• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Accidently Acquired Pumpkin Pie Filling

Darienne

While away from home, our dogs have canned pumpkin added to their breakfasts. Long story, won't bore you. So, DH on his last grocery-buying round bought pie filling (sugar, sugar, sugar) instead of just plain pumpkin and this morning I opened the can without checking the label.

OK. Now I have this great quantity of canned pumpkin pie filling. What shall I do with it, if any? Anyone have a suitable cake or muffin recipe? Or? Or should I simply upend it into the garbage?

Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thanks. Can't freeze it...might be able to give it away although not too likely.

I was secretly hoping for a full-blown muffin recipe. :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I am even lazier than you though. :blush: I had already gotten that far...was hoping for a single recipe...not a challenge to look through a bunch...some of which are not suitable, BTW, to pick one.

I have a couple of packages of candied ginger p[pieces. Might work them in as well as walnuts.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

How about pumpkin cheesecake, like this one from Paula Deen. Or this one, from Martha Stewart. Adjust the sugar accordingly, of course.

I, for one, would like to read the story of Canned Pumpkin and the Dogs' Breakfast.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I've got a cake recipe that could easily be converted to muffins, which has chocolate chunks in it as well....

With gratitude, I accept your offer. Muffins are probably what I"m looking for.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I'm here, I'm here. You know that Mondays are a complete wreck for me!

.75 C butter, softened

1.5 C pumpkin pie filling

(up to 1/2 C panela or piloncillo - your call, depending on how sweet the pie filling is)

1 tsp vanilla

2 eggs

2.5 C AP flour

1 TSP baking powder

1 TSP baking soda

1.5 TSP cinnamon (ground)

0.5 TSP cloves (ground)

0.5 TSP nutmeg (ground)

0.5 TSP ginger (ground)

0.75 C chopped semisweet chocolate

0.5 C walnuts, chopped

--

Cream butter with pumpkin and panela (if you're using it); beat in eggs and vanilla.

Combine flour, spices, and leavens, and sift into the wet. Beat until just mixed. If it seems too stiff, add more pumpkin by TBSPs until it reaches the desired consistency.

Fold in chocolate and nuts.

For muffins, 20 minutes at 350 F, more or less. This version makes about 12 muffins, and scales beautifully.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I forgot. I apologize. It was sweet of you to send the recipe and I shall make them this very night. And shall call them Pumpkin PanaCan in your honour.

You can relax now. Tomorrow is Tuesday. :wub: :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

You could probably use it as a substitute for any recipe calling for pumpkin puree. A few that come to mind:

Pumpkin pie (duh)

Pumpkin ice cream

Pumpkin panna cotta

Baked pumpkin breads/muffins/cakes

Not to mention, pumpkin ginger <insert item here>, pumpkin carrot <insert item here>, pumkin rasin (& carrot?) <insert item here>... you get the idea.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

A wonderful treat that we make often this time of year is Pumpkin Pie French Toast. You can find many recipes online but basically you just add pureed pumpkin to the egg mixture along with pumpkin pie spices. We also add a bit of brown (or maple) sugar but if your pumpkin is already sweet, you could leave that out.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

The recipe for pie on the can is crap. (pardon the term, but it is true) The stuff is already almost sweet enough.

You can use it to make a very good pie (I have used it when I was baking pies for the women's center and the person I sent to the store bought this instead of plain pumpkin.

Beat 6 large eggs until frothy add 1/4 cup of dark brown sugar, beat until smooth. Beat in the pumpkin mixture.

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Bake in TWO 8 inch pie pans lined with pie pastry which you have baked plain for 10 minutes and cooled before adding the filling. Bake for 45 minutes - they should just jiggle a bit in the center. Turn the oven off and leave to cool in the oven for 45 minutes.

You can make a single pie if you have a DEEP 10 inch pie pan or use a 9 x 11 rectangular baking dish.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

One day late from my promise...sugar burn...ouch, very big ouch. Delicious muffins from the recipe from PanaCan. Thanks again. Oh, I doubled the walnuts, but I always do that sort of thing with the nut measure.

Pumpkin Muffins.JPG

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.