• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What are you making and baking? (2012–2014)

Chris Hennes

image.jpg

Butter tart squares for somebody who likes the filling to pastry ratio reversed!

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Those are gorgeous Patrick!

It's pudding day for me -

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

Steamed cranberry pudding with a butter, cream and sugar sauce.

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

Lord Randall's Pudding from The Pudding Club Book. Apricots and marmalade - looks like it all sunk to the bottom making the pudding's extrication from the basin a bit messy - but it's a damn fine pudding. Made a sauce with butter, brown sugar, cream and rum.

• Like 3

Lemon tart. I used Keller's recipe for lemon sabayon, although I included a couple dashes of Scrappy's cardamom bitters, a handful of freshly picked kaffir lime leaves (removed as I poured the sabayon into the tart casing) and messed around with his ratio for lemon and sugar (he goes for 0.5 c lemon juice to 0.75 c sugar: I invert this and add an extra whole egg to compensate for the extra liquid). I think the original recipe, like many American baking recipes I've tried, is just too sweet. I like lemon tarts that possess the sour quality of lemon.

I didn't use his pastry recipe, either. I turned to David Everitt-Matthias' Dessert for that. It includes a little bit of almond meal (540 g flour to 100 g almond meal) and vanilla extract. I took his advice and use demerara sugar in place of regular confectioner's sugar because I really like the flavour of demerara.

EDIT

It'd be nice if I attached the photo, hey?

lemontart_zps927e8e4c.png

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)
  • Like 5

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Made these for Christmas to give to friends. And I made Hermé's Black Forest cake from the chocolate book, for Christmas dinner. Didn't get a pic of the cake though, people demolished it (in the good sense :)) before I had had a chance to.

image.jpg

Edited by DianaM (log)
  • Like 7

Made these for Christmas to give to friends. And I made Hermé's Black Forest cake from the chocolate book, for Christmas dinner. Didn't get a pic of the cake though, people demolished it (in the good sense :)) before I had had a chance to.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Diana,

What are the chocolate "squiggle" cookies?

Can you share your recipe?

Thanks!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Diana,

Thanks!

The chocolate squiggles are Viennese sablés, also from Pierre Hermé's book. They're my favourite cookie EVER! :)

Recipe on its way via PM.

• Like 2

Diana,

Thanks!

The chocolate squiggles are Viennese sablés, also from Pierre Hermé's book. They're my favourite cookie EVER! :)

Recipe on its way via PM.

Well, I guess I know what I'll be making in the next couple weeks!

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

It was my friend Camy's twelfth birthday yesterday, and this is what she asked me for. It's coconut-vanilla-orange chiffon cake, filled with vanilla-orange IMBC and covered with coconut fondant. Most fun I've had making a cake this year (even if the year is young, something like this bodes well for the rest of it!)

Cake1.jpg

• Like 6

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I have a buttercream filling with some premade cream filling I get from Chocoley.com. They make a lot of different flavors of fillings. I usually add some other flavorings to them. I added lemon candy flavoring to this one. Plus a little rum. and then yellow candy food coloring.

• Like 1

Stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS!!

I'm still aiming to bake at least one thing each week, but I'm WAY behind on updating things on my website. Here are a few that I've managed to upload...

Back in November, I made these chocolate-ginger cookies. I was hoping for a really chocolate-y cookie with a punch of ginger, but they're more like ginger cookies with a bit of chocolate. Still a good cookie, just not what I was hoping for when I chose it.

chocolate-ginger-cookies-6474.jpg

Leading up to my Christmas baking, I made my usual peppermint marshmallows. I usually use the recipe from Greweling's Chocolates and Confections, but I've recently started using the recipe from his At Home book instead. The only real difference is the invert sugar is omitted and the quantities of honey and glucose syrup are adjusted to compensate.

peppermint-marshmallows-6615.jpg

Then I tried these spiced cardamom cookies from Martha Stewart. I was really intrigued by the idea of using a texture sheet on the rolled cookie dough. I LOVE this idea. I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it on my own. I also really love this cookie. I'll definitely be making this one again.

spiced-cardamom-cookies-6574.jpg

I made these lemon shortbread last year as well, and after making them this year, I got a request from a coworker to make another batch for her. They have a nice flavour and a soft tender texture, but not really the texture I expect from shortbread. I have NEVER been able to get them to turn out like the photo in the book though.

lemon-shortbread-6686.jpg

And finally, some gingerbread caramels. They turned out a little softer and sweeter than I'd like. Next time, I'll caramelize the sugar a bit more first, but I'll definitely make these again too.

gingerbread-caramels-6665.jpg

• Like 6

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

I love everything that's posted - beautiful pics and sweets! I was stuck in the house during the recent cold snap and snow storm and decided it was a good day to bake challah! These are two of the 3 loaves and my first time braiding bread (I'm more of a pastry person!). The next time I think I would make my loaves shorter and fatter and maybe try more than 3 part braids. Thanks for looking!

Ruth

sorry the pic is so big, I can never figure that out!

(recipe from Joan Nathan by way of Smitten Kitchen)

challah.jpg

• Like 4