• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Air Fryer topic

Keith_W

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Lunch for an appliance junkie.  Lamb chops rolled in Trader Joe's South African Smoke seasoning and cooked on grill pan in Air fryer 200C x 10 mins. Tiny potatoes cooked in Instant Pot with 1/2 cup water, steamer basket high pressure x 6 mins, quick release and served with tomato butter.  Salad of tomato, cucumber, scallion dressed with oil and vinegar and prepared with my favourite ceramic knife. 

This was so speedy and so untroublesome.  I think I need to admit to a certain prejudice that makes me favour the Airfryer in a way I might not have done  when conservation of energy (mine!)  wasn't quite so much in the forefront.

Having said that this lamb chop was as good as any I have made.   Next time I might reduce it to eight minutes but I wouldn't change anything else. I did not even have to flip the chop.

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, rotuts said:

nice     very nice 

how did you get the color on the potatoes ?

if you are ever able to do this again , Id love to see the LambChop cut at an 8 min cook.

There is no colour on the potatoes other than the tomato butter. Yes, when I make it again I will show at 8 minutes. 

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpegd

And this is how an Air fryer becomes dangerous. Feeling particularly unambitious but hungry I tossed some tots into the Air fryer and ate them with spicy date tamarind sauce.  

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

My friend has an air fryer. It is pretty damn cool. It cooks things very quickly, and it does make them crispy without as much oil as deep frying. He made a baked potato in it so fast, I couldn't believe it. The outside was crisp too. That's never happened for me in a regular oven!

3 hours ago, StuartGrows said:

My friend has an air fryer. It is pretty damn cool. It cooks things very quickly, and it does make them crispy without as much oil as deep frying. He made a baked potato in it so fast, I couldn't believe it. The outside was crisp too. That's never happened for me in a regular oven!

Now that's interesting. Can you ask for the time and temp please?

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

image.jpeg

McCain straight cut frozen fries. 15 mins at 200C.  They tasted ..... Healthy......virtuous BUT NOT DELICIOUS.  I wanted to dip them in some seasoned duck fat.xD Like drinking non-alcoholic wine or eating kale. Raher have real fries once a month than have these once a week!   Fat = Flavour. 

Edited to say:.  Will give them another try tossed with a tablespoon of oil or fat.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N 

Duck fat has been proven to be ' therapeutic '   

this is actually true.

would you be able to lightly coat them in that ?

re ; Duck Fat :

Feathered Friends that land in ice cold water have a different fat system :  if , lets say they had Chicken Fat as their Fat-Systrem

once they landed on an ice covered pond , their feet would solidify and that would be that.

sometimes  Nutrition is Simple.

Swans , Geese , etc  the same.

tink about those Penguins !

• Like 1

@Anna - frozen McCain Steak cut fries

olive oil + seasonings (garlic, salt, pepper) or whatever, in a bowl

toss fries, 10 min, flip 10 min more in cso, 450 no steam

= restaurant fries!

You need to use a thicker cut to tand up to the oven otherwise you get overdone tasteless potato chips

p

Char siu in the Air Fryer!  Wow!  Best I have ever made.

This was about a pound of boneless "country style ribs" (aka pork shoulder).  Marinated with NOH brand Char Siu mix (by sprinkling the dry powder in a zip lock bag) for a day.  10 minutes at 360F, then basted with honey and then 5 minutes at 390F, basted again and another 3 minutes at 390F.  I used the grill pan accessory.  Easy clean up.

The char siu was then cut and used in a stir fry of mushrooms, snow peas, carrots, onions and bean sprouts.

cs-w.jpg

cs-c.jpg

cs-p.jpg

• Like 9

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

53 minutes ago, palo said:

@Anna - frozen McCain Steak cut fries

olive oil + seasonings (garlic, salt, pepper) or whatever, in a bowl

toss fries, 10 min, flip 10 min more in cso, 450 no steam

= restaurant fries!

You need to use a thicker cut to tand up to the oven otherwise you get overdone tasteless potato chips

p

Thanks. But this is not about how to best cook frozen fries but about food in an Air Fryer. 

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Was attempting to excavate my food morgue this morning when I came across these small, thin pieces of sirloin. Dusted them with the Trader Joe's 21 spice salute,  200°C for five minutes flip and give them five minutes more. Perfectly adequate for such unpromising pieces of protein.

@mgaretz

Very impressive.  I think I am most impressed with the ease of cleanup.  

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

@mgaretz  

that CS is exceptionally impressive !

Ive used the NOH brand before   but have never put pork in in the refrig for 24 hours before

how think did you cut the pork ?  you cut it before the 24 hours in the refrig ?

that looks exceptionally delicious

thanks for posting !

13 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@mgaretz  

that CS is exceptionally impressive !

Ive used the NOH brand before   but have never put pork in in the refrig for 24 hours before

how think did you cut the pork ?  you cut it before the 24 hours in the refrig ?

that looks exceptionally delicious

thanks for posting !

The pieces started out about 1x1x3" and they were pre-cut before marinating.  I actually put them in the fridge about 10 am the day before cooking so they were more like a day and half.  I flipped the bag over every now and then.

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

45 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Thanks. But this is not about how to best cook frozen fries but about food in an Air Fryer. 

Okey dokey, substitute "toss" for "Flip" and delete "cso" and "no steam"

Should work.

MOST importantly add an "s" to beginning of the word "tand"

p

image.jpeg

Peach "clafoutis".  Should have made a foil sling to extract the hot dish!   Still proves how versatile it can be.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, palo said:

Okey dokey, substitute "toss" for "Flip" and delete "cso" and "no steam"

Should work.

MOST importantly add an "s" to beginning of the word "tand"

p

You can still edit your post to fix the typo. Appreciate suggestions.

My 2004 eG Blog

They certainly LOOK tasty, though.

21 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

McCain straight cut frozen fries. 15 mins at 200C.  They tasted ..... Healthy......virtuous BUT NOT DELICIOUS.  I wanted to dip them in some seasoned duck fat.xD Like drinking non-alcoholic wine or eating kale. Raher have real fries once a month than have these once a week!   Fat = Flavour. 

Edited to say:.  Will give them another try tossed with a tablespoon of oil or fat.

@lindag

I started thinking about it this morning.  There is crispy as in oven-baked/air fryer baked fries and then there is crispy as in fries cooked in oil. They are not the same!  There is likely a chemical/physics explanation. The crispiness produced by dry heat (hard, powdery) is quite different than that which you get from deep-frying (I can't find the right words) but it is the latter that make deep fried potatoes irresistable and baked fries so meh. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Sweet potato puree with smoked paprika. Potato baked 200C x 45 mins (about the same as in the smart oven).  Mashed with butter, cream and a very generous amount of sweet smoked paprika. Shake N Bake chicken thigh 200C x 25 mins.  The potato was quickly re-heated in microwave. Even if you don't have an air fryer that potato is a worthy side. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

"Grilled"? Roasted? corn. Rubbed with olive oil and cooked 200C x 14 minutes. Not as good as sous vide corn but perfectly respectable. Easy-peasy. No muss. No fuss. 

Edited to add that I used the grill pan. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

39 minutes ago, rotuts said:

well    ....

how did you fit an ear of corn in the PAF ?

Room to spare!  I will show you shortly when I have a minute. 

My 2004 eG Blog