• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What are you making and baking? (2012–2014)

Chris Hennes

Hi chopperreed, would you mind telling me where did you get those boxes from? I am planning to give away macarons on my daughter's birthday and I couldn't find a transparent one like yours online! This is my other option though:

tumblr_n29g4v7j4P1qzzyclo1_500.jpg

image source: packqueen.com.au

I am not too sure about it yet but the presentation of your macarons is what I am trying to aim for. My daughter's birthday is a couple of months from now and I hope you can help!!

i actually bought the case from kmart, its not made for macarons but i made them fit and had to custom cut it a bit, i would recommend that box rectangular box its much better.  If you need help making them do not hesitate to ask!

• Like 1

emmalish – I love the orange coconut cookies!  They are going in my ‘to try’ file.  Most all of the cookies in that file are from you!  I’ve got a big regional church ladies’ meeting that I have to make cookies for in May, so I’ll be testing out the chocolate snaps since the recipe makes so many.  Do you think that they would freeze well?

Made Coca-cola cake with coconut cream filling for a church potluck lunch yesterday.  I missed getting a shot of the whole cake and it’s too bad, because it was really attractive, for me!

med_gallery_3331_119_54601.jpg

This is the chocolate cake that the folks I used to work with called "That Cake".  When they requested "That Cake", I knew they meant the Coca-cola one!  People were scrambling to take some home!

• Like 6

emmalish – I love the orange coconut cookies!  They are going in my ‘to try’ file.  Most all of the cookies in that file are from you!  I’ve got a big regional church ladies’ meeting that I have to make cookies for in May, so I’ll be testing out the chocolate snaps since the recipe makes so many.  Do you think that they would freeze well?

Thanks Kim! I'm sure they'd freeze fine, but you could also freeze the dough and then bake them up later.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Okay, this week a friend of mine asked me (twisted my arm / insisted / bullied me) to make some of those cookie shot glasses that have been making the news in the past couple weeks. It never would have even occurred to me to try them otherwise. But I love a challenge... (link)

cookie-shot-glasses-7606.jpg

I also made these roll-out chocolate chip cookies using the same recipe...

roll-out-chocolate-chip-cookies-7644.jpg

• Like 5

wanna come with?

DH just arrived home for lunch and I was telling him about the shot glass cookies and milk .  His first response was 'Panama Jack'. :biggrin:

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

DH just arrived home for lunch and I was telling him about the shot glass cookies and milk .  His first response was 'Panama Jack'. :biggrin:

Mmmm, chocolate cookie shot glass, lined with dark chocolate, filled with Irish Cream.  :wub:

wanna come with?

Amazing. I want to run home from work to try them right now. I'm wondering if they'd work in the Thomas Keller Bouchon mold (because I have one). The size is about right, but it's a silicone mold, not sure if that would effect it. Worth a shot. (No pun intended.) Thanks for sharing your recipe and method. (You can give Dominique Ansel a run for his money.)

Amazing. I want to run home from work to try them right now. I'm wondering if they'd work in the Thomas Keller Bouchon mold (because I have one). The size is about right, but it's a silicone mold, not sure if that would effect it. Worth a shot. (No pun intended.) Thanks for sharing your recipe and method. (You can give Dominique Ansel a run for his money.)

I'm sure they'd bake up fine in a silicone mould, but it might be a bit tricky to press the pieces of dough together in a flexible mould. Worth a shot! 

wanna come with?

Another birthday making my own cake :).  

Chocolate chiffon with pecan cinnamon dacquoise, caramel butter cream and chocolate ganache.  

I covered it with chocolate fondant and the lace is made with Sugar Dress.  It gave me an opportunity to try out the Sugar Dress.  I haven't had anything to use it on yet.

The peony is made from gum paste, and dusted with several shades of orange petal dust and edged with super gold luster dust.

bdaycake.jpg

orangepeony.jpg

• Like 12

Well, RWood, you basically made a birthday cake for me--all my favorites: choc chiffon, caramel, cinnamon, pecan, even my favorite flower. Beautiful.

You have very good taste  :biggrin:

• Like 1

Chocolate chiffon with pecan cinnamon dacquoise, caramel butter cream and chocolate ganache.  

I covered it with chocolate fondant and the lace is made with Sugar Dress.  It gave me an opportunity to try out the Sugar Dress.  I haven't had anything to use it on yet.

The peony is made from gum paste, and dusted with several shades of orange petal dust and edged with super gold luster dust.

That is beautiful!!!

• Like 1

Stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS!!

I'm sure they'd bake up fine in a silicone mould, but it might be a bit tricky to press the pieces of dough together in a flexible mould. Worth a shot! 

I know they sell silicone ice trays to make ice shot glasses. I wonder if the silicone trays would be oven safe? It'd be easy to make with cookie dough using these trays, assuming they'd easily release after baking. Just a thought... :wink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I know they sell silicone ice trays to make ice shot glasses. I wonder if the silicone trays would be oven safe? It'd be easy to make with cookie dough using these trays, assuming they'd easily release after baking. Just a thought... :wink:

I was thinking of those too. But wouldn't it be tricky to stuff the cookie dough down into the mould? Keeping in mind the silicone is flexible? You'd have to start with a much softer cookie dough. Certainly worth checking out if anyone has one of the moulds!

wanna come with?

i actually bought the case from kmart, its not made for macarons but i made them fit and had to custom cut it a bit, i would recommend that box rectangular box its much better.  If you need help making them do not hesitate to ask!

Thank you so much for your help! I think I'm going to go with the rectangular box too because it's more convenient :) Thanks again for the recommendation!!

image.jpg

Two loaves of banana bread--one for each off-spring household situated nearby.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Two loaves of banana bread--one for each off-spring household situated nearby.

Banana bread is one of my comfort foods. I never turn it down. I baked a loaf of peanut butter banana bread yesterday. I love the p.b. and banana combination so it seemed like a good idea. Didn't turn out as good as I hoped though. Great texture but for some reason the p.b. seems a bit muted and the bananas I had weren't flavorful enough to make a strong showing either. Something to work on I suppose.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Banana bread is one of my comfort foods. I never turn it down. I baked a loaf of peanut butter banana bread yesterday. I love the p.b. and banana combination so it seemed like a good idea. Didn't turn out as good as I hoped though. Great texture but for some reason the p.b. seems a bit muted and the bananas I had weren't flavorful enough to make a strong showing either. Something to work on I suppose.

Not being a baker it's one of the few things I can make and not screw up. I have settled on a Martha Stewart recipe that calls for 1/2 cup of sour cream and I skip the walnuts. If I were to make it for my own consumption those walnuts would be right in there. Somehow can't bring myself to deviate much from plain old banana bread.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I finally got around to making macarons and trying a new filling -- coconut, strawberry, and cream cheese. When tasting out of the mixing bowl, the filling was okay. However, once the macs aged in the fridge overnight, omg, it's a wonderful combination!

COCONUT, STRAWBERRY N CREAM FILLING

1184862_10202612526746163_1308911467_n.j

Edited by pquinene (log)
  • Like 3

RWood,

The cake is gorgeous with the chocolate fondant, the Sugar Dress lace is very elegant, but the peony is out of this world.  Nice work.

Carole Grogloth, Hawaii

• Like 1

Carole Grogloth Molokai Hawaii

RWood,

The cake is gorgeous with the chocolate fondant, the Sugar Dress lace is very elegant, but the peony is out of this world.  Nice work.

Carole Grogloth, Hawaii

Thank you so much :).  I've worked in pastry for a long time, but have just started getting serious with gum paste flowers.  That's my third peony.  I like the way it came out.  

• Like 1