• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Air Fryer topic

Keith_W

10 minutes ago, Kerala said:

What have I done?

Looking forward to hearing about your experiments. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

I delivered the Chefman air fryer to the intended recipients, along with my in-person training class.  Big success.  Demonstrated the Chung's vegetable egg rolls.   12 min at 400F with NO flipping halfway.  I have found the flipping unnecessary for my tastes and the recipients agreed.

They asked about cooking other stuff, which I thought was a great sign.  Frozen fries, dumplings, sausages/brats (thanks @Anna N), roasting cauliflower/vegs, chicken thighs and wings, pork chops, etc were discussed.

I liked the little Chefman (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) while I had it.  I'm thinking about adding one to my travel kitchen to go along with my A4Box.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just read through this entire thread (okay, I may have skimmed a bit on pages 20-30), and I don't see any mention that any of you have the oven-style air fryers.  Do you all just agree that the bucket/basket types are superior to the combo oven types?

21 minutes ago, CookBot said:

I've just read through this entire thread (okay, I may have skimmed a bit on pages 20-30), and I don't see any mention that any of you have the oven-style air fryers.  Do you all just agree that the bucket/basket types are superior to the combo oven types?

Well for a start there is a huge price differential between those models. I remember @Dejahhas the oven type and loves it but she has not posted in this thread? She posted in the dinner thread when she first got it and was very pleased with it. I think it was back in June so it would take some searching in the Dinner Thread. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Well for a start there is a huge price differential between those models. I remember @Dejahhas the oven type and loves it but she has not posted in this thread? She posted in the dinner thread when she first got it and was very pleased with it. I think it was back in June so it would take some searching in the Dinner Thread. 

Thank you, Anna.  I'll see if I can suss out Dejah's posts.

1 minute ago, CookBot said:

Thank you, Anna.  I'll see if I can suss out Dejah's posts.

It might be even earlier than June. 

• Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

• Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, CookBot said:

Thou skimmest too fast.  😉

I have the Breville Smart Oven Air (BSOA) and also the Ninja Food Grill.  I did a test of french fries from raw potato here: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

@mgaretz 

thank you for clarifying 

that an air fryer over is the BSOA

and an air fryer is the ninja // and ninja like systems.

as I understand it , either system will deliver good too very good results

when time and temp are tailored to each system.

Id like to hear from anyone who has an air fryer w a window .

that seems like a very useful feature , as long as these AF 

stand up for a similar time as the other option.

they seem suspiciously inexpensive , and I don't know what to make of that.

many thanks.

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@mgaretz 

thank you for clarifying 

many thanks.

The Breville Smart Oven Air Fryer (BSOA) has a window and a light and this is indeed very useful. 

The BSOA is anything but cheap, but it can do so many other things. It is the most used appliance in our kitchen after t he coffee maker.

I just wish it was a steam oven.

Having said all this, I still oil fry much more than air fry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, CookBot said:

I haven't done head to head comparisons (see @mgaretz) but I like the large volume of the Breville oven-type air fryer. I can make a shitload of wings in it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gfweb said:

I haven't done head to head comparisons (see @mgaretz) but I like the large volume of the Breville oven-type air fryer. I can make a shitload of wings in it.

Does the Breville really move more hot air than an Anova on the air-fry setting?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 hours ago, rotuts said:

@mgaretz 

thank you for clarifying 

many thanks.

I have the Instant Vortex Plus which has a window and a light.  You need to turn the light on to be able to see what's happening as the "window" is quite dark.

Quick question for anyone who is using a BSOA for air frying, how dirty does it get inside? That's 1 of our fears for using it as a air fryer.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

11 minutes ago, MSRadell said:

Quick question for anyone who is using a BSOA for air frying, how dirty does it get inside? That's 1 of our fears for using it as a air fryer.

I mainly use it for wings and it doesn't seem to get all that dirty. You could put a tray  1" under the fry tray to catch drips.

1 hour ago, MSRadell said:

I have never used the supplied air fry rack. Instead I use one of those “copper” crisper basket/tray combos and the oven stays very clean. 

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

1 hour ago, mgaretz said:

I have never used the supplied air fry rack. Instead I use one of those “copper” crisper basket/tray combos and the oven stays very clean. 

If it's not the drip, it's the splatter

p

13 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Do you have a link to what those are, exactly? 

On 9/24/2022 at 7:46 AM, gfweb said:

"Shitload" was one of my metrics for comparison shopping.  :)

I decided I need a countertop oven.  My home diet is about 75% leftovers from my job, but when I'm cooking for myself on the weekends it's just stupidly wasteful to use the big oven in the range.  I've been looking at countertop ovens and air fryers, and I decided my air fryer use would be so low that I should get a multi-oven type.  I wanted to be able to do some pie, bread, and cake baking and I don't see anyone doing that successfully in a bucket-type air fryer.

The Breville SO was my first choice (so highly rated everywhere), but a bit out of my price range.  I settled on

this one (eG-friendly Amazon.com link).   from Cuisinart, because I found it at 70% off in a discontinued color. 

Just got it, and all I've done so far is roast a 5# chicken, bake scones and air fry some frozen clam strips.  No complaints yet, but I'm sure they'll come as I spread my wings.  (Get it?  Wings?  Air fryer?  Oh, never mind.)

The cast iron cocotte I use for baking no-knead bread fits in it, so that'll be my next experiment.

32 minutes ago, CookBot said:

bucket-type air fryer.

I think it unfortunate that so many varied small kitchen appliances have been tagged with the air fryer monicker. It has been pointed out elsewhere that whatever you call them they are all simply powerful convection ovens.

But it becomes almost an impossible task to compare a bucket type air fryer with an oven type air fryer. they different so much in price, footprint, capacity, not to mention versatility. 

Incidentally, the appliance for re-heating leftovers is the Cuisinart Steam Oven (CSO) now unfortunately discontinued! 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog