• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Keith_W

The Air Fryer topic

I just made the above noted hickory seasoning.  I cut the recipe down to 1/4 and it still made loads.  

I quite like it.  But, I think it will only make these little things more addictive.

• Like 1

I usually cook my zucchini sticks in the CSO but tried a few in the air fryer with much better results....crispier on the outside and much faster to cook. 

These are just finger sized batons of summer squash/zucchini.  Dust with flour; dip in seasoned beaten egg (this time I used chipotle but you can use whatever you like..Harissa paste; curry powder; Thai Red Curry paste. etc.) then a final toss in some bread crumbs.  They were cooked in the air fryer after about 5 to 8 minutes...wasn't looking at the time and I only had three in there as a test so a loaded machine may take longer.

• Like 3

I've done the "hickory sticks" with the julienne blade on my spiralizer, which makes them long and curly and therefore a bit cooler. :)

I just added a pinch or two of smoked paprika to the brown paper bag along with fine salt, and shook them vigorously. Not exactly the same flavor profile, of course, but very tasty nonetheless.

• Like 1

Wonder how the dutch aardappel spice would go with these?

Homemade samoas made in the air fryer.  Sprayed lightly with PAM; 392F for 4 minutes; flipped and cooked another 4 minutes.  Nice and crispy.  Admittedly, not as good as deep fried but pretty darn good.  I made some for the freezer because these are a quick snack/appetizer.

DSC02703.thumb.jpg.78128adb348408d84eeb56f29db4c58d.jpg

• Like 4

Trying to use up my garden potatoes before they go soft.  This was about 45 minutes work for two bowls of 'Hickory Sticks"

DSC02714.thumb.jpg.772488ea665d9701fee2dbd97e8cb9be.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Those look delicious @Okanagancook! Have you written before the time and temperature you use for this? Are these starchy or waxy potatoes, or does it matter?

I cooked up a batch of premade crab cakes yesterday and am convinced that my air fryer cooks items much more quickly than my oven for the same temperature. (This may be true of all air fryers, but I only have the one to go by.) The instructions for these crab cakes are to preheat the oven to 400F, put the crab cakes on a baking sheet in the oven, and cook for 24 minutes or until 160F in the center. I checked at 15 minutes or a little before. They were already quite brown and the interior was at least 160F. The rest of dinner wasn't done, so I reduced the temperature to something fairly low - 175, maybe - and turned the machine off at 20 minutes to prevent overcooking. 

I've never appreciated or used the 25F automatic offset in my full-sized oven using convection mode, but based on the quick cooking in this little air fryer I'm going to try that 25F reduction whenever I'm following standard (nonconvective) baking recipes. It appears this little unit has much more aggressive air flow than my oven.

20180919_190622.jpg

The crab cakes were done perfectly. We won't get this brand again, but we'll cook crab cakes in the air fryer again. I'll try potatoes again, too.

• Like 6

Yes, I find  the air fryer does cook foods quicker.   One needs to check frequently the first time you try something.

I have only used Yukon golds from the garden to make the hickory sticks but I think Russets would also work fine.

the potatoes are thinly sliced and soaked in water for at least 30 minutes.  They are dried and thinly sliced into sticks, tossed in 1teaspoon or so of duck fat or whatever fat you want, then put in a 390f air fryer for two or three five minute time periods with shaking in between until they are brown and crisp.  I toss them in my salt seasoning and spread on a sheet pan to cool.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 5