• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is this Chinese knife sufficient for chopping poultry?

So I'm making some roast duck on Thursday (unorthodox Sichuanese thanksgiving...), and I went out and bought a Chinese cleaver so I can chop it up on the bone. I asked the guy at the Chinese supermarket for a knife for that purpose, and this is what he gave me. Not really sure if it's up to it, it seems kind of light. Can someone please tell me what the package says? I don't read much Chinese, but I can see that cai (as in vegetable) is not on there, so maybe it's OK? Thanks!

IMG_5427.JPG

I can't read Chinese, but it looks much like the one I have. If it's light, I wouldn't use it on a drumstick or thigh bone. I had only used it on vegetables until my s-i-l tried to chop through the drumstick and put 2 "bends" in the blade:-(

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I have a 'set' of these stainless steel kinves. not really a set, but purchased one by one in Chinatown

they generally have a number on them that relates to size. I routinely use a # 3 to chop turkey bones etc. have not used it on beef.

I use a mallet that has a harder and softer side to do this with reasonable accuracy.

I note you have a #2. maybe wait and get a # 3 or even # 4

if honed razor sharp these are knives that have a decent place in the kitchen.

I really squirm when I hear the word "Chop" used with cooking. For me, chopping is for firewood.

I can cut up a chicken with a paring knife if I have too, usually I just use a regular Chef's knife. A cleaver will work fantasically.

All you need to do is find the "sweet spot", where the bones join and get the knife in the cartlidge (sp?), It's like cuting through a mushroom, and you get a clean cut.

If you chop down in the middle of a bone, say a leg bone, you are guaranteed to get bone splitters in the meat.

For most poultry you would:

-Run a knife down both sides of the breast bone following it's contours, then around the wishbone, cut through each shoulder joint and gently remove each breast intact with the wing. You can cut through the breast no problem as there is no bone.

-Run a knife around the thigh, gently pull to remove the hip joint, cut through the cartlidge (sp?) and remove the whole leg. Cut through the thigh/knee joint again.

Hope this helps........

Id look for as many # of these as you can find. they are cheap, easy to sharpen and do a lot of useful work in the kitchen.

keep them sharp and in a wooden block. use a mallet for the 'chopping' rather than a wack:

Cleaver Mallet.jpg

note the 'damage' the mallet did to the non cutting 'top' its the surface just above the mallet.

So what? 10 bucks and ive used it for 20 years.

I use the system above to Chop off the ends of turkey legs about 2 inches from the end.

no other way to do this unless you have a food safe band saw.

good luck cleaning that!

Edited by rotuts (log)

I really squirm when I hear the word "Chop" used with cooking. For me, chopping is for firewood.

Our dogs get raw chicken thighs and legs and Ed does chop the pieces into smaller pieces for them. Dogs can digest raw bones. Just not cooked bones. I'll tell him about using a mallet, but he likes the heavy chopping thing. :raz: I suspect he would feel the mallet would slow him down.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Life in the Meadows and Rivers

Cheers & Chocolates

The Chinese just repeats the English.

Awww, you spoilt the fun! I was going to tell him that it was a "human sacrifice knife for devil festival" or something along those lines :)

Edward - Chinese cleavers are designed for chopping. If you have ever been to a Chinese BBQ restaurant, you will see they literally chop through the bones of all the BBQ'ed meats. If the knife is sharp and the chef is skilled, there will be no splinters.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Ehhhh....NO!

I've lived long enough in S'pore and worked there long enough to know that Hiananese chicken rice always contains bone fragments, as does roast duck, and Char siew shouldn't have any bone to it.

You shouldn't have to cut across bones, as they will always splinter--they are hollow and filled with marrow, so you will never get a clean cut unless you use a saw.

Nature has given us a way to portion meat without getting bone fragments mixed in: Cut bones where they join, and you'll always have a clean cut.

Like I said, I squirm when I hear "chopping". After close to 30 years working in kitchens all around the world, I can tell you that the closer the knife (or cleaver) is to the cutting board, the more control you have over it. When you "chop", your knife is much higher, and you have much less control of where it lands --or how it lands.

A Chinese cleaver will do all kinds of cutting, chopping and slicing.

It can crash garlic,

it can scoop up stuff from your cutting board.

Use the handle end and a cup and you have a pestle and mortar.

With two cleavers, one in each hand, you can chop meat faster than any food proccessor.

The only thing it cannot do is what a paring knife can do.

dcarch

"Chopping" poultry? Ugh.

If you want to serve slices, then take the breasts off the bone and slice.

If you want bits of poultry for a recipe, I recommended shredding, not chopping. Texture is so much better when shredded.

And I recommend a German boning knife for getting the meat off the carcass. That knife in your photo looks horrible. But then again, I don't know anything about how the Chinese cook poultry.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

The Chinese cut poultry through the bone, such that each piece includes bone. Chopping is exactly what's done

As seen here:

Edited by Hassouni (log)

Yup, typical method used at "hawker centers" and on the street.

When you chop through the rib cage, you will get bone fragments..

When you chop through wing bones or leg bones you will get fragments. Bird's bones are purposely hollow,and when you put pressure on a hollow bone it will not cut cleanly, you will get fragmetns

Look at the chopping block, it's littered with bones and bone fragments.

One of the joys of eating chicken, duck Chinese style is the way it's "chopped" into pieces WITH bone.

Char siu never has bones. Siu yook (crispy pork - suckling pig, whole roasted pig) can have bones but I've never experienced splinters.

Whether or not there are splinters, I think depends on the weight of the cleaver, how sharp it is, and how skillful the cook is.

Looking at the video, that's exactly how my BBQ shop chops ducks and chickens. What is usually left on the block are fragments of meat.

Hassouni: Looks like you're going to be fine "chopping"... :wink:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Sigh..............

I'll explain it again.

Poultry has hollow bones, when you exert force on them they crack and fracture--just like an egg. Doesn't matter if you exert force with a sharp object or not, they will fracture The only two ways to cleanly cut poultry bones is with either a saw or cutting in between the joints.

Bone fragments inbetween your teeth is a nuisance.

Bone fragments inbetween your teeth and gums is very uncomfortable,

Bone fragments down your throat is dangerous.

I've experienced all three during my time in S'pore, and with the many vendors here in Vancouver.

Thank you

But then again, I don't know anything about how the Chinese cook poultry.

Chinese chicken is nearly always cooked and served on the bone, as are most poultry and fish. They taste better that way.

And poultry is chopped. I've have no recollection of ever encountering bone shards or "fragments" (whatever that means) in any of the literally thousands of chicken or duck dishes I have eaten over the years.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Don't bother, Edward. There might be a few hundred thousand Chinese BBQ chefs around the world. You are not going to persuade them to use a saw to cut their poultry.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw
  • Similar Content

• By liuzhou
      It is possibly not well-known that China has some wonderful hams, up there with the best that Spain can offer. This lack of wide knowledge, at least in the USA, is mainly down to regulations forbidding their importation. However, for travellers to China and those in  places with less restrictive policies, here are some of the best.

This article from the WSJ is a good introduction to one of the best - Xuanwei Ham 宣威火腿  (xuān wēi huǒ tuǐ) from Yunnan province.
      This Ingredient Makes Everything Better
      I can usually obtain Xuanwei ham here around the Chinese New Year/Spring Festival, but I also have a good friend who lives in Yunnan who sends me regular supplies. The article compares it very favourably with jamon iberico, a sentiment with which I heartily agree.

Xuanwei Ham

Xuanwei Ham

more coming soon.

• By liuzhou
      Clam Soup with Mustard Greens - 车螺芥菜汤

This is a popular, light but peppery soup available in most restaurants here (even if its not listed on the menu). Also, very easy to make at home.

Ingredients

Clams. (around 8 to 10 per person. Some restaurants are stingy with the clams, but I like to be more generous). Fresh live clams are always used in China, but if, not available, I suppose frozen clams could be used. Not canned. The most common clams here are relatively small. Littleneck clams may be a good substitute in terms of size.

Stock. Chicken, fish or clam stock are preferable. Stock made from cubes or bouillon powder is acceptable, although fresh is always best.

Mustard Greens. (There are various types of mustard green. Those used here are  芥菜 , Mandarin: jiè cài; Cantonese: gai choy). Use a good handful per person. Remove the thick stems, to be used in another dish.)

Garlic. (to taste)

Chile. (One or two fresh hot red chiles are optional).

Salt.

MSG (optional). If you have used a stock cube or bouillon powder for the stock, omit the MSG. The cubes and power already have enough.

White pepper (freshly ground. I recommend adding what you consider to be slightly too much pepper, then adding half that again. The soup should be peppery, although of course everything is variable to taste.)

Method

Bring your stock to a boil. Add salt to taste along with MSG if using.

Finely chop the garlic and chile if using. Add to stock and simmer for about five minutes.

Make sure all the clams are tightly closed, discarding any which are open - they are dead and should not be eaten.

The clams will begin to pop open fairly quickly. Remove the open ones as quickly as possible and keep to one side while the others catch up. One or two clams may never open. These should also be discarded. When you have all the clams fished out of the boiling stock, roughly the tear the mustard leaves in two and drop them into the stock. Simmer for one minute. Put all the clams back into the stock and when it comes back to the boil, take off the heat and serve.
    • By liuzhou
      Stir-fried Squid with Snow Peas - 荷兰豆鱿鱼

Another popular restaurant dish that can easily be made at home. The only difficult part (and it's really not that difficult) is preparing the squid. However, your seafood purveyor should be able to do that for you. I have given details below.

Ingredients

Fresh squid. I tend to prefer the smaller squid in which case I allow one or two squid per person, depending on what other dishes I'm serving. You could use whole frozen squid if fresh is unavailable. Certainly not dried squid.

Snow peas aka Mange Tout. Sugar snap peas can also be used. The final dish should be around 50% squid and 50% peas, so an amount roughly equivalent to the squid in bulk is what you are looking for. De-string if necessary and cut in half width-wise.

Cooking oil. I use rice bran oil, but any vegetable cooking oil is fine. Not olive oil, though.

Garlic.  I prefer this dish to be rather garlicky so I use one clove or more per squid. Adjust to your preference.

Ginger. An amount equivalent to that of garlic.

Red Chile. One or two small hot red chiles.

Shaoxing wine. See method. Note: Unlike elsewhere, Shaoxing wine sold in N. America is salted. So, cut back on adding salt if using American sourced Shaoxing.

Oyster sauce

Sesame oil (optional)

Salt

Preparing the squid

The squid should be cleaned and the tentacles and innards pulled out and set aside while you deal with the tubular body. Remove the internal cartilage / bone along with any remaining innards. With a sharp knife remove the "wings" then slit open the tube by sliding your knife inside and cutting down one side. Open out the now butterflied body. Remove the reddish skin (It is edible, but removing it makes for a nicer presentation. It peels off easily.) Again, using the sharp knife cut score marks on the inside at 1/8th of an inch intervals being careful not to cut all the way through. Then repeat at right angles to the original scoring, to give a cross-hatch effect. Do the same to the squid wings. Cut the body into rectangles roughly the size of a large postage stamp.

Separate the tentacles from the innards by feeling for the beak, a hard growth just above the tentacles and at the start of the animal's digestive tract. Dispose of all but the tentacles. If they are long, half them.
      Wash all the squid meat again.
      Method
      There are only two ways to cook squid and have it remain edible. Long slow cooking (an hour or more) or very rapid (a few seconds) then served immediately. Anything else and you'll be chewing on rubber. So that is why I am stir frying it. Few restaurants get this right, so I mainly eat it at home.

Heat your wok and add oil. Have a cup of water to the side. Add the garlic, ginger and chile. Should you think it's about to burn, throw in a little of that water. It will evaporate almost immediately but slow down some of the heat.

As soon as you can smell the fragrance of the garlic and ginger, add the peas and salt and toss until the peas are nearly cooked (Try a piece to see!). Almost finally, add the squid with a tablespoon of the Shaoxing and about the same of oyster sauce. Do not attempt to add the oyster sauce straight from the bottle. The chances of the whole bottle emptying into your dinner is high! Believe me. I've been there!

The squid will curl up and turn opaque in seconds. It's cooked. Sprinkle with a teaspoon of so of sesame oil (if used) and serve immediately!

• By liuzhou
      Big Plate Chicken - 大盘鸡

This very filling dish of chicken and potato stew is from Xinjiang province in China's far west, although it is said to have been invented by a visitor from Sichuan. In recent years, it has become popular in cities across China, where it is made using a whole chicken which is chopped, with skin and on the bone, into small pieces suitable for easy chopstick handling. If you want to go that way, any Asian market should be able to chop the bird for you. Otherwise you may use boneless chicken thighs instead.

Ingredients

Boneless skinless chicken thighs  6

Light soy sauce

Dark soy sauce

Shaoxing wine

Cornstarch or similar. I use potato starch.

Vegetable oil (not olive oil)

Star anise, 4

Cinnamon, 1 stick

Bay leaves, 5 or 6

Fresh ginger, 6 coin sized slices

Garlic.  5 cloves, roughly chopped

Sichuan peppercorns,  1 tablespoon

Whole dried red chiles,   6 -10  (optional). If you can source the Sichuan chiles known as Facing Heaven Chiles, so much the better.

Potatoes 2 or 3 medium sized. peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces

Carrot. 1,  thinly sliced

Dried wheat noodles.  8 oz. Traditionally, these would be a long, flat thick variety. I've use Italian tagliatelle successfully.    

Red bell pepper. 1 cut into chunks

Green bell pepper, 1 cut into chunks

Salt

Scallion, 2 sliced.

Method

First, cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and marinate in 1 1/2 teaspoons light soy sauce, 3 teaspoons of Shaoxing and 1 1/2 teaspoons of cornstarch. Set aside for about twenty minutes while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.

Heat the wok and add three tablespoons cooking oil. Add the ginger, garlic, star anise, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, Sichuan peppercorns and chiles. Fry on a low heat for a  minute or so. If they look about to burn, splash a little water into your wok. This will lower the temperature slightly. Add the chicken and turn up the heat. Continue frying until the meat is nicely seared, then add the potatoes and carrots. Stir fry a minute more then add 2 teaspoons of the dark soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of the light soy sauce and 2 tablespoons of the Shaoxing wine along with 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium. Cover and cook for around 15 minutes until the potatoes are done.

While the main dish is cooking, cook the noodles separately according to the packet instructions.  Reserve  some of the noodle cooking water and drain.

When the chicken and potatoes are done, you may add a little of the noodle water if the dish appears on the dry side. It should be saucy, but not soupy. Add the bell peppers and cook for three to four minutes more. Add scallions. Check seasoning and add some salt if it needs it. It may not due to the soy sauce and Shaoxing.

Serve on a large plate for everyone to help themselves from. Plate the noodles first, then cover with the meat and potato. Enjoy.

• By liuzhou
      Beef with Bitter Melon - 牛肉苦瓜

The name may be off-putting to many people, but Chinese people do have an appreciation for bitter tastes and anyway, modern cultivars of this gourd are less bitter than in the past. Also, depending on how it's cooked, the bitterness can be mitigated.

I'll admit that I wasn't sure at first, but have grown to love it.

Note: "Beef with Bitter Melon (牛肉苦瓜 )" or "Bitter Melon with Beef (苦瓜牛肉)"? One Liuzhou restaurant I know has both on its menu! In Chinese, the ingredient listed first is the one there is most of, so, "beef with bitter melon" is mainly beef, whereas "bitter melon with beef" is much more a vegetable dish with just a little beef. This recipe is for the beefier version. To make the other version, just half the amount of beef and double the amount of melon.

Ingredients

Beef. One pound. Flank steak works best. Slice thinly against the grain.

Bitter Melon. Half a melon. You can use the other half in a soup or other dish. Often available in Indian markets or supermarkets.

Salted Black Beans. One tablespoon. Available in packets from Asian markets and supermarkets, these are salted, fermented black soy beans. They are used as the basis for 'black bean sauce', but we are going to be making our own sauce!

Garlic. 6 cloves

Cooking oil. Any vegetable oil except olive oil

Shaoxing wine. See method

Light soy sauce. One tablespoon

Dark soy sauce. One teaspoon

White pepper. See method
      Sesame oil. See method

Method

Marinate the beef in a 1/2 tablespoon of light soy sauce with a splash of Shaoxing wine along with a teaspoon or so of cornstarch or similar (I use potato starch). Stir well and leave for 15-30 minutes.

Cut the melon(s) in half lengthwise and, using a teaspoon, scrape out all the seeds and pith. The more pith you remove, the less bitter the dish will be. Cut the melon into crescents about 1/8th inch wide.

Rinse the black beans and drain. Crush them with the blade of your knife, then chop finely. Finely chop the garlic.

Stir fry the meat in a tablespoon of oil over a high heat until done. This should take less than a minute. Remove and set aside.

Add another tablespoon of oil and reduce heat to medium. fry the garlic and black beans until fragrant then add the bitter melon. Continue frying until the melon softens. then add a tablespoon of Shaoxing wine and soy sauces. Finally sprinkle on white pepper to taste along with a splash of sesame oil. Return the meat to the pan and mix everything well.

Note: If you prefer the dish more saucy, you can add a tablespoon or so of water with the soy sauces.
      Serve with plained rice and a stir-fried green vegetable of choice.