• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What are you making and baking? (2012–2014)

Chris Hennes

Chocolate Cream Pie !

This is a gorgeous rendition of a pie!!!

Today I made a couple of couronne des rois then a galette (thanks FrogPrincess!), tomorrow I'll bake 3 more

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

WOW! Both are beautiful and I'd love me some pithivier!!!

I'm still aiming to bake at least one thing each week, but I'm WAY behind on updating things on my website. Here are a few that I've managed to upload...

Back in November, I made these chocolate-ginger cookies. I was hoping for a really chocolate-y cookie with a punch of ginger, but they're more like ginger cookies with a bit of chocolate. Still a good cookie, just not what I was hoping for when I chose it.

attachicon.gifchocolate-ginger-cookies-6474.jpg

Leading up to my Christmas baking, I made my usual peppermint marshmallows. I usually use the recipe from Greweling's Chocolates and Confections, but I've recently started using the recipe from his At Home book instead. The only real difference is the invert sugar is omitted and the quantities of honey and glucose syrup are adjusted to compensate.

attachicon.gifpeppermint-marshmallows-6615.jpg

Then I tried these spiced cardamom cookies from Martha Stewart. I was really intrigued by the idea of using a texture sheet on the rolled cookie dough. I LOVE this idea. I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it on my own. I also really love this cookie. I'll definitely be making this one again.

attachicon.gifspiced-cardamom-cookies-6574.jpg

I made these lemon shortbread last year as well, and after making them this year, I got a request from a coworker to make another batch for her. They have a nice flavour and a soft tender texture, but not really the texture I expect from shortbread. I have NEVER been able to get them to turn out like the photo in the book though.

attachicon.giflemon-shortbread-6686.jpg

And finally, some gingerbread caramels. They turned out a little softer and sweeter than I'd like. Next time, I'll caramelize the sugar a bit more first, but I'll definitely make these again too.

attachicon.gifgingerbread-caramels-6665.jpg

Your assortment of goodies are so pretty. I'd love to bake at least once a week too...

Passion Fruit Tart !

I would love a serving of this!

• Like 1

I made custard pie a few days ago. It is the most popular pie on Guam. There are so many bakeries on the island. It's really interesting how my father-in-law, husband and son all love custard pie.

Guam custard pie

IMG_6735.jpg

Edited by pquinene (log)
  • Like 3

Thanks! The deco on top is tempered white chocolate. I used a parchment cone to pour it over ice cubes in a bowl. When the choc was set, I brushed on it some luster dust, same as I used on the dragés.

• Like 2

Thank you for reminding me of her! :) I want to try making branches for Easter. Some people use freezing-cold alcohol as she uses the ice water, maybe I'll try both to see which gives better results.

Pumpkin pie (for people that don't like pumpkin pie).

I'm sure the traditional is a great dessert with lots of history, but it's stodgy and heavy and will always remain in pecan pie's shade.

Here's mine: pâte sucrée, a butternut squash crémeux and spiced golden syrup meringue. It's nice to grate some spices onto the meringue before torching it, it amplifies the aroma. I used tonka, cinnamon and nutmeg.

I just saw this and it looks amazing. Any chance I could get a recipe, please? :)

Pumpkin pie (for people that don't like pumpkin pie).

I'm sure the traditional is a great dessert with lots of history, but it's stodgy and heavy and will always remain in pecan pie's shade.

Here's mine: pâte sucrée, a butternut squash crémeux and spiced golden syrup meringue. It's nice to grate some spices onto the meringue before torching it, it amplifies the aroma. I used tonka, cinnamon and nutmeg.

I just saw this and it looks amazing. Any chance I could get a recipe, please? :)

Thanks, I'll put it up on recipegullet when I get the chance.

• Like 1

For Burns night, a slightly updated Cranachan.

attachicon.gifCranachan.jpg

From top to bottom:

Oatmeal tuiles

Whisky mini babas

Honey glaze

Honey vanilla Chantilly

Raspberry crémeux

Whisky-soaked genoise

Flapjack

Oatmeal milk chocolate crunch.

attachicon.gifCranachan cut.jpg

Goes down nicely with a dram :)

You are extremely talented. I saw your pumpkin pie recipe, WOW!

Thanks, you're very kind. I love doing the more elaborate entremets and preparations. Especially when serving specialties like haggis to non-British diners, you really need something memorable for dessert :)

Jmacnaughtan, what's the "flapjack" layer? I've only ever heard the word in its American context, as a pancake, and that sure don't look like a doughy pancake to me!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I love doing the more elaborate entremets and preparations. Especially when serving specialties like haggis to non-British diners, you really need something memorable for dessert :)

Did you not once make a V8 entremet with 8 different layers featuring vanilla? Either way, this one looks fantastic as well. Can you recommend a good book focusing on entremets? I noticed you sometimes reference Philippe Conticini's Sensations.

Jmacnaughtan, what's the "flapjack" layer? I've only ever heard the word in its American context, as a pancake, and that sure don't look like a doughy pancake to me!

Interesting, I thought this sort of flapjack was an American invention. It's just a very simple oat cookie made from rolled oats, golden syrup, butter and muscovado sugar. This is the first time I've used it as anything other than a petit four, though. Here's a recipe that's not too far off the one I used.

I love doing the more elaborate entremets and preparations. Especially when serving specialties like haggis to non-British diners, you really need something memorable for dessert :)

Did you not once make a V8 entremet with 8 different layers featuring vanilla? Either way, this one looks fantastic as well. Can you recommend a good book focusing on entremets? I noticed you sometimes reference Philippe Conticini's Sensations.

Haha, yes, that was a challenge. I saw that on Masterchef Australia and had to try it... For books with good entremet techniques and recipes, I like Francisco Migoya's "the Modern Café" and "Elements of Dessert" (although I find several of his recipes flawed, the technique is good), and Conticini's "Sensations" is a wonderful book. So many great techniques, flavors and preparations. I think it's only available in French, though. There are a couple of good entremets in Adriano Zumbo's "Zumbo", including the V8, but I'm not convinced it's worth shelling out 30€ for.

I find that entremets are technically easier than many "home-cooking" layer cakes. If you have a couple of metal cake rings, a freezer and a few basic recipes to adapt, it's feasible to make a professional looking cake at home. I know I'll never have the technical skill to pull off a perfect buttercream-coated cake, my spatula skills are just too weak.

Interesting, I thought this sort of flapjack was an American invention. It's just a very simple oat cookie made from rolled oats, golden syrup, butter and muscovado sugar. This is the first time I've used it as anything other than a petit four, though. Here's a recipe that's not too far off the one I used.

I'm with judiu – the only thing I've ever heard "flapjack" used to describe is a pancake (I'm Canadian, but I've heard Americans refer to them as such). That recipe sounds good tho!

• Like 1

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

If you say "flapjack" in the UK - maybe in commonwealth countries - you mean the same sweet caramelly oat bars that jmacnaughton's talking about. They're pretty good - you can bake to anywhere between crunchy like Nature's Valley bars, to soft and chewy.

• Like 1

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.