• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What are you making and baking? (2012–2014)

Chris Hennes

Thank you so much :).  I've worked in pastry for a long time, but have just started getting serious with gum paste flowers.  That's my third peony.  I like the way it came out.  

That's only your THIRD?? Wow. It's gorgeous!

• Like 1

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

I had some leftover, runny orange/balsamico caramel bonbon filling, begging for a project, so it got married to some dark chocolate and raspberry vinegar to form a ganache of sorts, and 'hey, presto': Raspberry/orange macarons. I've yet to master the slippery little chaps, but the flavour is outstanding - won't last long around here

macaron.jpg

• Like 2

RWood Happy Birthday!  That cake is gorgeous!  Just exactly what I’d make for myself if I had your skills!

Paula – what a beautiful macaron!  And the flavor combination is one of my very favorites.  I’d give a LOT to be able to taste one.

I tried out emmalish’s chocolate snaps recipe this week.  I’m making cookies for an Episcopal Church Woman’s board meeting that our church is hosting in May.  I wanted a recipe that made lots of cookies and could be frozen:

med_gallery_3331_119_127450.jpg

I took them to this week’s ECW meeting.  Everyone loved them.  They are thin and full of chocolate flavor and very ‘snappy’.  I’ve got some in the freezer now to see how they do, but I imagine they will work fine.

• Like 6

RWood Happy Birthday!  That cake is gorgeous!  Just exactly what I’d make for myself if I had your skills!

Paula – what a beautiful macaron!  And the flavor combination is one of my very favorites.  I’d give a LOT to be able to taste one.

I tried out emmalish’s chocolate snaps recipe this week.  I’m making cookies for an Episcopal Church Woman’s board meeting that our church is hosting in May.  I wanted a recipe that made lots of cookies and could be frozen:

med_gallery_3331_119_127450.jpg

I took them to this week’s ECW meeting.  Everyone loved them.  They are thin and full of chocolate flavor and very ‘snappy’.  I’ve got some in the freezer now to see how they do, but I imagine they will work fine.

Thank you Kim :)

• Like 1

On Guam, there are many bakeries to buy pies from. But when you see this cheese pie at a party, it's a red flag that it's homemade and you better get a slice ASAP! Some folks also make a cherry flavor. I've apparently been on a macaron roll. I made mint chocolate ganache to go with green macarons. I only use French meringue to make macarons and they have turned out perfect every time.

BLUEBERRY CHEESE PIE

sliced_blueberry_cheese_pie.jpg

MINT CHOCOLATE FRENCH MACARONS

mint_chocolate_macarons.jpg

Edited by pquinene (log)
  • Like 4

image.jpg

These were a command performance (all ingedients supplied). They are gluten-free and everything organic blueberry muffins. For something supposedly all-natural they have a rather nasty chemical aftertaste! Oh well they suited the one who asked for them.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

You know what they say... the customer is always right ;)

Absolutely. The recipe (which was also supplied) called for 1 Tablespoon of cinnamon. Suspect that is the culprit! Without that I think they might be quite edible. Might make them again minus the cinnamon just to satisfy my curiosity.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Absolutely. The recipe (which was also supplied) called for 1 Tablespoon of cinnamon. Suspect that is the culprit! Without that I think they might be quite edible. Might make them again minus the cinnamon just to satisfy my curiosity.

One man's heathy - another man's poison!

Is that recipe for a standard dozen muffins? That's a LOT of cinnamon!

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Is that recipe for a standard dozen muffins? That's a LOT of cinnamon!

Yes it is. And yes it is!

[Moderator note: This topic continues here, Your Daily Sweets: What are you making and baking (2014–)]

Edited by Mjx
Host note added. (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog