• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What are you making and baking? (2012–2014)

Chris Hennes

I made French macarons using almond flour. The filling is simply a not-so-sweet velvet cake frosting (cream cheese, butter, a bit powdered sugar and a splash of vanilla extract). I was testing the how well the freeze-dried strawberries would do in the oven; they added a slight tang but darkened too much. Next time, I'll just paint a bit of melted, white Crisco on the baked and cooled macarons then sprinkle on the freeze-dried berries.

972381_10200826762503173_1990138923_n.jp

Fig Tart - made with figs from our Texas fig tree.Fig Tart 002.JPG

• Like 5

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Hi all! This is my first post in eGullet. I joined at the urging of RobertM :smile: A couple of weeks ago was my fiance's birthday and he absolutely loves anything Red Velvet. I decided to try something new and made this Red Velvet Cheesecake! It was my first cheesecake I've ever made and it was a huge hit with the family! I can't wait to try out other cheesecake recipes!

Red Velvet Cheesecake.jpg

• Like 4

CFG25 - that looks delicious! Is that a baked cheesecake, or a refrigerator style? And what, pray tell, is red velvet? It intrigues me greatly - this is the first time I've ever seen anything like it.

• Like 1

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Thank you everyone!! :biggrin:Panaderia Canadiense - It is a baked cheesecake. Red Velvet while I don't have a great definition - to me it is like a light chocolate flavored cake dyed red using food coloring or in the old days they actually used beetroots. IAte - this is the recipe I used from Baked by Rachel I obviously made it into 1 cheesecake instead of several mini ones and I also added the mini chocolate chips as the garnish. http://www.bakedbyrachel.com/2013/01/mini-red-velvet-cheesecakes/

• Like 1

Chocolate pound cake from Williams-Sonoma's Complete Entertaining Cookbook. I had this recipe bookmarked for the longest time. My daughter LOVES chocolate so I made this for her. I was a little skeptical of the recipe (which uses a surprisingly low amount of chocolate/cocoa powder) but it's actually very good and moist.

9245538148_d28779c652_z.jpg

I did not have sour cream on hand and substituted 1/3 crème fraîche and 2/3 Greek yoghurt.

The chocolate was Trader Joe's 72% dark; the cocoa powder was 1/2 TJ's, 1/2 Scharffen Berger.

• Like 3

Very cool pattern on your bundt cake, curls. What kind of bundt cake mold do you use?

Thank you FrogPrincesse. That is the latest bundt cake mold from NordicWare. I picked it up from their factory store when I was in the area for a wedding. The pattern is called "Jubilee."

I also had a chance to visit Robyn and Deidre from St. Croix Chocolate Company; they are wonderful people with delicious and beautiful chocolates! Will upload pictures of some of their chocolates soon.

• Like 1

I am just in awe here. The quality of the cooking on this thread is just incredible.

Elise – the texture of that chocolate pound cake looks perfect.

Curls – I love your bundt pan, too!

I made some Double Chocolate Cherry cookies this weekend to take to a dinner at our friends house:

med_gallery_3331_119_151119.jpg

They were kind of unusual and very good. The ‘double’ part was cocoa and chocolate chips. Another ingredient was oatmeal, which I’ve never used in a chocolate cooky. Instead of chips, I chunked up some dark chocolate. They were pretty intensely chocolate flavored and nicely chewy. To me, they needed more dried cherries, though.

• Like 2

Kim - I played around with chocolate cherry cookies a few years ago and crossed them off the Christmas giving list- just not special enough. I like the oatmeal inclusion and I picked up some dried tart Montmorency cherries that have a deep cherry flavor along with a sour punch. Can you share the recipe? I may need to try again.