• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Air Fryer topic

Keith_W

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would post my latest "air fry".  Brussels sprouts done in the NFG on air crisp mode - 10 minutes at 390F with shake half-way.  The sprouts were tossed in a tsp of peanut oil with some salt and pepper.  Came out very good.  The BSOA can do this too but tkaes significantly more time.

nfg-brus.jpg.db5f6ec04c2f560891516deb695181bb.jpg

• Like 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

• 4 weeks later...

Back to fries in the NFG on air crisp mode.  A whole (medium sized) russet.  18 minutes at 390F.  Perfect!   Nice and crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside.  Only planned on eating half, but they all vanished somehow.

nfg-fries-2.jpg.f689700d5c20f55b11d236f63dcf313a.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

And finally here are the same fries made in the BSOA.  They were cooked on air fry mode at 425F for 22 minutes.  They were OK, but some were overcooked, others were undercooked, not many were just right.  (Didn't keep me from eating them.)  But the BSOA comes in a distant second to the Ninja Foodi Grill, so the win goes to Ninja.

fry-off-bsoa2.jpg.64b9b8f67454a55c3a922b95510e7c40.jpg

Next I am going to try fries in the NFG without the half hour water soak.  Instead I am just going to rinse them.  I do that anyway, putting them in a bowl, filling with water, dumping and repeating before the longer soak.  In the first two rinses you can see the starch in the water.  None in the long soak.  And why do we care if the excess starch is removed anyway?  Isn't one of Kenji' secrets to crispier oven potatoes to rough up the surface so more starch is exposed?

• Like 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

• 2 months later...

Another fries experiment:  It's common wisdom to soak the fries in cold water for 30 minutes before drying, oiling then air frying.  I have noticed that if I rinse the fries twice then after that the water doesn't get cloudy, so I wondered if just two quick rinses would be as good as 30 minute soak.  The answer is yes!  

nfg-fries-no-soak.jpg.db2f582cc77cbb5c1f24abaea3c0d77d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

• 4 months later...

564193E8-A588-4A51-AD14-D4D932EDBAA8.thumb.jpeg.fff2709651e80b8361ce2825007a925a.jpeg

@Kerry Bealwas chatting with me today about the Dutch potato spice as she headed to our local Dutch store for somee cheese. I did not want any of the spice but I did want some roasted potatoes. Here they are done in the air fryer (380°F for 20 minutes) I simply tossed them in a little olive oil and seasoned with some coarse salt. 

My favourite thing to do in the air fryer these days is Johnsonville brats. No fuss. No muss. No mess. I simply remove them from the refrigerator and from their packaging, place them in a nonstick tiny cake pan and bake them in the air fryer at 350°F for 15 minutes. I flip them at the half way mark. They are always perfectly cooked and there is no need to watch over them.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

54 minutes ago, Anna N said:

564193E8-A588-4A51-AD14-D4D932EDBAA8.thumb.jpeg.fff2709651e80b8361ce2825007a925a.jpeg

@Kerry Bealwas chatting with me today about the Dutch potato spice as she headed to our local Dutch store for somee cheese. I did not want any of the spice but I did want some roasted potatoes. Here they are done in the air fryer (380°F for 20 minutes) I simply tossed them in a little olive oil and seasoned with some coarse salt. 

My favourite thing to do in the air fryer these days is Johnsonville brats. No fuss. No muss. No mess. I simply remove them from the refrigerator and from their packaging, place them in a nonstick tiny cake pan and bake them in the air fryer at 350°F for 15 minutes. I flip them at the half way mark. They are always perfectly cooked and there is no need to watch over them.  

Thank you for reminding me of these simple uses for the air fryer and for some more good ways to cook potatoes. We've been traveling for 6 months and the air fryer has sat unused at home for all that time. Meanwhile, we came home with a surfeit of potatoes, and they're sprouting almost faster than we can use them. I think tonight it will be air fryer time!

• Like 6

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

4D594B8D-2FC2-409C-9DC4-36F9DD9FA94E.thumb.jpeg.da336307eb43a81f5383aae7fb7f2fe1.jpeg

chicken thighs tossed with smoked paprika, onion powder and garlic salt. Into the air fryer at 380°F for 20 minutes. I flipped them after 10 minutes. These were very small thighs and I think I could have cut a few minutes off the time. 

Edited by Anna N
Fix typo. (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

E2A0F31F-240E-40CA-8C33-FCC2694BFF50.thumb.jpeg.39892844aa09b829e7e5c15fa99d3342.jpeg

Carrots tossed in olive oil, sesame oil, soy sauce and then roasted in the air fryer at 350°F for 18 minutes. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna NI used your time/temp/pan recommendations for some Johnsonville bratwurst last night in the Cosori. They were perfect! I’ve done them many times before, but never at that low a temperature, and not in a pan. Loved the easy cleanup (no dishwasher here).

• Like 1

0628C9D0-BA6B-452A-BDB8-2ADA1A6D3657.thumb.jpeg.f1b404516bcc042cad5c0643334aef9d.jpeg

Chicken Kiev (frozen, store-bought) 360°F for 18 minutes.   Works every time.  Also  posted In breakfast thread. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 3

My 2004 eG Blog

157014AD-9593-4936-9D54-BE279FCF8B22.thumb.jpeg.bf398dd87a1821c484d97151b7aa704e.jpeg

Not everything works in the air fryer! Forget broccoli — the texture is horrible. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

My 2004 eG Blog

40 minutes ago, Anna N said:

157014AD-9593-4936-9D54-BE279FCF8B22.thumb.jpeg.bf398dd87a1821c484d97151b7aa704e.jpeg

Not everything works in the air fryer! Forget broccoli — the texture is horrible. 

Oddly chewy yet dark in places?

• 3 weeks later...

My sister is off cycling around Europe so I borrowed her Cosori air fryer.  If I really, really, really like it I will buy my own, make to be determined, but meanwhile, it's nice to be able to practice.  So far, I did up some chicken thighs, nice crispy skin but a tad overcooked.  Sweet potato fries, from frozen.  Fail.  A few were crispy, the rest a soggy mess.  A grilled cheese sandwich.  This one surprised me.  It was as about the same color coming out as when it went in.  I wasn't going to eat it but decided to run it under the broiler for some colour.  I may never eat a grilled cheese sandwich cooked any other way again.  Delicious .  Tonight I am going to cut some potatoes in small cubes and cook them up.  We'll rinsed, with a bit of oil and a very light sprinkling of  Dutch potato spice.  We are having smoked beef hash for supper and I thought I would do the potatoes this way and then mix them in with the rest of the stuff.

A couple of questions:  which air fryer do you have and would you get the same one again?  Do you use it as much as you thought you would?

I'm wary of buying another appliance.  I have a few expensive things that I rarely use and don't want to do that again.  Any and all suggestions are welcome.

• Like 1

I have a Cosori and I would definitely buy it again. As far as appliances go it was not terribly expensive. As I recall it was quite a bit less than $200 although I don’t know what they are now. 
I use it a lot but that is partly dictated by some handicaps that make other methods of cooking challenging. 

• Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

The Cosori I am using is really smaller one.  Tonight's spuds, while nice and brown, were not crispy.  I soaked them in water, dried them and tossed them in a touch of oil -a teaspoon maybe.  Cooked them using the root vegetable setting and shook them a few times while they were cooking.  They were Yukon Golds.  I don't think I'd repeat the exercise unless someone points me to a better way of doing them.

@Anna N Any suggestions for what I should try next?

To me, frozen foods tends to work best (fries vs potataoes) - I have the Instant (Pot) Vortex - pleased with its size and price - "oven" types not reccomended

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07VHFMZHJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

btw the way, I only paid CDN$139 back in November - watch for sales or Warehouse Deals

p

Edited by palo
added Amazon link (log)
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ElsieD said:

A couple of questions:  which air fryer do you have and would you get the same one again?  Do you use it as much as you thought you would?

I have this one. https://www.target.com/p/chefman-5qt-air-fryer-black/-/A-83469603#lnk=sametab
I had no experience with air fryers before buying mine a few months ago. I wanted one that had a square cooking area (more usable space for the size of the appliance), decent wattage for the capacity, dishwasher safe parts, and I decided the lift-out tray style might be easier to clean than the lift-out basket style.

I use it much, much more than I thought I would.  It works great.  The only reason that might make me not buy the same one again is that it's 5 qt., and I wouldn't mind having a slightly larger one. I've been happy enough with the brand and style that I'd probably buy this one. https://chefman.com/collections/air-fryers-1/products/turbofry-touch-air-fryer-1

Edited by Chimayo Joe (log)
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chimayo Joe said:

I decided the lift-out tray style might be easier to clean than the lift-out basket style.

My first air fryer was that type - after having it fall apart on to the floor I migrated to the type where the basket does not separate from the tray The tray is the basket - it has a removable grill in the bottom to catch grease and allow air circulation

p

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@Anna N Any suggestions for what I should try next?

I would say my greatest success would be cooking Johnsonville brats!  So fast and so mess free. 

• Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

13 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Sweet potato fries, from frozen.  Fail. 

I don't think sweet potato fries are ever crispy. (nor ever any good, but that's just a personal thing).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

18 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I don't think sweet potato fries are ever crispy. (nor ever any good, but that's just a personal thing).

I have had SP fries with a crispy coating of some sort.

With enough salt and black pepper SP fries are OK to me...never great though.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, palo said:

My first air fryer was that type - after having it fall apart on to the floor I migrated to the type where the basket does not separate from the tray The tray is the basket - it has a removable grill in the bottom to catch grease and allow air circulation

p

I think we're talking about the same type of design--a drawer with a removable tray(grill) that sits in the bottom of the drawer.

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I've had Alexia and McCain crinkle cut sweet potato fries in the air fryer. They get crispy, but the problem with those is that the edges of the crinkles have a tendency to get too browned, and over-browned sweet potato doesn't taste as good as over-browned white potato.  I haven't gotten around to trying straight cut sweet potato fries in the air fryer yet.  I'm hoping those will be easier to get right.  FWIW, I like McCain crinkle cut sweet potato fries better than Alexia.  Alexia crinkle cut have garlic & onion powder, too much for my taste.  I don't think Alexia straight cut sweet potato fries have that.

Edited by Chimayo Joe (log)