• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What are you making and baking? (2012–2014)

Chris Hennes

• 2 weeks later...

got it: a bright light is reflecting off the L lower side making it look white.

...but there's a shadow? What's the shadow from? I'm very confused...

Wait... I see it too. That shadow edge is actually the top edge of the pan, and the white area is the front side of the pan. Aha! (sorry for 2 posts in a row but I waited too long and couldn't edit my previous one)

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

I recently made a plated dessert, kind of inspired by the Ben'n'Jerries Chunky Monkey flavor:

-Banana ice cream

-Soft chocolate dome (milk + sugar + agar + dark chocolate)

-Walnut brown butter powder (finely chopped toasted walnuts, brown butter, walnut oil, n-zorbit maltodextrin, powdered sugar, salt)

-Whipped vanilla creme fraiche

-Puffed pastry

tumblr_mv6crc91oU1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

Edited by Baselerd (log)
  • Like 1

IMG_0863.jpg

Look at this beautiful buttercream! It's duck eggs, my own home made butter - and the most important ingredient - the patience to wait until the egg mousse cooled sufficiently before adding the butter. Not something that I often get right!

IMG_0865.jpg

I'll use it later to assemble two small layer cakes (even though it doesn't really show - these are about 6 inches). It's my dad's 95th birthday tomorrow - and he allowed as he'd enjoy a chocolate cake.

• Like 4

Looks good Kerry. And I agree, the best present for someone turning 95 is whatever they damn-well want! :biggrin: I made Michael Laiskonis' Condensed Milk Ice Cream today using the Dulce de Leche Eagle Brand instead of the original. It's nice with a not-too-overbearing caramel flavor that would probably go really well with that cake. I'd suggest a 50/50 swap but I don't think it's quite cold enough to ship ice cream yet...

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Nice Kerry

I make my own butter alot too using 35% cream. I know European butters are around 84% while here in Canada we are around 81%. Do you know what the % would be of home made butter?

Not a clue - guess I could melt some and see next time.

• Like 1

I made this chocolate loaf from "Baked." I mixed it by hand, and omitted the cream cheese spread. Served it for dessert with vanilla ice cream.
DOUBLE CHOCOLATE LOAF WITH PEANUT BUTTER CREAM CHEESE SPREAD

http://www.cookincanuck.com/2011/08/double-chocolate-loaf-with-peanut-butter-cream-cheese-spread-recipe/

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Nice Kerry

I make my own butter alot too using 35% cream. I know European butters are around 84% while here in Canada we are around 81%. Do you know what the % would be of home made butter?

Really? Most of the butters we can get here (Czech Republic = Central Europe) are 82%, including the imported ones. Maybe 1 in 8 is 83% and there's this elusive one that is delicious 85% (and I am really surprised it's actually a Czech one). Do you know any specific brands that are 84%?

Vlcatko

Pumpkin pie (for people that don't like pumpkin pie).

I'm sure the traditional is a great dessert with lots of history, but it's stodgy and heavy and will always remain in pecan pie's shade.

Here's mine: pâte sucrée, a butternut squash crémeux and spiced golden syrup meringue. It's nice to grate some spices onto the meringue before torching it, it amplifies the aroma. I used tonka, cinnamon and nutmeg.

Squash 2.jpg

Squash cut.jpg

• Like 4