• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Air Fryer topic

Keith_W

I bought the Instant Vortex Plus 6 in 1. The Plus (I think) refers to the window in the drawer and the odor filters.

I like naked wings too except for the LA Cage  wings at Costco.  If you are near a Costco Business Centre they sell fresh 6/10 wings which are larger than the grocery store wings.

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 1

Well the only accessory I use all the time are those silicon mats which you knew about even before I mentioned them, other than that rack)s0 are the only other thing I use. It will also depend on your cooking style - Amazon sell various Accessory packs which include various baking dishes for cakes, mini muffins, egg bites etc - worth picking up if you might see those procedures in your future.

That said, the most important accessory you should save up for is a second Instant Vortex!!!!!! 😛

p

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Are there any air fryer accessories that would be handy to have?

You probably already have the things I consider essential --  instant read thermometer, tongs for nonstick, spatula for nonstick.

I use parchment paper that I fold and punch holes in to make liners, but you already have the silicone liners.  I wouldn't want to be without some kind of liner.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chimayo Joe said:

I use parchment paper that I fold and punch holes in to make liners, but you already have the silicone liners.  I wouldn't want to be without some kind of liner.

Help me out here. I cannot get my head around the need for a liner. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, Chimayo Joe said:

Yeah, just for easier clean up.  I only use them for certain things.

OK I guess I just use a different route.

I bought the whole accessory kit but except for the small cake pan, it gathers dust.

I use the small cake pan and a couple of small stainless steel trays to avoid messes. So if I am going to cook a frozen chicken Kiev I will line a small tray with foil and confine the mess. 

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I ordered these, more for my built in oven than for the air fryer. But, I will use it if needed. I just line the sheet pan with the thinner foil.
51da8DIRBqL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I use one for the top of my APO to prevent scratches as I'm always putting something on any flat surface in the kitchen

p

• Haha 1

87DD6B8D-90A3-41F0-BB52-2C15B4A5A23B.thumb.jpeg.7884b5a9e5592fdd0c6346ac840dda28.jpeg

Shake ‘n Bake pork chop in air fryer. 400°F for 15 minutes with a flip half way through. Side of sautéed asparagus. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Taking a page from Anna N's book, I bought some Johnsonville brats and cooked them in the Ninja using the grill mode instead of the air fryer mode.  Use the Lo setting which is 400F and cooked them for 11 minutes.  They came out fine!

• Like 6

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Has anyone ever made granola in their air fryer?

Not me. I don’t even like granola but if Google is to be trusted people do indeed make it in the air fryer. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

The Original Air Fryer (also known as the Halogen Oven)

Was great on performance and capacity - not so much on clean up

p

71+g0R5zQJS._AC_SX569_.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I did a one kilogram lamb rack cut in half at 400f for 12 minutes.  Perfect and a nice ‘roasted’ taste to it.  No mess.

I love my air fryer.

That is very impressive. When you say cut in half do you mean that you cooked both halves at the same time?  Did you do any sort of a prep?  I think I am correct in believing that you have a basket type air fryer?

My 2004 eG Blog

I cooked both together…had to jam them in a bit.   Bone side down.  I salted them well in the am and then smeared some herb butter on top before cooking.  I have a basket air fryer..Philips.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Have done another couple of meals in the Ninja SP101, but thought I'd post THIS experiment on this thread: Portuguese Custard Tarts. I've made the recipe often but thought I'd try in the Ninja.
Googled recipe and instructions said 425F for 9 minutes on Air Fry. That didn't cut it. The pastry got barely golden.
Turned to Air Bake, 425 for 15 minutes per original recipe for the regular oven, and had to add another 5 minutes for the caramelized tops. Worth the wait

Custard Tart 7626.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

3 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Worth the wait

I’ll be right over! They do look delicious. One of my very favourite sweets. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N: Here's the recipe I use:

Portuguese Custard Tarts (Pasteis de Nata)

Servings: 12 commercial tart shells

For the Sugar Syrup:

• ¾ cup white sugar

• ¼ cup water + 1 tablespoon water

• 1 cinnamon stick (Optional) 1 lemon, zested in large strips (Optional)

For the Custard Base:

• ⅓ cup all-purpose flour ¼ teaspoon salt

• 1 ½ cups milk 6 large egg yolks 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (Optional)

Directions

Sugar Syrup:

• Combine sugar, 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water, cinnamon, and lemon zest in a pot. Boil over medium heat, without stirring, until syrup reaches 210 to 215 degrees F (100 degrees C) on candy thermometer. Remove from heat.

• Preheat oven 425 degrees F Place rack in middle of the oven.

• Whisk flour, salt, and cold milk together very thoroughly in a cold pot. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until milk just thickens, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for at least 10 minutes.

Whisk egg yolks into the cooled milk. Add the sugar syrup and vanilla extract. Mix until combined. Strain custard into a glass measuring cup.

• Take tart shells out of freezer. I put them into a muffin tin WITH the tin foil.

Fill each cup 3/4 of the way with custard.

Bake in the preheated oven until the pastry is browned and bubbly, and the tops start to blister and caramelize, about 12 -15 minutes. Cool tarts briefly and serve warm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Those tarts look amazing.  I love Portuguese tarts.  I've copied the recipe so I can make them.

I'm doing sweet potatoes right now and they will be followed by a whole chicken.  Hope they turn out.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, palo said:

Nice looking mat!

Oh and the chicken looks okay too 😛

What time and temp did you use?

p

I had it in the air fryer for 50 minutes @ 350F on roast.  It was really good, but the poor wings were a bit, a lot actually, overdone.  I think 45 minutes might have been enough.

• Like 1