• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Mountfort

Sous Vide Supreme Black Friday Special

Email from the people at SVS this morning. Chef model plus their vaccum packer for US$449. Free shipping in the lower 48.

BLACK FRIDAY WEEKEND SPECIAL! This professional grade model is reduced to only $449 plus receive aFREE SousVide Supreme Vacuum Sealer! Enter Promo Code SOUSVIDE during checkout. US/Canada orders only. Ends Nov. 26, 2012.

Thoughts? I've used their water oven with good results but had no experience with their vac sealer. Does it use any bags or the foodsaver type?

Edited by Mountfort (log)

Doodad   

I have had no problem with any type of sealing bags. It looks to be just a rebranded foodsaver sealer to me.

Well I took the plunge and ordered. UPS didn't want to venture down our (gravel/long/dark?) driveway Friday evening; after waiting the weekend the Water Bath and the Vacuum Sealer arrived as promised. First order of business a pork belly garnish for Tonkotsu Ramen that was dinner. Seasoned, sealed, plonked in the bath at 60C for a couple of hours.

Pork_Belly.jpg

After about 30 minutes this gorgeous pepper/laurel/anise smell filled the kitchen after lifting the lid. Bag was floating -- faulty seal right off the bat. Removed the belly and sealed again (seal only) as the meat was too warm to attempt to vacuum again at this point. Weighted it down an carried on.

Starting 3-day shortribs. Vacuum sealed the bag and then "seal only" three times in different places on the bag. Fingers crossed.

Short_Ribs.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By chriswrightcycles
      Good afternoon everyone!

I currently own a MiniPack MVS31x chamber style vacuum sealer and am wondering if a Polycience vacuum canister will work in my machine? The intended use is for making a larger batch of aerated mousse. 
    • By Manav
      Any tips on previous interesting threads and FAQs will be helpful

• By boombonniewhale
      Hello! I was wondering if anyone on here has tried using an induction cooktop with confection making (caramels, fondant, marshmallows ect...). My stove has literally three settings, and the low setting still burns sugar and there is no such thing as maintaining any sort of "simmer". I was looking into getting a cooktop and buying some copper sugar pots and mauviel makes this thing that goes inbetween. I would love to hear any input into this idea or your experiences!

~Sarah
    • By oferl
      Hi :-) Bought 1.7Kg pork chunk, might be a bit of weird cutting, seems like a rack of pork chops caught between V shaped in bones.
      Would like to sous vide it whole without further cutting to single steaks and would be glad to get a direction for temp and time, from what i've seen 60-62C 
      area might be great to keep it juicy but i'm lost with the time, as it is a big chunk and not single steaks.. Thanks !   
    • By Rugby
      Hello fellow eGullet members. I stumbled across this forum while looking for ways to improve my food here.
      I've been a technical type all my life and started assembling my kitchen 7 years ago piece by piece after quitting living from hotels for the previous 12 years.  
      I currently enjoy smoked foods and tweaking local / regional recipes by applying technique instead of hard boiling or large batch frying.  So far it's allowed me to enjoy and reinforce my knowledge of ingredients.
      Thank you everyone contributing here and those folks who laid the frameworks for dispelling myths and providing understanding of ingredients and flavours.
      Best regards and bon-appetit,
      Warren