• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

mm84321

Creme d'artichaut

mm84321   

I am following a recipe that calls for "creme d'artichaut". It is used to finish a risotto. I need maybe a tablespoon or two. Is there a source for this in NYC, or in the USA, for that matter. Or is it perhaps something that can be made at home? From what I've gathered, it is simply a puree of artichokes and skim milk. If anyone has any more information on this product, I would appreciate it.

mm84321   

Thank you for the suggestions. I have come to the conclusion that "créme" of something does not always refer to cream, as in créme liquide. For example, I have encountered "créme d'anchois" and "créme de sardine" (anchovy paste and sardine paste, respectively). I found a very delicious artichoke spread at the market today which I will use, since I assume that is what the recipe is referring to.