• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Keith_W

The Air Fryer topic

in thinking a bit more on the BV-A and the Cuisi-A

Im wondering what the clean up is like ?

4 minutes ago, rotuts said:

in thinking a bit more on the BV-A and the Cuisi-A

Im wondering what the clean up is like ?

That's a main question I have.

After having the CSO I now believe that all ovens should come with a steam cleaner.

So in an air fryer you spray oil on the food and bake it with a fan going.

Is the fan stronger than the BSO or something?

thats a good question and its hard to say.

certainly the BV-A has accessories trays that allow more air circulation

i.e. baskets 

looking forward to @ElsieD 's review

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

thats a good question and its hard to say.

certainly the BV-A has accessories trays that allow more air circulation

i.e. baskets 

looking forward to @ElsieD 's review

@rotuts  a posted a little review on the Breville Smart Oven Air topic, link above.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gfweb said:

So in an air fryer you spray oil on the food and bake it with a fan going.

Is the fan stronger than the BSO or something?

In super convection mode, yes.

• Like 1

French fries made in the air fryer.  MDe with about 1 Tbsp. of melted coconut oil.  Cooked for 20 mins. At 400F.

1 largish russet in a medium slices.  The smell of coconut while frying was a bit off-putting but there was no taste of it.

Next time I'll use about a third less oil.

0052264C-90A8-4A1F-968C-4A5544252E4A.jpeg

F9BE6AA6-4F2F-4D3E-AAA2-CD789A78C4E4.jpeg

CB4F400E-8E76-4E0B-B208-B8FF35F1EC46.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lindag said:

French fries made in the air fryer.  MDe with about 1 Tbsp. of melted coconut oil.  Cooked for 20 mins. At 400F.

1 largish russet in a medium slices.  The smell of coconut while frying was a bit off-putting but there was no taste of it.

Next time I'll use about a third less oil.

0052264C-90A8-4A1F-968C-4A5544252E4A.jpeg

F9BE6AA6-4F2F-4D3E-AAA2-CD789A78C4E4.jpeg

CB4F400E-8E76-4E0B-B208-B8FF35F1EC46.jpeg

How were they?

36 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

How were they?

They were quite good...maybe I'll give them a couple more minutes next time.

Every bit as good as most restaurant fries.  I did use seasoned salt, some before cooking, then some added after.

• Like 1

This thread got me hooked, not that I need more tools, but...

I decided to test the waters with this:  FrenchMay Air Fryer

It was on sale for around $55, so it was a safe choice that wouldn't break the bank.  Unfortunately the Phillips Air Fryer went on sale at just over $100 just after I received the FrenchMay and I would have bought that instead.  I've done a few items (sorry no pics) that have convinced me that this will be a great addition to the kitchen even tho it has be stored in the area known as "kitchen overflow".  It's large but not heavy. 

We started out with tater tots and they were incredible!  Almost worth the cost just for that.  Did brussels sprouts, homemade french fries, roasted winter veggies and tortilla chips.  Everything showed promise but there is a learning-curve of course.

Build quality is "middle of the road" but it appears that it will suffice.  If one were on the fence as to the purchase of an Air Fryer this might be the way to go.  If I really fall in love with the process I'll consider upgrading to the Phillips.

Steven

• Like 2

Do any air fryers go above 400 degrees?  I saw a video in which a woman set her very large (brand unknown) to 480 degrees.  Could she have meant 380?

Steven

21 hours ago, StevenHarris said:

Do any air fryers go above 400 degrees?  I saw a video in which a woman set her very large (brand unknown) to 480 degrees.  Could she have meant 380?

Steven

The Big Boss oil-less fryer can supposedly go up to 480° according to some reviews I read.

Roasted potatoes!

Yukon Golds cooked in the Instapot then tossed in rosemary infused oil and into the fryer at top temperature of 392 for about 20 minutes.  Crispy on the outside and pillowy soft on the inside.

DSC02289.thumb.jpg.0a6dc8f3ab0b25fce8c861352154a665.jpg

• Like 11

How long in the instant pot?  In the IP were they cooked in the water or steamed above?  Looks delicious.  I wonder what other foods would benefit from that combination of cooking.... 

I used Yukon Gold medium sized potatoes.  Peeled then quartered and put on a rack in the IP which had 1cup of water added to the main pot.  Steamed on high pressure for 6minutes with 10minutes natural release.  Next the quite soft potatoes were tossed in about 1.5 teaspoons of rosemary infused oil with a couple of grinding of salt and cooked in the air fryer for 15-20 min at 392f tossing every five minutes.  Russets work well too.

I think parsnips would be great done in this fashion.  Ditto for carrots and fennel..really any ‘roast vegetables’.

Edited by Okanagancook Add info (log)
  • Like 2

Thanks!  I just got a Secura Air Fryer.  My Breville Convection Oven gave out after 10+ years.  Going to try and use the Secura instead for the time being.....

Try a hamburger or pork chop in the air fryer, but you need to check frequently because it cooks very quickly.  What I really like is there is very little mess to clean up.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 1

I bought a Gowise air fryer. Got tired of dealing with smell and left over oil. Now that I have used for a while, I have found that it works well and is just big enough for the 2 of us. Heats a lot quicker than my full sized oven. Its 3.8 quart but I may donate this to one of the kids and get 5.8 quart. Got the Gowise as it was considerably cheeper than the Phillips and got good reviews. It came with perforated parchment liners for the basket. Those work good. Made fish and chips the other night. Instead of batter, I put beer in the egg and then did flour-egg-flour. Came out really good!

Mark

Edited by MArkF (log)
  • Like 2

I have been researching air fryers for hours today.  Some birthday money from last October is burning a hole in my Amazon account.  

I am just so torn.  Do I really need it?  No.  Do I want one?  Yes.  Which one?  I dunno.  There are a ZILLION different ones now.

Posted (edited)

I hummed a lot before getting one because I wasn’t sure I would use it and I sure was not going spend a lot of money on one so I bought a cheap no name for $100.  Now my brother and my nephew have the same one.  It works well and if it breaks down I would now probably get a bigger one and one that is highly rated.  I don’t want one with a non removable stirring arm

I think the the biggest thing about them is there ain’t no mess to clean up.  No grease splatter from frying hamburger, chicken, fish, sausages, potatoes, etc.  And especially the frites are worth it just for them.:D

happy birthday:x

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I hummed a lot before getting one because I wasn’t sure I would use it and I sure was not going spend a lot of money on one so I bought a cheap no name for $100.  Now my brother and my nephew have the same one.  It works well and if it breaks down I would now probably get a bigger one and one that is highly rated.  I don’t want one with a non removable stirring arm

I think the the biggest thing about them is there ain’t no mess to clean up.  No grease splatter from frying hamburger, chicken, fish, sausages, potatoes, etc.  And especially the frites are worth it them.:D

happy birthday:x

Thanks!  I need all the input I can get.  I've read through this topic at least twice today.

The Phillips is going for $170 on Amazon now.  Or there are several brands I've never heard of for $70-$90.  My eyes are crossed from reading so many reviews (I don't trust reviews on Amazon so not sure why I'm reading them lol).

We occasionally eat frozen tater tots and fries and I do them in the CSO.  But when @gfweb said that reheating fried chicken turned out well that kind of pushed me over the edge towards buying one.  I fry chicken--but I hate going to all of the mess to just fry a few pieces and we can't eat a whole chicken in one sitting lol.

• Like 3