349_408579932603220_449649324_n.jpg

I can't decide!

2 people like this