• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caramellized Pineapple Goop: What do I do with it?

jrshaul

While trying to substitute fresh pineapple for canned in a recipe for candied pineapple, I severely snafu'd the recipe (and severely overcompensated with the sugar) to produce a sort of heavily boiled, caramelized pineapple goop. It's too sweet and too liquid for a pie filling, wildly inappropriate for a sauce, and sufficiently tasty I don't want to chuck it.

I figure my options are:

1. Pull the pineapple bits for some unknown purpose, cook remainder until it resembles some sort of candy.

2. Add water or pineapple juice or wine, add pectin, and turn it into a jam.

3. Mix it into something else as a flavoring and sweetener.

Any ideas?

(Please excuse the appalling cell phone photograph.)

IMG_20121122_171024.jpg

I make a pineapple pie filling similar to this, using fresh pineapple. You have to double the amount of cornstarch or arrowroot and omit the lemon juice.

I use guar gum or xanthan gum too, which resists the acid better.

There are several other recipes. You can also mix the pineapple into bran muffins batter, cutting the liquid in the recipe by half and bake additional time.

I tried to find the recipe for pina colada pie I made a couple of years ago - it was made with fresh pineapple, cooked, shredded coconut, etc.,

This recipe is similar but not exact.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

There's been a surplus of cheap pineapples around here lately (Did a warehouse lose power?) and I'd still like to try making a canned pineapple jam or chutney. It may well be too sweet for that. Maybe next batch.

add some hot spices to it and serve it over cheese with crackers

The problem is that the sugar/pineapple ratio is so high that It would be just overpoweringly sweet.

I make a pineapple pie filling similar to this, using fresh pineapple. You have to double the amount of cornstarch or arrowroot and omit the lemon juice.

I use guar gum or xanthan gum too, which resists the acid better.

That's a very good idea. I've been making a lot of ice cream lately, and caramelized pineapple custard would be extremely pleasant indeed.