• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Air Fryer topic

Keith_W

double rats.

cleaning :

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=philips+air+fryer+cleaning

I pretty sure life before YouTube  was Mean , Nasty , Brutish   

certainly Primitive   

this vid :

shows the fan blows down on the heating coil and the geometry of the bottom then circulated the air w/o fat

around the food.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

double rats.

cleaning :

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=philips+air+fryer+cleaning

I pretty sure life before YouTube  was Mean , Nasty , Brutish   

certainly Primitive   

Pork belly perfection in under 30 mins? See the complete meals YouTube video for details.

I will not buy an airfryer

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

There's an App for it too!  

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The cleanup might give me pause, but this smells interesting.

Not sure what the hang up about cleaning might be....,compared to deep frying. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

It's a small convection cooker. It has nothing to do with frying. At 1,500 watts (20 watts are used for the fan), it is fairly low powered and good for small quantity of food. My hair dryer is 1,800 watts.

There are recipes it can work well, and there are many frying recipes it can't work. Potato chips for instance. It is mostly a dehydrator for making chips.

dcarch

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcarch said:

It's a small convection cooker. It has nothing to do with frying. At 1,500 watts (20 watts are used for the fan), it is fairly low powered and good for small quantity of food. My hair dryer is 1,800 watts.

There are recipes it can work well, and there are many frying recipes it can't work. Potato chips for instance. It is mostly a dehydrator for making chips.

dcarch

Don't take all the sport out of this! :D

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

you can call it anything you want.

but if :

A ) it quickly makes crispy calamari a la Chinatown's

B ) and  crispy FF's and 'Tots from the freezer

C ) $ 200 USD + Tax your area

Fantastic !

money-mouth.gif

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Don't take all the sport out of this! :D

As I said, it can cook many recipes better than other appliances, just not frying. We like fried food because we like oil and fat.

An air "fryer" can do very well with food that is fatty, like chicken wings, a small game hen, pork belly, etc. It can probably bake very well. It may even roast a small quantity of green coffee beans.

I would not mind getting one for my kitchen. I probably mod it to be a hot air sous vide cooker.

dcarch

• Like 1

""   It may even roast a small quantity of green coffee beans. ""

that's pretty interesting.  Ive been roasting at home for 15 years.

if it gets people to try home roasting  ---   those that really like coffee ---

another bonus, but a small one id guess.

N.B.: home roasting is addicting if you really like coffee and and find an easy way to do it at home.

• Like 1

@mgaretz  well said :

" it doesn't waste any oil "

cleans up easier "

" I don't have to figure out how to dispose of the waste oil, "

[Ed.:  Alton Brown on his GoodEats  did a whole turkey fried  ( outside ) http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/deep-fried-turkey-recipe/deep-fried-turkey2.html ]

he let the fat cool and as its a Vegetable, dumped it in his neighbors yard, at night  Just Saying ]

all the above appeal to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Cleanup is easy, certainly compared to the deep fryer.

I used to have a deep fryer on my counter.  There is a reason I got rid of it!

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@mgaretz - you certainly makimg wonderful thimgs in your air fryer!!

I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger/

Any suggestions regarding which brand/model? On Amazon.ca the prices range from $430 to $140. I don't want to spend more than I have to, but more interested in getting the one that will do the job!

p

image.jpeg Those are not my hands!

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, palo said:

Any suggestions regarding which brand/model? On Amazon.ca the prices range from $430 to $140. I don't want to spend more than I have to, but more interested in getting the one that will do the job!

p

I opted for the Philips because with the sale and coupon, it was almost as inexpensive as the clones of it.  The GoWise unit looks good, but what I didn't like about it was that evidently it turns off when you open to shake it, causing you to have to renter times and temp.  The Philips has a pause button or just keeps running if you don't press it.  Whatever you do, get the XL version as even it is rather small.

• Like 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

2 hours ago, palo said:

p

If you decide on the Phillips and you do not need the larger size then your best price may well be Cosco's. You do not need a membership to purchase off the Costco website.

My 2004 eG Blog

I went on-line to costco and found no air-fryers.

here are three phillips side by side from amazon :

Airfryer.jpg

second from the R is the @Anna N version , correct ?

I could not figure out the size difference  if any of the three Phillips models    however , maybe the model on the far L is smaller

and the two models are the same size  but the more expensive is a digital model.

looking forward to more cook'n

may thanks

here is the full ref. from amazon :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D7N43UA/ref=psdc_289918_t2_B00H8OATGG

Edited by rotuts (log)

@rotuts

Believe that is my model.  Cannot help you with the size differential. You might want to try Costco.ca website.

My 2004 eG Blog