• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Air Fryer topic

Keith_W

34 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I'm wondering if it's partly the electrical limitations of a countertop appliance. You can only draw so much power from a standard outlet. For example, you can only broil on one side, not on both. And cooking times are reduced for anything that uses both chambers instead of just one, so I assume the cooking temps are basically reduced. 

For sure.  I forget what the wattage is but it is less than 1800W. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Here’s A link to the booklet that will show the various different times depending on whether you are using one basket or both baskets with different food items in them. 

• Thanks 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N 

thanks for looking into this w ref's.

I can see the baskets dimensions ...

for those w an air fryer  they use frequently :

how do the dimensions of these baskets translate to:

amount of food on the plate , using each basket

at its optimum ' fill '    ( ie  not necessarily

the maximum allowed / bin  )    the amount that gives the best results

I have both the APO and an Air Fryer (6.5 qt)

I use both

The APO for large items, items for a long cook, items I want to cook with steam, bread etc. - I don't do SV

The Air Fryer for quick, small items (fries, wings, burgers etc)

The APO is like a regular oven on steroids - does everything well.

The Air Fryer doesn't need preheating, it's good to go - small space, fan driven heat.

Cooking multiple items - wings 20 min/ fries 10 min. - set timer for 10 minutes, put in wings - after 10 min add the fries and reset the timer for 10 minutes has worked for me - if there is a large temp difference adjust the time - instead of 10 min @ 425 try 15 min @ 350

Using an air fryer doesn't need to be more complicated than a stove top burner.

The APO though has a bit more of a learning curve

p

• Thanks 3

IMHO the two basket concept leaves me underwhelmed - an unnecessary and over-hyped complication - one of the air fryer's main attributes is its simplicity.

p

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

the FF w FCkW

at the same time 

got me thinking of the size of each basket :

enough for ' 2 ? '   ie maybe just me ...

so , enough for 2 ? 

Yeah. I’m having a lot of trouble with the concept of french fries and chicken wings in the same basket even for one. But if it works that’s great. Suspect that broccoli and chicken wings might not fare quite so well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

Oh   No !

each would have to have its own basket

for the Ck and FF 

and I see seps  for the CkW & Broc's.

that's the point of the duo., Id say.

If you lived closer to me, @rotuts, I would consider re-gifting this air fryer to you!  🙂

You might get around to trying it out sooner than I would. Especially since we are thinking of selling our house and therefore even if I keep it, unlikely I will use it until we get settled into a new place. Need to keep kitchen counters clean for viewings, etc. Or I can donate it or return for refund and give proceeds to charity. The person who gave it to me knew I might not have a need for it and encouraged me to do whatever I wanted. I did her a favour and she wanted to repay me in some way though I told her nothing was necessary. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

So much has changed in my life since I sent my air fryer to a new home back in September 2017. For a start I have a roomie. My adult granddaughter lives with me. And she desperately wanted an air fryer. Further, due to physical constraints my cooking style has changed. So, after I read about the dual-basket model that @FauxPashad received as a gift, I began to think that I might now make better use of an air fryer. 
Although the two-basket model seemed to be an answer to my prayer, a bit of research suggested otherwise. The compromises in design needed to accommodate the two baskets pretty much negated the reasons for owning an air fryer. 
Longer cooking times and very small surface area of each basket took away much of its appeal. 
So I did more research. 
In the end, weighing features and price, I settled on the Cosori. 
My first use was truly a demented choice.  I thought I would cook some fresh broccolini. Don’t try this at home!

Then I came to my senses and made some tater tots and some asparagus both of which worked out quite well. 

2FDFBFA9-EFA8-48C4-9F35-94C3341D3893.thumb.jpeg.94d4e899b695e55283cefed57a9e65ea.jpeg

First attempt at the tater tots. Forgot to photograph the asparagus. 

The basket and drawer are  very easy to clean  but they take up a great deal of space as they drain. So I thought I would use the small cake pan which is one of the accessories in the kit that you can buy separately. That way I could just wipe the basket and the drawer with a piece of paper towel in case there was any oil on there and only wash the pan. This worked out even better.  Tater tots were much more crispy and browner. 

8BC42CAF-1507-4E8D-A7B2-E96C7893DB46.thumb.jpeg.877a992df0e5bbda7cb289c5b065d19b.jpeg

No photograph but I also successfully reheated a slice of frozen pizza. 
I have very little food that is appropriate to attempt in the air fryer so I probably won’t post very much until I get a grocery order. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Anna N  my sister bought the Cosori and is very happy with it.  As she lives alone, she bought the small one.

Nice. Thank you. For all intents and purposes I still live alone! Due to my granddaughter’s strange schedule we do not eat together. But I am glad I have the larger one so there’s more surface area for such things as fries. I hope I don’t relinquish this one until I’ve tried the crispy pork belly!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N 

nice tots !

like the mayo on the side.

I beginning to wonder what would happen if :

1 ) one SV'd pork belly 103.1  F ' until tender '

2 ) chilled the PB

3 ) sliced the PB into appropriate sized ' chunks '

4 ) air fried from cold PB chunks until very crispy ?

Im not sure I really want to know.

but I have a vision .....

It sounds eminently plausible. :)

• Sad 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

So, after I read about the dual-basket model that @FauxPashad received as a gift, I began to think that I might now make better use of an air fryer. 

We returned ours to the store for a refund. We just weren't sure we would make good use of it and didn't feel we had the counter space or the storage space for it. My friend wouldn't accept her money back, so I'll take her for lunch/dinner/drinks sometime and will also make a donation to the food bank. 

But @Anna N, I am still very interested in what can be done with an air fryer and will be very interested to see how your model works out and what kinds of things you cook in it! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

I don't have an air fryer but what I'd give to have my adult granddaughter living here.  I just sent her pictures of my latest baking.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

So over on the Ooni topic one might begin to wonder what happens to all those pizzas @Kerry Beal makes. Some of them get personally delivered to my house!

4B1C9849-982E-4177-B27A-080DC65F5B19.thumb.jpeg.fe27efd9d69ebef2edb9ae46e01487ae.jpeg

I now reheat slices in the air fryer. 

75AE3C24-1524-465D-91B6-2104645555F2.thumb.jpeg.c19464d041e9b8ec82afc0edd3321525.jpeg

I managed to mangle one slice. 

it is really something to have your own personal pizza delivery!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

58 minutes ago, Anna N said:

it is really something to have your own personal pizza delivery!

...and the delivery driver is seriously overqualified...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

712BBD62-6EF4-43FC-A482-4F073A99ED0D.thumb.jpeg.b9b71bb19c91d4c41c91d5bdddcef8be.jpeg Jamaican patty. From frozen 320°F for 20 minutes. Really crisped up the pastry. 

F3BA0EC8-2209-457B-9C16-B5E0F57CBB9A.thumb.jpeg.c8df63b4713a51b6378d2d12d90ee24c.jpegAsparagus which I am ashamed to say was past its best before date by some time. 400°F for 6 minutes. Still had a bit of a bite to it.

7EE7B3F9-123F-4880-8FF4-F457EA4CCBF3.thumb.jpeg.116a9ec339a0eaa7a3d2ff941ca5da88.jpeg0E23D90B-67E7-4C5F-9DB6-D55614AF5CB3.thumb.jpeg.fb386310a4b39e1715c69da4710839e8.jpegAnother one of my personal and personally delivered pizzas. 320°F for 5 minutes. Might go an extra minute or two in the future. 

706D990B-4805-4D2B-B5B5-40B6FCC67F94.thumb.jpeg.975d48a985ae52ff656911058f16d1a3.jpeg

Frozen meatballs. 350°F for 10 minutes. Would likely reduce it to 8 minutes next time. 

Not exactly Michelin-starred food but it keeps me out of the smoky pool halls. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Not exactly Michelin-starred food but it keeps me out of the smoky pool halls. 

That conjured up an immediate image of you, in a blue patterned dress, bent over a pool table, cue stick in hand, cigarette dangling from your lips, as you line up your shot.  Why the dress, I don't know, but that's sprang what to mind.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

On 7/13/2021 at 4:43 PM, rotuts said:

@Anna N 

nice tots !

2 ) chilled the PB

Why do the Sv step?

IIRC store bought bacon is cooked to around 125 or 130 f when you buy it and it seems raw.

On 7/13/2021 at 4:43 PM, rotuts said:

@Anna N 

nice tots !

2 ) chilled the PB

One of the reasons for the air fryer is to enable me to get more variety in my meals given my physical limitations. I think anything complicated will have to be relegated to thought experiments. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog