• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Temperatures of Slow Cookers

Shel_B

I've been thinking about buying a slow cooker. However, I was wondering what approximate temperatures these slow cookers cook at. Perhaps instead of buying a slow cooker, I can use a Le Creuset or Staub in a slow oven and get a similar result. Any thoughts on this idea?

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

I believe one can cook as low as 177F and up to boiling. However, my habit has been to use a slow oven or very low flame. Regardless, there is something to be said considering the efficiency of an electric slow-cooker such as a crock-pot. One isn't heating an entire oven to transmit the heat into a covered pot or dish. A burner faces similar issues.

Also, a crock-pot is convenient for holding food at serving temps and serving for parties and such without tying up the stove or oven.

it can do a lot of interesting things more energy efficient than a stove or a stove top.

but ... understand how to use it and if it fits your cooking style first.

maybe find this book at your library first:

http://www.amazon.com/Your-Mothers-Slow-Cooker-Cookbook/dp/1558322450/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353887004&sr=1-3&keywords=slow+cooker+books

good luck!~

They're nice for east meals - most slow cooker recipes in existence generally consist of throwing all ingredients in the cooker and not much more. As mentioned before, they are great at keeping food warm for serving, and they're usually very low cost.

With that said, I haven't touched mine since getting a water bath a few years ago. I find that slow cookers don't offer much precision if you want to elevate your braised foods to the next level.

Edited by Baselerd (log)

I love slow cookers! I usually put the ingredients into the crock the night before and put it in the fridge. In the morning I take the crock out of the fridge and place it into the outer shell and plug it in, turn it on low, and leave the house.

I come home to smells that are wonderful and sit down to eat almost immediately. It is one of the most convenient ways to cook and it takes such little prep time. I scored one from a thrift store and see them there all the time! Why someone would get rid of one is beyond me, but I will happily score a deal.

They're nice for east meals - most slow cooker recipes in existence generally consist of throwing all ingredients in the cooker and not much more. As mentioned before, they are great at keeping food warm for serving, and they're usually very low cost.

With that said, I haven't touched mine since getting a water bath a few years ago. I find that slow cookers don't offer much precision if you want to elevate your braised foods to the next level.

I think it's safe to assume a slow cooker is used for convenience, not precision. If I'm using a slow cooker it's because I would like to come home from work and have dinner ready with minimal effort. Dragging out my vacuum sealer and Putting food in little baggies just seems counter productive.