Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Air Fryer topic


Keith_W
 Share

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, palo said:

Lots of recipes on their site:

Thanks for this. If it did nothing else it amused me. People who eat roasted grapes on ricotta toast I would not consider to be the demographic likely to own an air fryer.
I looked at what purported to be a recipe book for this air fryer (or perhaps a much, much bigger model) that called for the ingredients to be placed in a 9 x 13 pan!  The book is on special on the Amazon site for a mere $4. I downloaded a sample but I won’t part with even $4 for this. Sheesh. 
None of this should detract from the appeal of the air fryer itself but recipes such as these  set one up for disappointment.  
A little realism would be welcome. 

  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Tonight I cooked Johnsonville brats.  10 minutes and they were done and I think they were done before the ten minutes were up.  I am officially sold on this thing.

Brats makes sense; ricotta cheese toasts with roasted grapes not so much!

Edited by Anna N
Transcription error. (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Tonight I cooked Johnsonville brats.  10 minutes and they were done and I think they were done before the ten minutes were up.  I am officially sold on this thing.

I tried hard to find a YouTube review on this particular model (the one with the window) but was unable to find one. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

 This is pretty much the same as the one I'm looking at.  The one I'm looking at also has something called Odor Erase.  I didn't think this video was particularly informative, but then I don't really know what I was expecting.  I haven't found any other videos.

Edited by ElsieD (log)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Anna N - I'm not sold on the window feature - from my experience you have to open the tray to re-arrange/shake anyway you can gauge doneness at that time - regarding recipes, when I got my first air fryer I went crazy for recipe books As you said "ricotta cheese toasts with roasted grapes" might be something I'd consider in a restaurant, but not at home. Nowadays I decide what I'm going to cook (protein/veg etc) and check the web for time and temp. As far as seasonings and such I know what I like.

 

Brats are good as are frozen burgers!

 

p

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, palo said:

I'm not sold on the window feature - from my experience you have to open the tray to re-arrange/shake anyway you can gauge doneness at that time

That was my thought also. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

This is pretty much the same as the one I'm looking at.

Thanks. Only thing that strikes me as upgrade to mine is the plate rather than the basket. Looks so much easier to clean and so much less space in the sink!

Edited by Anna N
Transcription error. (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another video on the Instant Vortex (without window)

 

 

It's by ATK - shows a few cooking ideas and their results

 

p

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, palo said:

@Anna N - I'm not sold on the window feature - from my experience you have to open the tray to re-arrange/shake anyway you can gauge doneness at that time

That's my thinking, too.  Possibly useful but I'm not sure how useful. Chefman has a few windowed models, too.  The dehydrate function of the Instant Vortex interests me more than a window does.

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:


This is pretty much the same as the one I'm looking at.  The one I'm looking at also has something called Odor Erase.  I didn't think this video was particularly informative, but then I don't really know what I was expecting.  I haven't found any other videos.

Here's a video of the model you're considering.  It's compared to a couple of other windowed fryers.  I don't really like that youtuber's rating system because much of it seems irrelevant or trivial, but at least you can that fryer in action.


 

Edited by Chimayo Joe (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, palo said:

@Anna N - I'm not sold on the window feature - from my experience you have to open the tray to re-arrange/shake anyway you can gauge doneness at that time - regarding recipes, when I got my first air fryer I went crazy for recipe books As you said "ricotta cheese toasts with roasted grapes" might be something I'd consider in a restaurant, but not at home. Nowadays I decide what I'm going to cook (protein/veg etc) and check the web for time and temp. As far as seasonings and such I know what I like.

 

Brats are good as are frozen burgers!

 

p

 

If you find recipes on the web do you have to adjust cooking times based on the wattage of the machine?  Cosori has a nice little recipe book but my sister says she never uses it.  She too looks cooking time and Temps up on the internet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Chimayo Joe said:

The dehydrate function of the Instant Vortex interests me more than a window does.

But have you seen it demonstrated in any video or even mentioned? Not sure that such a small surface would prove very useful if you were seriously into dehydrating food. If you were happy with a little bit of jerky I suppose it would work. 

  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

 

If you find recipes on the web do you have to adjust cooking times based on the wattage of the machine?  Cosori has a nice little recipe book but my sister says she never uses it.  She too looks cooking time and Temps up on the internet.

I don’t really think that most of the drawer-type ones different very much in terms of their wattage. I would expect most things to cook at the same time and temperature in each of them. That said I am not impressed with most recipes I come across to be anything more than guidelines. Just like any other cooking, you learn from experience and it doesn’t take long for you to determine the best time and temperature. It would be helpful if somebody would produce a recipe booklet that addresses the things most people are likely to cook in an air fryer. Things like frozen french fries, chicken wings, frozen burgers, sausages, etc. That would prove to be a useful reference.  Gourmet dishes are not its strong point. 
At the moment I think the best reference is right here!  

  • Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Anna N said:

But have you seen it demonstrated in any video or even mentioned? Not sure that such a small surface would prove very useful if you were seriously into dehydrating food. If you were happy with a little bit of jerky I suppose it would work. 

I'll have another look.  I haven't ordered one yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I don’t really think that most of the drawer-type ones different very much in terms of their wattage. I would expect most things to cook at the same time and temperature in each of them. That said I am not impressed with most recipes I come across to be anything more than guidelines. Just like any other cooking, you learn from experience and it doesn’t take long for you to determine the best time and temperature. It would be helpful if somebody would produce a recipe booklet that addresses the things most people are likely to cook in an air fryer. Things like frozen french fries, chicken wings, frozen burgers, sausages, etc. That would prove to be a useful reference.  Gourmet dishes are not its strong point. 
At the moment I think the best reference is right here!  

 

Maybe what we should do is, every time we cook something in an air fryer, post to this thread the time and temperature used.  I'd be happy to collect the data and produce a chart, which I would update as time passes.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Anna N said:

But have you seen it demonstrated in any video or even mentioned? Not sure that such a small surface would prove very useful if you were seriously into dehydrating food. If you were happy with a little bit of jerky I suppose it would work. 

I haven't seen video of dehydrating food in that particular fryer, but I've seen it done in fryers that don't go that low in temperature with limited success.  Haven't ever tried it with mine.

 

i'm not seriously into dehydrating food and doubt that I ever would be, but someting like this would probably give me enough capacity.

image.thumb.jpeg.93257fc0c3b4c76f663abe09ef6ac186.jpeg

Edited by Chimayo Joe (log)
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Chimayo Joe said:

I haven't seen video of dehydrating food in that particular fryer, but I've seen it done in fryers that don't go that low in temperature with limited success.  Haven't ever tried it with mine.

 

i'm not seriously into dehydrating food and doubt that I ever would be, but someting like this would probably give me enough capacity.

 

Yes, indeed. That would be quite a reasonable capacity for a small batch of something. I just wonder how things tolerate the strong downflow. Unless of course the air fryer  has a dehydrator setting which reduces the airflow. Anyway it is an interesting concept. Thank you for chiming in. My mind is a little more open to the idea now. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Yes, indeed. That would be quite a reasonable capacity for a small batch of something. I just wonder how things tolerate the strong downflow. Unless of course the air fryer  has a dehydrator setting which reduces the airflow. Anyway it is an interesting concept. Thank you for chiming in. My mind is a little more open to the idea now. 

 

I wrote to Instant and asked them about the dehydration setting.  Will report back.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/7/2022 at 10:18 PM, mgaretz said:


That was a long time ago. Since then there’s been a BSOA and now the Ninja Foodi Grill which is an excellent air fryer in addition to being a grill and a dehydrator. I really like it plus it has a probe to measure the meat temperature when grilling. 
 

The comparison I was talking about was between the Ninja and the BSOA making fries from scratch. 
 

The Philips was retired long ago as I could never get it to stop smoking once I made the mistake of air frying some pork belly. 


Damn, I was really considering the Phillips. 
 

what do you use to grill in lieu of the PAG? 
 

ETA-reading comprehension is important! 😂. I have an airfyer that I love and use a lot and has a large capacity. Maybe I should start considering an electric grill. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This was their reply which didn't tell me much.  I specifically asked if the fan speed had been lowered for this setting which they did not answer.
 

 

Thank you for contacting us at Instant Brands, we're happy to help you!

Please be informed that the air is just hot enough to dehydrate the food inside and that it is enclosed inside a basket.

We hope this helps. Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any more questions or if we can offer you further support.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

High fan speed would probably conducive to dehydrating, all you have to be concerned about is a low temp (95 - 160F) those baskets Chimayo Joe referenced up thread will fit the Instant Vortex and give you about 192 square inches of drying space

 

p

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, palo said:

High fan speed would probably conducive to dehydrating, all you have to be concerned about is a low temp (95 - 160F) those baskets Chimayo Joe referenced up thread will fit the Instant Vortex and give you about 192 square inches of drying space

 

p

 

It seems to me that high fan speed would not be conducive to dehydrating anything that is light as whatever one is trying to hydrate would blow all over the inside of the machine, although that would probably not matter for say, beef jerky.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:


Damn, I was really considering the Phillips. 
 

what do you use to grill in lieu of the PAG? 
 

ETA-reading comprehension is important! 😂. I have an airfyer that I love and use a lot and has a large capacity. Maybe I should start considering an electric grill. 


I still use the PAG, but not as often as I used to. I did just use it the other night. Now, for indoor cooking I mostly use the Ninja Foodi Grill (the one with the temp probe).  It also air fries, dehydrates and roasts/bakes, but I haven’t tried the latter. At the moment my Costco has the the XL version with probe for $179. I got the smaller version there for $139 on sale. 

  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

 

It seems to me that high fan speed would not be conducive to dehydrating anything that is light as whatever one is trying to hydrate would blow all over the inside of the machine, although that would probably not matter for say, beef jerky.

Granted

 

p

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...