• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What are you making and baking? (2012–2014)

Chris Hennes

chocoflanwhole.jpg

Chocoflan whole

chocoflancut.jpg

Cut into a slice

The center of the cake wasn't baked enough. You can see the flan at the tip is runny. Also, I think there might have been too thick of a layer of cajeta. Still, this was a big hit.

Very nice Jeff. Looks tasty. Is "too much cajeta" even possible? :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Chocolate mud cake with strawberry ganache filled chocolates and fresh strawberries. 21st birthday cake (& our present!) for my brother-in-law's girlfriend (Her name begins with 'M' hence the chocolates :))

DSC_3102.jpg

DSC_3099.jpg

Chocolate mud cake with strawberry ganache filled chocolates and fresh strawberries. 21st birthday cake (& our present!) for my brother-in-law's girlfriend (Her name begins with 'M' hence the chocolates :))

Oh my! She is going to be overwhelmed when she sees that wonderful cake.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I made this again, using 2 layers of sponge cake instead of ladyfingers. Love this cake!

Mexican Chocolate Icebox Cake

http://www.epicuriou...box-Cake-101955

Oh my goodness. Does this sound delicious. I read some of the original reviews about dipping the lady fingers in Kahlua and thought about dipping them in a Margarita mixture (my current obsession). Why not I ask. I think this is my next public dessert.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I made this again, using 2 layers of sponge cake instead of ladyfingers. Love this cake!

Oh my goodness. Does this sound delicious. I read some of the original reviews about dipping the lady fingers in Kahlua and thought about dipping them in a Margarita mixture (my current obsession). Why not I ask. I think this is my next public dessert.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

I've been making this cake since 2000, and it's fantastic. The only thing I do differently now (besides using sponge cake layers), is I replace 2 Tbsp of the butter with cream cheese for the filling. It comes out creamier that way. Some reviewers replace all the butter with cream cheese, but I thought it would compromise the taste too much, and taste too cheesecakey. Anyway, if you decide to make this as is, ie, with all butter, make sure you let it come to a cool room temperature before serving, and not straight out of the refrigerator - otherwise, the filling will be a little too dry, especially if you leave it overnight, which I recommend. But, if you substitute just a little cream cheese, as I do, it will be fine right from the refrigerator.

If you make this, let me know how it turns out!

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

I've been making this cake since 2000, and it's fantastic. The only thing I do differently now (besides using sponge cake layers), is I replace 2 Tbsp of the butter with cream cheese for the filling. It comes out creamier that way. Some reviewers replace all the butter with cream cheese, but I thought it would compromise the taste too much, and taste too cheesecakey. Anyway, if you decide to make this as is, ie, with all butter, make sure you let it come to a cool room temperature before serving, and not straight out of the refrigerator - otherwise, the filling will be a little too dry, especially if you leave it overnight, which I recommend. But, if you substitute just a little cream cheese, as I do, it will be fine right from the refrigerator.

If you make this, let me know how it turns out!

With the holidays just over, it may be some time until the next fancy dessert, but I shall report back and thanks for the extra instructions.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

What's the difference between budino, pudding and pot de crème?

Looks great, by the way.

I feel like people play fast and loose with the terms, but pudding (budino being the Italian version thereof) is stovetop, custards (like pot de creme) are in the oven. Puddings can use either flour/cornstarch or that plus egg yolks to thicken, whereas custards use just eggs because the starches would settle out before it sets in the oven.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to making a bacon ice cream. It came out soooo good :). I used a basic base made with brown sugar and baked the bacon with dark brown sugar. I think what made it extra good is that I used the house cured bacon at work . It's so good on it's own, I knew it would come out great.

The top got mushed from the lid before I could get the picture.

baconIC.JPG

jmacnaughtan – your Paris-Brest is beautiful. I would LOVE to taste that.

minas – what lovely marshmallows. I promised myself that one of the things that I would tackle when I was able to quit work was marshmallows. It’s been almost a year and I haven’t yet, but you give me some inspiration!

Baked a cake for one of Mr. Kim’s coworkers:

med_gallery_3331_119_108040.jpg

My usual Chocolate Bar Cake with Michael Ruhlman’s Chocolate Buttercream Icing. Slice:

med_gallery_3331_119_55285.jpg

This was delicious (Mr. Kim was able to save me a slice) and Michael’s icing is so light and delicate. It’s almost texture-less – just pure chocolate taste.

Out of the Elements of Dessert: Fig Ice Cream, Jasmine Tea Cake, Scottish Shortbread Crumble, Chocolate Sauce. The entire dessert was supposed to be contained within a melting chocolate box, but I gave up on that...

775170_10102730341600420_923859344_o.jpg