• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What are you making and baking? (2012–2014)

Chris Hennes

Not posted in a while as haven't had anything much to share. That's what happens when you are on a diet and avoiding sugar / carbs etc !

Anyway - started playing around with a few ideas for Halloween. This is one of them... cake layered with buttercream and jam (to look like a meat pie), covered in fondant and chocolate fingers.

sweeneytoddzoom_zps6e41ae5e.jpg

• Like 1

Ann – those Danish look delectable!

Baselerd – I love the look of your strawberry/sorbet concoction and I adore the idea of freeze dried strawberry powder!

Pquinene – your rocky road ice cream looks so scrumptious.

Elise – lovely looking and sounding poundcake!

Last night’s dessert was lemon chess pie w/ CI’s vodka pie pastry:

med_gallery_3331_119_95686.jpg

What is not so evident in this picture is that while I cooked it in a deep dish pie pan, the pie filling makes a fairly shallow pie:

med_gallery_3331_119_12669.jpg

It looked decidedly odd when sliced and I made a note to cook it in a regular pie pan from now on :laugh: .

Everyone's desserts look amazing! The baking bug hit me this weekend - blueberry hand pies (recipe from King Arthur) and banana chocolate chip cake - wonderful recipe from Baking with Dorie Goldspan - delicious (I added the chocolate chips). Thanks for looking!

(Sorry if the pictures come out too large!)

blueberry hand pies.jpg

banana chocolate chip cake.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you,

I made it in a small tin I found in a kitchenware store. First pre-poached apples in caramel/butter/apple juice, sliced them in 4 pieces, put the pieces in the tin on top of some butter and sugar. Finally added some rolled out puff pastry on top.

Inspired by a recent trip to San Francisco where I devoured delicious fruit tartlets at Frog Hollow Farm bakery, last weekend I made a couple of rustic tarts that I brought to picnics. Peach, and my favorite one (photo) which was nectarine-apricot.

Not using a tart pan is liberating. It makes the whole process so much faster.

9585904544_8d2b6e96e4_z.jpg

• Like 4

Thank you,

I made it in a small tin I found in a kitchenware store. First pre-poached apples in caramel/butter/apple juice, sliced them in 4 pieces, put the pieces in the tin on top of some butter and sugar. Finally added some rolled out puff pastry on top.

Thanks. Might work well with flan rings, too.

Not a totally appropriate place to post this - as I didn't make or bake it - however they were made by eG's Alleguede at Ma Maison in Etobicoke.

It was my pleasure to visit Rodney and Jess at their home the other night - and I came away with these two wonderful cakes -

DSCN2011.jpg

Chocolate and hazelnut - I got a small taste before hubby tucked away the rest for his enjoyment.

DSCN2013.jpg

Coconut and red fruit that I believe included strawberry - I enjoyed the lions share of this one - although I did take a couple of nice slices over to my father today - who at 94 has given in completely to his sweet tooth.

DSCN2016.jpg

• Like 2

GEDC4141_zps62afa2b7.jpg

maple bacon cupcakes my wife made this past saturday for a bbq party.. We only learned after the fact that Saturday , also happened to be

International Bacon Day.. Recipe is from southern living mag although she changed up a bit and maple syrup candied the bacon.

Edited by Ashen (log)
  • Like 2

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Yes sorry i gave you the cakes without defining :

- white one : yogurt mousse, wild strawberry cremeux, coconut sponge

- brown one : hazelnut praline mousse, Ghana milk chocolate ganache, roasted hazelnut dacquoise

Both cakes gluten free.

I hope they were good?

Kerry, those cakes are stunners!

Oatmeal chocolate chip are my favourite cookies, so I gave Deb's recipe from Smitten Kitchen a go and it was pretty darn good. I appreciate that she uses twice as many oats as flour. Mind the poor ribbon job haha. I was trying to make it cute for a lady friend :)

Choco1.jpgChoco2.jpg

• Like 1