Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Keith_W

The Air Fryer topic

Recommended Posts

Shoot.

 

 

edited because I shouldn't cuss here.  You know the word I meant.


Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a clean up thought :

 

as I understand the video's, high temp air is circulated with tiny droplets of oil suspended in the air.

 

this would add to the thermal density of the sir-system  in the same way steam adds to the thermal density of the air in a steam oven

 

thus transferring energy to the food faster.   

 

those small droplets have to also coat the parts that are above the basket and basket holder

 

how is that area cleaned ?   does residual fat above the basket ( if not cleaned ) become rancid affecting future use ?

 

I could not find an online  .pdf manual

 

anyone find it ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

a clean up thought :

 

as I understand the video's, high temp air is circulated with tiny droplets of oil suspended in the air.

 

this would add to the thermal density of the sir-system  in the same way steam adds to the thermal density of the air in a steam oven

 

thus transferring energy to the food faster.   

 

those small droplets have to also coat the parts that are above the basket and basket holder

 

how is that area cleaned ?   does residual fat above the basket ( if not cleaned ) become rancid affecting future use ?

 

I could not find an online  .pdf manual

 

anyone find it ?

Excellent question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not so sure that small droplets of oil get circulated around.  Certainly not by design.

 

That said, over time the inside will need cleaning and there are several YouTube videos on that.

 

And here's your YouTube calamari video: 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a link to the recipe booklet. 

 

I will not buy an airfryer

I will not buy an airfryer

I will not buy an airfryer

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

double rats.

 

cleaning :

 

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=philips+air+fryer+cleaning

 

I pretty sure life before YouTube  was Mean , Nasty , Brutish   

 

certainly Primitive   

 

this vid :

 

 

shows the fan blows down on the heating coil and the geometry of the bottom then circulated the air w/o fat

 

around the food.


Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

double rats.

 

cleaning :

 

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=philips+air+fryer+cleaning

 

I pretty sure life before YouTube  was Mean , Nasty , Brutish   

 

certainly Primitive   

Pork belly perfection in under 30 mins? See the complete meals YouTube video for details.

 

I will not buy an airfryer

I will not buy an airfryer

I will not buy an airfryer

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

of course, you would SV the various PorkB's and freeze rather than par boil   thaw and then do the above.

 

 

this is a lot more interesting that Indoor VolleyBall.

 

Beach VB is not on right now

 

O.o


Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

 

 

this is a lot more interesting that Indoor VolleyBall.

 

Beach VB is not on right now

 

O.o

STOP SHOWING ME THIS PORNOGRAPHY.

 

 

 

(yeah the brazil game was awesome)

 

Do I need a fryer?  No...I have a deep fryer that lives in the basement.

 

I don't need this.  

 

But it looks awesome.

 

Difficulty in cleaning would put me off, though.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Click

 

So if you can do calamari in the Actifry why not in the Phillips?  Do not just look at the photos read also. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

""   

Taste test? Absolutely fabulous. Incredibly moist, not dry at all, and it was mind blowing how tender they were. These look a lil better so they would present a lil better at a fancy do you were having. ""

 

that's very encouraging.   and from frozen.

are there thoughts that this might not work in the Philips ?

still don't have a Cosco Card.


Edited by rotuts (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed an interesting tip on one of the AF's vids :  brushing the screen w oil before adding your Stuff  , to help with clean up  makes sense 

 

but back to Chinatown Fried Squid, the game changer for me :

 

lets say the coating is cornstarch / seasoning.  lets say it sticks to the squid

 

where does your oil come from ?   would it have to be a light spray ?  I can't see mixing the squid at that point in a Tbs of oil.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's an App for it too!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Anna N said:

There's an App for it too!  

The perfect toy!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The cleanup might give me pause, but this smells interesting.

 

 

Not sure what the hang up about cleaning might be....,compared to deep frying. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a small convection cooker. It has nothing to do with frying. At 1,500 watts (20 watts are used for the fan), it is fairly low powered and good for small quantity of food. My hair dryer is 1,800 watts.

 

There are recipes it can work well, and there are many frying recipes it can't work. Potato chips for instance. It is mostly a dehydrator for making chips.

 

dcarch

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dcarch said:

It's a small convection cooker. It has nothing to do with frying. At 1,500 watts (20 watts are used for the fan), it is fairly low powered and good for small quantity of food. My hair dryer is 1,800 watts.

 

There are recipes it can work well, and there are many frying recipes it can't work. Potato chips for instance. It is mostly a dehydrator for making chips.

 

dcarch

Don't take all the sport out of this! :D

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you can call it anything you want.

 

but if :

 

A ) it quickly makes crispy calamari a la Chinatown's

 

B ) and  crispy FF's and 'Tots from the freezer

 

C ) $ 200 USD + Tax your area

 

Fantastic !

 

money-mouth.gif

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Not sure what the hang up about cleaning might be....,compared to deep frying. 

 

Cleanup is easy, certainly compared to the deep fryer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Don't take all the sport out of this! :D

 

As I said, it can cook many recipes better than other appliances, just not frying. We like fried food because we like oil and fat.

An air "fryer" can do very well with food that is fatty, like chicken wings, a small game hen, pork belly, etc. It can probably bake very well. It may even roast a small quantity of green coffee beans.

 

I would not mind getting one for my kitchen. I probably mod it to be a hot air sous vide cooker.

 

dcarch

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×